Hello - 39 year old male - 275 to 192 between July and Present Day - Gunning for 175.

Hello myfitnesspal! I've lurked on this forum for the past few months but didn't post because.. I dunno, I just didn't. Anyway, I want to say that all the positive stories I've read here have been super motivating. Thank you to all you folks that work so hard day in and day out and take time to share your progress. I know it's not easy to take the time and help motivate others. I couldn't do it. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

While I was lurking I was making some changes of my own. In July I was 275, the heaviest I'd ever been, and unhappy with my body and my relationship. I decided to make some big changes by dumping the woman (what a great decision, she was negative influence) and taking my body back.

My basic fitness structure over the past 5 months was commuting to work by bike, taking long bike rides a couple times a week, walking and biking more places in the city (Chicago) to run errands, cutting out bread, beer, sugar, chips, soda, etc. The basics to losing weight. In addition to that I started doing p90x3 about 6 weeks ago to help with the final push.

Here is a before and present face shot, as well as my current upper body. I didn't take a before body shot because I didn't think about it. Kicking myself now.

hp6jzixm08rp.jpgx96iglsasai6.jpg

Current upper body.

vrzpm39o047l.jpg

Why did I sign up now? Well, as I near my goal of 175 I find I'm really struggling to gather the motivation to work out 5-6 days a week. I feel like I've accomplished so much, which I have, and it's become easy for me to say "F it" and take the day off. Not only that, I'm not sure I need to get to 175. I'd be perfectly happy maintaining my current weight but filling out with more muscle while shedding some fat.

So I'm at a point where I'm really lacking focus on what to do and what not to do. I'm hoping if I can actively participate in some community discussions it will help push me to reach the next level (whatever that is).

Thanks again to all the the folks around here that continually motivate people towards a better life. *big hug*

Replies

• Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    You look great!
  • pgarcia1964
    pgarcia1964 Posts: 27 Member
    Congratulations on your success!
  • huffdaddy3
    huffdaddy3 Posts: 13 Member
    wow.. great job bro!
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Great job! It doesn't look like you need to lose more weight, gaining muscle is always good! I am trying to motivate myself to do 2 work outs a day! I am doing 21 day fix! Good luck!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
    I think it's time for Stronglifts 5x5. I love it and the positive changes it's made to my body. You would have great success in a very short time!! Great job!
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Great job!!
  • Awesome job!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Congrats!

How tall are you by the way?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Very nice partner!
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Thanks for the positive messages and tips.

@FrenchMob I'm 6'0".
  • KWKirkbride
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I think it's time for Stronglifts 5x5. I love it and the positive changes it's made to my body. You would have great success in a very short time!! Great job!

Thanks for the tip. One of my issues is that I live in a small apartment in the city. I've been looking into getting a weight bench and some weights but I simply don't have space for it without getting rid of something else. Don't really want to go to the gym either. Maybe the couch will have to go...
  • ikeATtheGYM
    ikeATtheGYM Posts: 17 Member
    At a certain point you must join a gym to have access to squat rack and the various types of benches and large plates that you will need to do many of the heavy compound lifts. Also at the gym you can grunt and drop weights more comfortably and just like these forums, it's hella motivating to work out with other focused, fit, and motivated individuals.
  • TalhaKhan05
    TalhaKhan05 Posts: 18 Member
    Didn't you had any loose skin?
  • KWKirkbride
    At a certain point you must join a gym to have access to squat rack and the various types of benches and large plates that you will need to do many of the heavy compound lifts. Also at the gym you can grunt and drop weights more comfortably and just like these forums, it's hella motivating to work out with other focused, fit, and motivated individuals.
    You're right. Just trying to stick to what has worked for me until now. I know I'll need to leave my comfort zone if I want to achieve max results.
  • KWKirkbride
    edited December 2015
    Didn't you had any loose skin?

I'm sure there is some there but it's hard to tell how much. I definitely still have some midsection fat to zap. Until that's gone I really don't know. I thought the extra skin look would be worse for me so I'm actually really stoked with the current results.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Sooooo.... I read that you're single.....

