• bshave81
    bshave81 Posts: 107 Member
    5'10"
    32W Waist
    Medium Shirt size
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Around 5'5", 129lbs. 34" (at bra band), 28", 36". Can't give you a regular bust measurement (bilateral mastectomies).

U.S. size 6 petite jeans (teensy bit big for my taste), still mostly L or L petite tops (I have wide shoulders but otherwise kind of straight waist/flat rear). Some loose abdominal skin, thinner upper body (can see ribs), probably more muscular than average for my age (60) but not super muscle-y, hate clothes tight.

At SW of 183, around 40" (bra band), 36.5", 45.5". Size 16 women's petite/short jeans, 1X or XL tops. This was in April 2015; I'd been very active for 12+ years. Before that, at a similar weight (maybe 190?), I was up closer to 20 in jeans - but who knows how much the sizing changed that many years. I don't have measurements for 12 years back. For sure, becoming more active (I'm a rower) reduced my body size even though I didn't lose weight and was still very definitely fat.

This is where I want to be but I am hitting a major plateau. 5.5 1/2. 138 pounds and trying but failing to get closer to 130. My body is very comfy at 140. I workout 5-6 times a week so I know it lies in my diet. My brain is just not letting me cut further....my brain and my hands...my brain, my hands and my mouth!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited December 2015
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    What is the deal with Old Navy? I'm 5'3" and 115, usually wear 0-2 or XS. Yes, I shop at Old Navy and Gap, but need the same sizes if I go to Walmart or Target. Sometimes, I go for junior's (maybe JC Penney or similar) and need 3-5. Target stuff usually doesn't fit, though. Their XS tops are too big, and the pants are made too skinny in the lower leg (I have muscles). I do have a cute dress from Target, size XS. It might be junior's, not sure.

In to hear what the deal is with Old Navy, and also to say that I find Target clothes kinda strange. They don't fit me. What is up with that?

I like reading all the stats, but it can set up some negative comparisons (personally)... I really hate my gut area. I almost wonder if it's genetic - my aunts all had thick middles. I work out with resistance bands & light weights, starting to add very light running... need to get a barbell to lift or something. Deathly afraid of injury (history of back injuries) and way too timid for a gym.

I'd also like to know about Old Navy. I wear the same sizes there that I do everywhere else, but I ALWAYS hear about ON "vanity sizing" like crazy. I've also heard someone say one time that Old Navy was "the fat ladies version of Gap" and I wanted to slap them!!!

I can't talk for everyone, but the time I bought pants at ON I was fitting in a 2, and I was wearing a 8 of my favorite jeans brand (Lee) at the time. And I have a medium/large frame, I'm 34 D so not exactly flat, and I fit in some of their XS tops just fine (but for their tanks I feel more comfortable in S or M). And their S dresses fit perfectly.

I honestly wonder what thin women can actually wear there (I'm 34/30/36 so not quite thin). Quite sure I'd be a L or something in Europe.

Someone commented about muffin tops - with my build (hear - wide waist and most of the leftover fat in the midsection) I pretty much always end up with one. I can't wear low rise jeans because they look ridiculous, but my high rise 6s are a bit loose (I can take them off without unbuttoning them) and STILL give me a bit of a muffin top, while too loose on the butt and legs. I think it's a losing battle, I can't imagine losing more body fat because the rest of my body is seriously getting skinny, so I just blame genetics (my mom is the same shape, but she's always been overweight, so I don't have much to compare to, and my twin sister is bigger than me).
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Lol, finally a male posted in this thread.
    Small pant size (jeans are tricky since I have an exceptionally small waist, and while my legs are certainly not that big, most jeans that fit in the waist are either too tight or too short). I'm closest to a 28X30 or 28X32 jean size.)
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Always so interesting to me to see the difference in sizing. Weightlifting definitely impacted my body composition. I'm 5'6 138lbs and generally an American size 2/4 and s/xs. I've been this weight before years ago and generally wore a 6/8.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    5'8"
    Size 6, small, 28 jeans
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    5'8
    157'ish
    Averaging size 6...size 8 in jeans, size 6 in all other pants/slacks and a size 4-6 in tops...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Lol, finally a male posted in this thread.
    Small pant size (jeans are tricky since I have an exceptionally small waist, and while my legs are certainly not that big, most jeans that fit in the waist are either too tight or too short). I'm closest to a 28X30 or 28X32 jean size.)

You didn't want to be the first? :D
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    5ft, 124lbs 38/25/37

I can usually fit a 2 for dress pants, but jeans I tend to be a 2 or 4. Dresses in S or XS sometimes. I'm small, but chubs :smile:
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    edited December 2015
    For me, it's not a higher body fat % putting me at a higher size, it's my hip bones. You can't lose bone LOL

Edit: My measurements are 33 x 28 x 38
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    5' 3.5"
    171-ish
    US size 10 pants lately, Medium-Large tops.

