Christmas dieting :)

I'm curios to know what everyone plans on doing next week with their diets on Christmas day. Are you tracking the food you ate? Are you having the day off?

Replies

• wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    I'm doing the same thing I did for Thanksgiving. I'm going to be logging everything and eating what I enjoy until I'm satisfied. I didn't manage to go over my calories on Thanksgiving (though I was hoping I would) but maybe I will on Christmas. I'll be making my Peanut Butter Fudge and it has always been easy to eat myself sick on that. Guess we'll see what happens this year!
  • MissLincolnTaylor
    MissLincolnTaylor Posts: 66 Member
    Peanut butter fudge sounds delicious!! X
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    I don't celebrate Christmas (I'm not religious). In Christmases past I have spent the day eating food and binge watching television at home with my pets. Everything is closed so it was an excuse to be lazy. This year I have access to a 24hr gym, so I'll be working out and just having a normal day. I'm lucky. Christmas seems like such a crazy hassle.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    "Christmas" and "Dieting" don't belong in the same sentence, in my opinion! :)

I don't plan to go utterly overboard for the entirety of next week - I'd probably feel very, very sick. Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I will not track and I will not decline food due to calorie restrictions. It's Christmas! It's a day for being around my family, sharing love, breaking bread etc etc. The following week is new years eve where I also aim to put down the tracker. A few days after that, it's my birthday - bye bye tracker. Sure, I'll probably gain a few pounds but I'm more than happy for that to happen if it means I'm having a memorable, happy Christmas period.

I'll get right back on track once the festivities finish. It's fine!
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    I am spending Christmas with a small group of close family and we have decided to have a fondue (very retro..). There will be lots of interesting cuts of meat and sausage for us to fondue as well as a selection of veggies. Those of us who have no issue with carbs (myself included) will add some bread. We will finish with a chocolate fondue!

I will log everything and I will surely be over but it is not a big deal, it is just one day. I have already overcome plenty of other party hurdles this festive season and I am still losing.

My success the rest of December seems to hinge on my ability to not fill my house with additional treats like Christmas cake, mince pies and that sort of thing. I have managed to do that so far. Those things are my downfall - but if I don't see them or smell them or have a single one, I am fine. Moderation works for everything except mince pies! (I can nosh a tray).
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I am spending Christmas with a small group of close family and we have decided to have a fondue (very retro..). There will be lots of interesting cuts of meat and sausage for us to fondue as well as a selection of veggies. Those of us who have no issue with carbs (myself included) will add some bread. We will finish with a chocolate fondue!

This sounds so delicious and FUN!

I don't really track for Christmas gatherings...I just do my best to practice moderation. Sure, I'd love that treat, maybe even 2, but I don't need 6 :) I tend to skip things we have regularly (i.e. potatoes) in favor of those special holiday foods.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    I am going to just eat what I feel like eating. It will slow my weight loss down a tiny bit, but Christmas is a time for indulgence to me! Given that I'd have to overeat by 3500 calories to gain a pound, I doubt I will gain any significant amount of weight.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    I tracked on Thanksgiving and stuck to my calorie and macro goals, I just saved them all for dinner.

I don't intend to track on Christmas but I may end up tracking because I'm a bit of a control freak with it.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    I'll be tracking, but not passing up on anything tasty. That said, I've just looked at my diary from two years ago (last Christmas I was on hiatus and didn't track) and I want to at least make better choices on the in between days. Soooo many leftovers that year!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Will be eating at/near maintenance until right before Christmas, then not tracking at all until the first week of January. We're traveling about 1,000 miles one way, and will be in the car, hotels and visiting family during that time so the last thing I'm going to do is stress over food. I'll be too busy being stressed over spending 4 days in the car with my family. lol
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    I've been eating between TDEE-20 and maintenance for the last few weeks, even above maintenance on separate days (my birthday) and it avarages out to about a pound a week loss or just under. So I intend do go on like that, keep tracking everything as best I can, eat all the delicious food in quantiites that satisfy me without going overboard, and hopefully even end up a little lower after new year's, be it even just a pound compared to now.

I find tracking, even when I am not restricting the calories, helps me realize when I am full and not go on eating mindlessly.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    I'm going to just enjoy myself on Christmas day and New Year's Eve and accept that worst case scenario, it just extends the amount of time it'll take to get to goal by about a week. :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Christmas ? dieting? should NEVER go in the same sentence. How about just trying to make some 50-50 healthy choices during the holiday. Don't beat yourself up, it's just not worth it. B)
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    I'm going to visit my parents for Christmas for a week. I have decided that I'm going to take the week off of logging (I have been doing so daily since early August), and see how things go. I'm hoping to maintain for the week, and I really want to see if I am able to do this "naturally," or if I'm going to need to continue logging once I hit maintenance some day. I realize that Christmas may not be the best time to try this, but I'll give it a go. Worst case, I gain a pound or two and just get back to tracking come Jan. 1st.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    I can't be sure how I will handle it all. I'm hoping for each "event" my partner and I have, that I can keep the rest of the day low cal and not have to stress during parties. I'm also trying out a much higher Deficit this week, so lower calories, in hopes that any overages won't impact me too much. I'm trying not to stress out about it but I have food issues so it's tough. But if I tighten up now maybe I will have built some more will power by then.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    I'm going to eat as much as I feel like eating and then move on to the next day.

This may be considered an advanced technique.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I am going to track what I eat (just because I like to have the data), but eat what I feel like having on Christmas Day.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Probably not at all. I'll be on vacation so going to lose my streak again. Not worth tracking as my estimates will be way off since not familiar with these places.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I'm curios to know what everyone plans on doing next week with their diets on Christmas day. Are you tracking the food you ate? Are you having the day off?

Well, I'd *planned* on eating normally for the week, maybe taking an extra 100 calories deficit a day to make up for our office Christmas dinner on Friday when I won't be able to get in the exercise after work I normally would but.....the cinnamon streusel cake happened. And the cashews happened. And the armenian cookies happened. And the donuts happened. And the taste of a truffle happened.

I'm going to still log but....it's only Tuesday for god's sakes! :)

I can out exercise most of my diet but that second old fashioned donut is calling my name. Loudly.

(I know this was for Christmas week but I don't do anything special on Christmas day so....)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I'm going to eat as much as I feel like eating and then move on to the next day.

This may be considered an advanced technique.

Yes, since you put away more than 8,000 calories on Thanksgiving and didn't gain weight, you are definitely in the advanced class ;)