Good app bad community

Options
Hello everyone!
I joined this app approx. month ago and found it very useful: tracking calories in/out, nutrition, exercises, reports (weight) and so on. I really like it.
However, community is quite awful all those replies like: "nice burn", "keep going", ''good job" aren't motivated at all (at least for me). No personality. People don't even look like what you did and how you've done it. Saw 700+ calories=nice burn.

Just my opinion. No offence.
Good workouts to you all

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    "You all suck, no offence".

You have 3 posts and no friends, you're not really the contributing type yourself, are ya?

You get out what you put in. Looks like you've put in 9/10ths of bugger all.
  • robguitar
    robguitar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My experience has been quite the opposite. Only been using MFP since Friday and I've made friends with some really cool people who are very encouraging and supportive.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    triarian wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    I joined this app approx. month ago and found it very useful: tracking calories in/out, nutrition, exercises, reports (weight) and so on. I really like it.
    However, community is quite awful all those replies like: "nice burn", "keep going", ''good job" aren't motivated at all (at least for me). No personality. People don't even look like what you did and how you've done it. Saw 700+ calories=nice burn.

Just my opinion. No offence.
    Good workouts to you all
    03xgb3mhu0cx.png

I think your expectations are too high for an internet community.

If you have specific questions, you can ask those and you'll most likely get detailed responses. For day-to-day status reports? "nice burn", "keep going", ''good job" are perfectly adequate comments.
  • triarian
    triarian Posts: 6 Member
    Options

You have 3 posts and no friends, you're not really the contributing type yourself, are ya?

as i said. awful
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    People don't owe you anything.

I keep MYSELF motivated.

I have met very nice people on MFP, but I don't have any expectation that they are somehow contractually obliged to hold my hand and cheer me on, just because they added me as a friend. I only comment on 3 or 4 of their posts a day (out of a big group), so how can I expect all of my posts to be commented on?

People are not sitting around all day waiting for you to post so that they can cheer you. We all have lives.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

as i said. awful

You started a thread to tell a whole community how they suck and don't live up to your standards and expected... what?
  • KikiBerry
    KikiBerry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well.. "keep going" towards your goals anyway. Honestly, the community won't get you to your goal.. tracking, logging and sticking to the plan will get you to your goal.

Track here and find another community that can give you the support you're looking for.

*Best of luck to you!*
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    ...community is quite awful all those replies like: "nice burn", "keep going", ''good job" aren't motivated at all (at least for me). No personality. People don't even look like what you did and how you've done it. Saw 700+ calories=nice burn.

What sort of replies do you contribute? What personality are you offering?
  • triarian
    Options
    KikiBerry wrote: »
    *Best of luck to you!*
    Thanks. To you too.
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I keep MYSELF motivated.
    I didnt said that I dont motivated. I trained twice a day. I just dont understand why is the community for. Having 100+ friends and basically dont care what they are doing.
    seska422 wrote: »
    Yea. Thanks. Probably that's it.
    what?
    still awful. brrr.... you're quite unpleasant person
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    KikiBerry wrote: »
    *Best of luck to you!*
    Thanks. To you too.
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I keep MYSELF motivated.
    I didnt said that I dont motivated. I trained twice a day. I just dont understand why is the community for. Having 100+ friends and basically dont care what they are doing.
    seska422 wrote: »
    Yea. Thanks. Probably that's it.
    what?
    still awful. brrr.... you're quite unpleasant person

Really? I find the person who has made no effort to interact, expects people to have thrown themselves at him when he hasn't even bothered to try to reach out, is judging and calling people awful for not living up to his unrealistic expectations is the one who is rather unpleasant. The irony is your posts is stunning.
  • triarian
    Options
    Really? I find the person who has made no effort to interact, expects people to have thrown themselves at him when he hasn't even bothered to try to reach out, is judging and calling people awful for not living up to his unrealistic expectations is the one who is rather unpleasant. The irony is your posts is stunning.
    I'm familiar with this psuedo-philosophy. Good luck to you too
  • citylife624
    citylife624 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're getting at, but you could have worded it better, mainly by not saying the community, as a whole, is awful. Not everyone in the community is awful, and you're not yet qualified to make that comment, having not dealt with everyone in the community within a month (that statement is not said with an attitude, it's just facts). Read your post again. Anyone who is the supportive/motivating type (like me) would not even want to reach out, considering the fact that you already find me awful, since I'm part of this community. But, to be honest, I don't have any friends on here yet, mainly because I'm still learning the app. But sheesh, how odd that you already find me awful before I even get started.
  • eTrevor79
    eTrevor79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've only been on 15 days. I've had to work at it and put myself out there to find mates. I find those small words of encouragement working for me. Good luck finding what you need OP.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I find the community unintentionally hilarious a lot of the time.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you expect them to write ?? I think something like " nice" or way to go " is absolutely fine . do you think they should write you a paragraph about how wonderful your workout was ? I mean really, think about this.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Bad community. Bad, bad community! LMAO.

I self-motivate because no one else can do that for you. Seems to be working - I'm down 76 lbs. ;)

I don't have my exercise, weight losses, closing my food diary, or the number of days I've logged in for showing up on my wall automatically. I turned those auto-functions off. So OP if and when you get some friends you might want to do that, too, so as not to be disappointed when they fail to respond within your standards of what is acceptable or motivating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    Please note the following forum guideline:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.