Am I making a mistake eating baked potato for dinner?

Plain potato or sweet potato. Low in calories. Only 137 cals for 5 ounces. Affordable. Should I avoid this food since some say it turns right into sugar? Do you avoid plain baked potatoes?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Those who say it's turning right in to sugar are mistaken.

You can eat whatever you choose, as long as it's in your calories!

Medical issues are the only exception - those with diabetes, insulin resistance, allergies, etc, have to make sure they avoid certain things. If that's not you, have that potato! And nothing wrong with adding a little butter or seasoning to it if you don't want it plain.

~Lyssa
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Plain potato or sweet potato. Low in calories. Only 137 cals for 5 ounces. Affordable. Should I avoid this food since some say it turns right into sugar? Do you avoid plain baked potatoes?

I like the kinds of potatoes you roast whole or chopped vs. the traditional baked potato, so I rarely eat a baked potato. But I certainly don't avoid potatoes or sweet potatoes! Lost lots of weight (and am now maintaining that loss) while doing so, too.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I enjoy both, just depends what else I'm having. Ignore the sugar-phobes.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Sweet potatoes are awesome because you can just throw them in the microwave, perfect quick snack!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2015

Is that ALL you're eating? A plain baked potato?
    For ME that wouldn't work.

I'd want to add protein and fat to that starchy carb. Only because I know that a plain baked potato would leave me HANGRY in an hour.
    So yes, I NEVER eat JUST a plain baked potato for dinner.
    I'd eat one with sour cream, or cheese, and with some protein.
    Better yet, I'd eat a Yam with some butter, and a protein, and a green veg.
    And I'd eat the peel.
    But no, I wouldn't eat just a plain baked potato for dinner, or any other meal.
  • mashelle
    mashelle Posts: 1 Member
    I love to add avocado and black beans and salsa.
  • lemurcat12
    I didn't read her to say that's all she's eating for dinner.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2015
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I didn't read her to say that's all she's eating for dinner.

Nor did she say she wasn't, which was why I asked. :)

Her subject said FOR, not WITH. I parsed it thusly, and asked my question.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    The only way eating a baked potato for dinner would be a mistake is if you eat it just plain.

One of my favourite meals is: 2 baked potatoes, topped with tuna, cheese, and salad
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    My diary is open. I had chicken and a bread roll also.
  • lemurcat12
    137 calories would be pretty low for dinner.

Anyway, I like my potatoes and sweet potatoes plain, but for a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper, but I eat them with meat and vegetables, normally.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    137 calories would be pretty low for dinner.

And we've seen dinners like that before.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    My diary is open. I had chicken and a bread roll also.

Yay for chicken with the potato.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

I do eat baked potatoes but I usually allow for some butter.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    White potatoes rank at the top of the list in a study done on satiety and for what it's worth, my observations with others point to this being pretty accurate as well.

There's probably some individual variability but overall, potatoes are a damn good choice while dieting for many people.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7498104
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/15701207_A_Satiety_Index_of_common_foods

(Note, these were boiled potatoes. More aggressive cooking methods may reduce satiety slightly)
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    I love baked potatoes! Mm.
  • VinnyI82
    VinnyI82 Posts: 19 Member
    edited December 2015
    Potatoes are probably one of the best calorie > carb ratio you can get right next to rice and is one of my staples for my daily meals. I'd just ditch the bread in favor of a healthy fatty food. My preference is avocado.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member

White potatoes are not on my food plan right now. But they are awesome!
    I would choose the sweet potato and have a small serving a couple times a week.
    I'm low carb ATM!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited December 2015

http://www.livestrong.com/article/430301-can-baked-potatoes-spike-my-blood-sugar/

"Russet potatoes are some of the worst offenders when it comes to upping your blood sugar. A baked russet has an average GI rank of 85. If you eat the skin, it falls a bit lower, whereas peeling the skin away makes it as high as 111. Baked white potatoes tend to fall at around 50 on the glycemic scale, although you have to leave the skin on when you eat them. Otherwise your low-glycemic baked tater can be closer to 100, making it highly likely to make your blood sugar surge."
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

http://www.livestrong.com/article/430301-can-baked-potatoes-spike-my-blood-sugar/

"Russet potatoes are some of the worst offenders when it comes to upping your blood sugar. A baked russet has an average GI rank of 85. If you eat the skin, it falls a bit lower, whereas peeling the skin away makes it as high as 111. Baked white potatoes tend to fall at around 50 on the glycemic scale, although you have to leave the skin on when you eat them. Otherwise your low-glycemic baked tater can be closer to 100, making it highly likely to make your blood sugar surge."

A bigger question would be whether or not the glycemic index is something an individual needs to pay attention to.

I'd say no for the majority.