Some infographics on our favorite treats...

scolaris
scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
Working off most of these puppies will take a chunk of time...
https://www.buddyloans.com/blog/how-much-energy-you-need-to-burn-off-8-junk-foods/

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited December 2015
    But you don't have to work them off. Just eat less the rest of the day. That's what bothers me with those articles... it's like just because it's junk food your metabolism stops or something...

I admit I'm confused because the article gives mixed messages.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    These "infographs" scream eating disorder. It's not impossible to fit foods/treats into a calorie allowance. If you really want a burger and fries you don't have to pick the highest calories ones at McDonalds, but if you want McDonalds you can make it work. If I want chocolate I'll make it fit without having to freak out about doing an extra hour of exercise.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    These "infographs" scream eating disorder. It's not impossible to fit foods/treats into a calorie allowance. If you really want a burger and fries you don't have to pick the highest calories ones at McDonalds, but if you want McDonalds you can make it work. If I want chocolate I'll make it fit without having to freak out about doing an extra hour of exercise.

seriously, I saw the first one about Mcdonalds and thought the same thing. You can also get the big mac without the sauce and that cuts the calories down, or you can just pre-log your day and see how it fits and then make adjustments from there.

You don't have to add in hours of exercise to enjoy the foods you like.

and can we please stop with the labeling of foods as "junk" just beucase they are calorie dense? All of the foods on that list can be part of an overall healthy diet, assuming one hits micros, macros, and reaches calorie targets.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited December 2015
    I think my favorite (read: most laughable) part is:

"Of course, you'll need to refuel afterwards..."

Or, you know, you could just eat the foods (blah blah blah assuming they fit your calorie goal and macros), thus eliminating both the need to do some sort of freak out workout to burn the calories and then 'refuel' afterwards (creating a vicious cycle).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Or, you know, you could just eat the foods (blah blah blah assuming they fit your calorie goal and macros), thus eliminating both the need to do some sort of freak out workout to burn the calories and then 'refuel' afterwards (creating a vicious cycle).

even more disturbing the infographic reinforces the idea that dieting has to be torture...so if you want to keep eating the foods you like be prepared torture yourself with additional exercise....
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Now I want a cheeseburger, fries, and chocolate cake....MMmmmmm!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Dislike. Planning is everything. Should never use working out as punishment for indulging.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Rather than "working off" those things, why not fit them into your regular calorie allotment (that you burn throughout the day without any extra work)?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    meh, I don't see it as that big of deal. The point of these things is not to educate. People who really want to learn and change, will... but they won't do it through infographics. People who want a short term "answer", this is probably helpful.
  • juggernaut1974
    Now I want a cheeseburger, fries, and chocolate cake....MMmmmmm!

Yes...this was my biggest take-away as well.

Though I'll skip the fries (I'm actually not a huge fan) and take a double piece of cake.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited December 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »

even more disturbing the infographic reinforces the idea that dieting has to be torture...so if you want to keep eating the foods you like be prepared torture yourself with additional exercise....

Wait...exercise is supposed to be torture?

I must be doing it wrong.

Good thing I have this handy infographic to help!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited December 2015
    The amount of exercise that is needed to burn off anywhere from 140-1700 calories.

There really was no need to point fingers at any particular foods that fall within that calorie range. Lots of foods have 500 calories, not just Big Macs. A salad can easily be 500 calories, or even 1700 calories.

• scolaris
    Good responses! I never 'work off' anything other than doing my normal workouts!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited December 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Since when is exercise torture?? Exercise is one of the best parts of my day. I really enjoy being active! :)

And if it means I can eat more ... great! :grin:

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    How did "favorite treats" and McDonald's food even get into the same post? It's pure junk. Just bleh....
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    So.... Why are they eating half of a cake? 450g ~= 1lb of cake. That is a LOT of cake.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »
    How did "favorite treats" and McDonald's food even get into the same post? It's pure junk. Just bleh....
    It's almost like not everyone has the same likes and dislikes you do. Nah, that couldn't be it.

• scolaris
    Well my faith in this group of healthy sceptics is reinforced! Great responses everyone!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I find these kinds of infographics laughable. Why doesn't anyone make infographics about wanting to work off an 800 calories steak meal or any non fast food regular meal which can range anywhere between 300 and 1500 calories?