How I lost almost half my body weight (with images)

robs_ready
robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
m5xabso3q1fa.jpg

Hey peeps,

Just wanted to share this with you all, I started out at 22stone and 6lbs back in April 2013, after a pretty awful time in my life, I decided I wanted to get back on track.

I currently now way 14st and 6lbs, I have lost a total of 8 stone by doing no cardio, and only weight training.

There is a lot of information out there, which is confusing, and only discourages people from continue their journey, I'm going to break down the most basic aspects of my journey, which I strongly believe can be applied universally.

1. Diet - diet is essential, but more importantly, macro nutrients. Personally, if you are going to go down the weight training route to lose weight, you need to make sure you eat some carbs before and after your workout. Other than that, stick to eating mostly protein sources and fat, yes fat. Where possible stick to real food, chicken, tuna, turkey and beef. For carbs, I would suggest eating less than 60-70 grams a day, which is about 3 bananas or a cup or two of rice.

2. Exercise - It's up to you how you do this, if you have a lot to lose stick to low impact cardio, you want to be able to do 30 mins a day without putting too much pressure on joints etc... swimming, walking, cross trainer, cycling etc...

I would suggest you start with weight training, and do some light cardio in combination. Weight training increases your metabolic rate for up to 24 hours after you train. As you lose weight you will lose muscle density, therefore weight training is essential in my eyes.

Weight training does not have to be benching 100kg, or using 20kg dumbbells, I would stick to high reps, low weights to begin with, and build up your profile from there.

3. Supplementation - I strongly believe in magnesium, zinc and Vitamin D supplements, I do not believe in protein shakes and I do not believe in creatine.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - AVOID SUGAR AS BEST YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THAT CHEAT DAY ONCE IN A WHILE.

It has taken me over 2 years to get to where I am now, and I am very close to reaching my goal, losing weight is an enjoyable experience, the positives you gain from it are worth it in the end, and the compliments keep you ticking by.

Rob

Replies

• ishasharma0704
    ishasharma0704 Posts: 22 Member
    Great transformation ! Amazing really! You look great! I absolutely hate cardio but sometimes do HIIT just because it needs to be done. Also great reminder for upping my fat intake. I have noticed it keeps me full for longer. Again, well done!!!
  • robs_ready
    Hey, I forgot to mention HIIT, would definitely recommend for those that hate cardio. And agreed on the fat!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    You look so fit..and thanks for you easy basic info..that does seem very doable. I think it gets hard when we want fast results..but you just stuck with a sensible routine and two years later you have arrived. :)
  • robs_ready
    Thank you very much, fast results often lead to yoyo dieting and that can be more damaging in the long run. Definitely agree!
  • brandid34
    brandid34 Posts: 154 Member
    Great job, great advice. You look awesome :)
  • robs_ready
    Thanks Brandi :)
  • NerdLifeStace
    NerdLifeStace Posts: 11 Member
    Incredible!!!!! Great results! *thumbs up*
  • robs_ready
    Thanks stace, looking good as well!
  • Nice job, your arms look excellent as well.
  • mariazm_840
    mariazm_840 Posts: 16 Member
    Congrats dear. Can you please share your diet
  • sueann10
    sueann10 Posts: 74 Member
    Wow Such an inspiration! You look amazing!! Well done. For those that don't like cardio, I think the key is finding something you love. I hula hoop in the morning and evening which has helped me burn those calories.

Well done!
  • robs_ready
    edited December 2015
    Congrats dear. Can you please share your diet

Yeah sure thing.

During the process I ate mostly good protein sources, tuna, chicken, eggs, Turkey, steak and good carbs I.e brown rice, oats, vegetables, fruits as well as good fat sources, nuts, seeds.

Once I got to a good stage I did a ketogenic diet and lost considerable weight in about 2 months.

There is no better diet for the human body than natural produce that grows in the ground and comes from the earth, can't stress that enough.

Enjoy a cheat day once in a while as well
  • robs_ready
    sueann10 wrote: »
    Wow Such an inspiration! You look amazing!! Well done. For those that don't like cardio, I think the key is finding something you love. I hula hoop in the morning and evening which has helped me burn those calories.

Well done!

Thank you and I agree, I've actually begun enjoying cardio for the first time in my life hah!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Awesome Job Rob ......Congrats :)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Wonderful!
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Awesome. Good job.
  • Cathscottage
    Cathscottage Posts: 75 Member
    Great effort. Thank you for sharing photos. I also really appreciate the simplified diet and exercise tips. You know enough to be a great personal trainer. Look awesome indeed.
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Well done and great advice
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Great job losing weight.

Your belief in certain vitamins, but not in an essential macro have no bearing on their ability to work or provide benefit. If you already are sufficient in those vitamins/minerals, then there is no need to take them. Protein and creatine are not required, but sometimes useful. Same with avoiding sugar or carbs, which isn't required by any means for the vast majority of people. Get your protein (0.64-0.82g/lb per day), get your fat (0.35g/lb per day) and the rest of your calories can be whatever you want when it comes to macros. Meal timing also has very little impact (if not none), and for the average person looking for reasonable results it doesn't matter.

Most of your advise is reasonable, but some is personal decision. Do what works for you, but by no means does everyone need to eat really low carb to lose weight and look good.

Good luck!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Do what works for you, but by no means does everyone need to eat really low carb to lose weight and look good.
    +1000 :)

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!