But then I shop in old lady stores like Talbot's and such. I think they are cut way generously, but I'm not complaining! My main goal for losing weight was to fit into a size 8 there.
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    5'8"
    130 lbs
    35-29-36
    I'm weirdly proportioned so 6-8 in pants (but have to find longs). I have freakishly long arms, am high waisted, and have no boobs to speak of so that darling combination means that while I can wear a small top, I loathe things binding under my arms so end up in a baggy medium.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I think I have definitely decided from reading this that clothing size tells you nothing about how thin someone is, because height and where you put that weight - plus how tight you like to wear your clothes and how stretchy they are - seems to make a huge difference.

One of my sisters is much taller than me (and I'm 5'10") and outweighs me by 100 pounds. But she wears clothes the same size - they just fit like they're sprayed on. Another sister her size wears clothes much much larger.

Pretty much, yes.

5' 3" (OK, slightly below). 120 lbs. Measurements, I can guess. Chest is 33 and change for sure. Waist I think ~25, hips are probably between 33 and 34.

Size 4 in designer clothes (or 34 in UK sizes). Size 2 just about everywhere else or the cut is just wrong. I wear the same clothes that I did at 116 lbs before I did a couple of short bulk/cut cycles. I think my hips may actually be smaller than they were then.

Sometimes I end up in a baggy S rather than a normal fitting XS top because I have relatively broad shoulders and the shoulder seams are cut in too far. I also occasionally have a problem with sleeves being too tight around my bicep (thanks Stronglifts).
  • Francl27
    stealthq wrote: »
    I think I have definitely decided from reading this that clothing size tells you nothing about how thin someone is, because height and where you put that weight - plus how tight you like to wear your clothes and how stretchy they are - seems to make a huge difference.

One of my sisters is much taller than me (and I'm 5'10") and outweighs me by 100 pounds. But she wears clothes the same size - they just fit like they're sprayed on. Another sister her size wears clothes much much larger.

I also occasionally have a problem with sleeves being too tight around my bicep (thanks Stronglifts).

But women don't bulk, you didn't know??
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »

I also occasionally have a problem with sleeves being too tight around my bicep (thanks Stronglifts).

But women don't bulk, you didn't know??

Bigger biceps isn't the same as when women say they don't lift because they are afraid of getting bulky. I am quite lean, with very visible muscles, but no one would call me bulky. And yes, some shirts are tighter as a result.
  • Francl27 wrote: »
    What is the deal with Old Navy? I'm 5'3" and 115, usually wear 0-2 or XS. Yes, I shop at Old Navy and Gap, but need the same sizes if I go to Walmart or Target. Sometimes, I go for junior's (maybe JC Penney or similar) and need 3-5. Target stuff usually doesn't fit, though. Their XS tops are too big, and the pants are made too skinny in the lower leg (I have muscles). I do have a cute dress from Target, size XS. It might be junior's, not sure.

In to hear what the deal is with Old Navy, and also to say that I find Target clothes kinda strange. They don't fit me. What is up with that?

I like reading all the stats, but it can set up some negative comparisons (personally)... I really hate my gut area. I almost wonder if it's genetic - my aunts all had thick middles. I work out with resistance bands & light weights, starting to add very light running... need to get a barbell to lift or something. Deathly afraid of injury (history of back injuries) and way too timid for a gym.

I'd also like to know about Old Navy. I wear the same sizes there that I do everywhere else, but I ALWAYS hear about ON "vanity sizing" like crazy. I've also heard someone say one time that Old Navy was "the fat ladies version of Gap" and I wanted to slap them!!!

I can't talk for everyone, but the time I bought pants at ON I was fitting in a 2, and I was wearing a 8 of my favorite jeans brand (Lee) at the time. And I have a medium/large frame, I'm 34 D so not exactly flat, and I fit in some of their XS tops just fine (but for their tanks I feel more comfortable in S or M). And their S dresses fit perfectly.

I honestly wonder what thin women can actually wear there (I'm 34/30/36 so not quite thin). Quite sure I'd be a L or something in Europe.

Someone commented about muffin tops - with my build (hear - wide waist and most of the leftover fat in the midsection) I pretty much always end up with one. I can't wear low rise jeans because they look ridiculous, but my high rise 6s are a bit loose (I can take them off without unbuttoning them) and STILL give me a bit of a muffin top, while too loose on the butt and legs. I think it's a losing battle, I can't imagine losing more body fat because the rest of my body is seriously getting skinny, so I just blame genetics (my mom is the same shape, but she's always been overweight, so I don't have much to compare to, and my twin sister is bigger than me).

Just a question, if you measure 34 across the bust how can you be a 34d bra size? You would have to measure 38 inches to be that (and 34 inches below the bust)?
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    When I started...178 size 16 or large. Now 139 5'6" size 12 is big but not sure 10 wouldn't be too tight. Shirts medium. Solid and muscular.
  • Francl27

Just a question, if you measure 34 across the bust how can you be a 34d bra size? You would have to measure 38 inches to be that (and 34 inches below the bust)?

You're probably right. I honestly don't know how to measure my bust, so it's probably 38? I always assumed that the number was your bust measurement, I guess I was wrong. I know it depends a lot on the bra brand though...
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member

You're probably right. I honestly don't know how to measure my bust, so it's probably 38? I always assumed that the number was your bust measurement, I guess I was wrong. I know it depends a lot on the bra brand though...

Girl, you must be wearing the wrong size bra: https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/beginners_guide
    A bra that fits correctly is so much more comfortable.