How you doin..
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hello myfitnesspal! I've lurked on this forum for the past few months but didn't post because.. I dunno, I just didn't. Anyway, I want to say that all the positive stories I've read here have been super motivating. Thank you to all you folks that work so hard day in and day out and take time to share your progress. I know it's not easy to take the time and help motivate others. I couldn't do it. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

While I was lurking I was making some changes of my own. In July I was 275, the heaviest I'd ever been, and unhappy with my body and my relationship. I decided to make some big changes by dumping the woman (what a great decision, she was negative influence) and taking my body back.

My basic fitness structure over the past 5 months was commuting to work by bike, taking long bike rides a couple times a week, walking and biking more places in the city (Chicago) to run errands, cutting out bread, beer, sugar, chips, soda, etc. The basics to losing weight. In addition to that I started doing p90x3 about 6 weeks ago to help with the final push.

Here is a before and present face shot, as well as my current upper body. I didn't take a before body shot because I didn't think about it. Kicking myself now.

Why did I sign up now? Well, as I near my goal of 175 I find I'm really struggling to gather the motivation to work out 5-6 days a week. I feel like I've accomplished so much, which I have, and it's become easy for me to say "F it" and take the day off. Not only that, I'm not sure I need to get to 175. I'd be perfectly happy maintaining my current weight but filling out with more muscle while shedding some fat.

So I'm at a point where I'm really lacking focus on what to do and what not to do. I'm hoping if I can actively participate in some community discussions it will help push me to reach the next level (whatever that is).

Thanks again to all the the folks around here that continually motivate people towards a better life. *big hug*

Sounds to me like it's time to maintain while beginning a good resistance training program. Forget the scale weight. Focus on intake to match a reduced workout schedule.
  • KWKirkbride
    Sooooo.... I read that you're single.....

How you doin..

Haha. In Chicago?
  • KWKirkbride
    edited January 2016
    I tried to edit this into the opening post but it's too late. Here is a breakdown of how my weight loss progression over the 5-6 months.

GQw9m6S.png

A little update since I first posted two weeks ago. I'm down another 5 pounds to 187. I've started consistently logging my calories with the MFP diary. I've started running (my poor legs)!

The logging is going well. I really love seeing the nutritional breakdown at the end of the day. I found out that a Dunkin Large Coffee w. Cream and Sugar has nearly 300 calories. Holy ####. I'm switching to black coffee and/or tea. I'm going to miss seeing my pals at the local DD, though. Doing the logging throughout the day seems to be keeping me ultra focused. I'm thinking about working out when I'm at work. I'm thinking about what to eat for dinner. I like it.

The running is... hard. It's really f'n hard. I bought some decent running shoes a couple months back and had yet to use them. After a bummer of a day just before Christmas I decided it was time to stop coming up with excuses and strapped them on for a quick jog. Just under 3 miles later (running with some walking) I was a mixture of dead/phenomenal. It felt so good to do something I had never enjoyed and know this can be something that helps sustain my fitness well into the future. I'm hooked! I've had two runs since. The weather is kind of crappy (and taking it slow for fear of injury) and I don't have access to a treadmill. That said, I did head out yesterday when it was 20 degress with 20 MPH winds.

Link to my Strava if interested - https://www.strava.com/athletes/471266

*Not So Pro Tip - Stretch well after you run. Stretch multiples times if need be. I didn't and my legs were worthless for 4 days*

No bare chested picture updates for a while but here is a sad pic with my dog when I was 275 and another recent one where we're both super happy! She loves it. I walk her more often. The walks are longer. Sometimes we sprint for a bit. It's been good for her too.

XtnIyDG.jpg

After reading the tips here and browsing the rest of the forum I've decided to go with Body Beast to help gain some muscle. I have room for a weight bench and a friend is going to lend me his unused dumbbells until I can find a decent deal on one of the all in one sets (Selecttech, etc). I'm not looking to be jacked. I prefer a lean physique. I'll likely incorporate the BB 3 days out of the week with some p90x3 and my other cardio (biking/running). The DVD's are on the way!

Can't wait to update in a few weeks and see what sort of progress I've made. Happy new year to everyone!

• G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    You rocked you transformation bro, Keep after it and you will make your goals!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!