1,000 Calories in One Workout?

Hey guys,

So I've been lifting heavy with a trainer for the past week (I've been lifting for longer but I wanted to buckle down and really get some direction) and we've been doing some pretty intense workouts.

I asked today how many calories he thinks we burn in one 30 minute session and his answer seriously floored me. He told me we burned about 1,000 calories a workout. I had been expecting something like 400-500.

We do weights that are incredibly high for me, as in, my muscles usually end up failing before the end of at least the second set but for sure by the third, and we take little to no break in between the exercises. The exercises are all superset with others or dropsets. I'm dripping with sweat and sore for days. But 1,000 calories, is this possible? If so.... I need to eat more.

Please let me know!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I would have fired him there and then as he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Highly doubtful. Burns for lifting are not very big in general.. but the end results are still pretty darn good.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    No. I lift heavy as well, power twice per week and hypertrophy twice per week. I assume 100 or so calories burned. I've always been spot on when it comes to losing/maintaining.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Hey guys,

So I've been lifting heavy with a trainer for the past week (I've been lifting for longer but I wanted to buckle down and really get some direction) and we've been doing some pretty intense workouts.

I asked today how many calories he thinks we burn in one 30 minute session and his answer seriously floored me. He told me we burned about 1,000 calories a workout. I had been expecting something like 400-500.

We do weights that are incredibly high for me, as in, my muscles usually end up failing before the end of at least the second set but for sure by the third, and we take little to no break in between the exercises. The exercises are all superset with others or dropsets. I'm dripping with sweat and sore for days. But 1,000 calories, is this possible? If so.... I need to eat more.

Please let me know!

No, I am sure he is wrong. Sorry! I don't know what kind of lifting you're doing but I would say the figure it somewhere between 100 and 200 calories.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    More like 150 if your lucky...fire that trainer.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    1,000 calories in half an hour? No way. Probably closer to 100-200.
  • kyley_ann
    kyley_ann Posts: 25 Member
    I burn about 1,000 calories in one workout--when I run 7 miles!! I can't imagine lifting for an hour is burning those kind of calories.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    By the way, trainers can be super helpful but it is really good that you question and read about some of the information they give you because well...some obviously don't know their stuff, especially when it comes to nutrition. I do hope he is teaching you proper form though.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    More like 150 if your lucky...fire that trainer.

this

get a new trainer...asap
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Those are crazy numbers...he's inflating the burn to get you excited, don't believe him...as people said above, get someone else.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Roger that. He's good with the workout and the form, he definitely pushes me, but when he answered that I was so skeptical... I'll see if there is a better one around.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    nobody is burning 1,000 calories in 30 minutes....not even 60 minutes.

i have to cycle in the neighborhood of 30 miles to get there.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Lol I texted the manager of the company (who wrote the plan himself and my nutrition stuff and everything) and his guess was 200-300. That's... probably still inflated a little, but much more reasonable.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    nobody is burning 1,000 calories in 30 minutes....not even 60 minutes.

i have to cycle in the neighborhood of 30 miles to get there.

Ha yeah, it takes me 3 hours of low grade hiking to get anywhere close to 1,000 calories.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Thanks for all the input, everyone!

I'm SUPER new to counting anything close to calories from workouts or from food (in the past I've just done what made me feel the best, and I'm not big, but getting super fit takes a lot of dedication as I'm learning!) so I'm definitely still learning!

Good to know my gut was right, bad to know that my trainer is full of it. *sigh*
  • Hey guys,

Please let me know!

Maybe....If you do a marathon....
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I burn around 1,000 cals a day on average. But it requires close 2-3 hours of training. I log around 350 calories for my 2 hour weight sessions.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    I'm really grateful for you guys! This is such a great and helpful community!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    MyFitnessPal has an entry under 'cardiovascular' called 'strength training' that will give you some calories for lifting weight. I usually underestimate the time a little. Like if it took me 40 minutes total, I usually put down 20 minutes since a lot of that time was recovering between lifts. I think mine thinks 20 minutes is 80 calories for me. I just log it to give myself credit for the lifting, not so much to use to eat back.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    My Crazy workout which I do once a week is non stop one to the other movement working entire body 20 reps per set for 75 min my HR is above 120 BPM the entire workout and I log it as 250 calories but its more than likely 500.