Can't seem to get enough calories in my diet

Hello all. I'm trying to gain a few pounds back. I'm not a huge eater and I mainly eat vegetarian. My calorie counter on here says to eat 2310 calories a day. It seems impossible for me to achieve this. Any suggestions on what to eat to up my calorie in take??? Thank you!!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Nuts/Nut butters
    avocados
    add oils when cooking

Assuming vegetarian and not vegan
    Whole fat dairy
    Butter
    eggs
    cheese

Don't be afraid to drink some calories too if you're having trouble eating enough.

Essentially you'll want to look for foods that pack a lot of calories into a relatively small serving.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I suggest a modest goal of adding 10% to what you are managing to achieve now. Once this feels normal, add another 10%. In a month or two you should be eating at target. You got a great list of calorie-dense foods up-thread there. They add calories without volume.
  • lisamarie337
    lisamarie337 Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2015
    Thank you. I mainly just drink black coffee and water only. I should try drinking more calories, maybe whole milk instead of my coconut milk. Didnt thibk about the calorie dense foods, i had this idea that i was going to have to add fatty gross foods and more meat in my diet.I like the idea of starting slowly with. Thank you
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Granola has plenty of calories and IMO it's not very filling
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    more peanut butter my friend.
    and beer.
    and ice cream.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    more peanut butter my friend.
    and beer.
    and ice cream.

cosign
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited December 2015
    I ate a giant bagel with nutella on it yesterday. It was delicious, high calorie, and ridiculously not filling.
  • monkiepants
    monkiepants Posts: 1 Member
    Aldi has a gourmet ice cream the chocolate is 260 cal for 1/2cup. Mix this w a nutrition shake like boost compact at 240 cal.
    Really good and a small portion. Just started adding this in my routine. Yummy milkshake
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Do not touch the peanut butter that has hydrogenated fats in the ingredients. Smuckers is good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Do not touch the peanut butter that has hydrogenated fats in the ingredients. Smuckers is good.
    why?
  • Exerorg
    Exerorg Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why?

Hydrogenated fats are trans fats, which should be avoided whenever possible as they tend to stay in blood circulation.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    edited December 2015
    Thank you. I mainly just drink black coffee and water only. I should try drinking more calories, maybe whole milk instead of my coconut milk. Didnt thibk about the calorie dense foods, i had this idea that i was going to have to add fatty gross foods and more meat in my diet.I like the idea of starting slowly with. Thank you

Smoothies. Seriously. Back when I was in recovery from OSFED and had to gain, smoothies were the easiest way for me to get the extra calories into my diet. The best part about them is you can get a pretty good variety if you find recipes.

Of course, shakes and the like will do the trick, too.

Also, if you don't mind the taste, try adding creamer and/or milk to your coffee.

On top of all that, once I got past the initial beginning stage and could stomach most foods again... nut butters, nuts, oil or butter (when cooking), and ice cream worked wonders.

Also, you could always just add dessert. Some desserts can tack on 300-500 extra calories easily. Especially the good ones (like cheesecake).
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    This was my first meal today. Hope it helps. Please keep in mind I had a good 2 weeks of food training/ eating to be able to get all that in my belly. Took me about 30 minutes to eat it all ;-)

Screen_Shot_2015_12_20_at_8_49_55_AM.png
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Agreed.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Drink juice which is very calorie dense for volume. I'm not a juice drinker, but had a bad cold this week so had juice every day and was unfortunately, over my limit every day I had it, but I craved it and had a bad sore throat that made it hard to eat as much fruit as I needed for Vitamin C.
  • yayasdoughnut
    yayasdoughnut Posts: 1 Member
    Just be patient and age will take care of your "problem"
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Potatoes and bananas
  • juanitawise1
    juanitawise1 Posts: 2 Member
    ISO like minded friends trying to gainweight on this site. Feel free to add me if this is you
  • stretch1217
    stretch1217 Posts: 2 Member
    Is there anything else to watch for. Or at least main things
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Is there anything else to watch for. Or at least main things

Daily sodium?