Why You Run But Can't Lose Weight

Replies

• Anyone running to lose weight will fail in the long term. You restrict calories to lose weight, you run/exercise to improve your fitness/health.

But loosing weight helps you be faster
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member

1) Don't eat 1 h after the run

Why?

• 1) Don't eat 1 h after the run

Why?
    I mean up to 1 h cuz at that period you are most hungry idk it works for me I usually eat lunch and dinner and I have lost some weight. I also try to cut salt,sugar,pasta and bread as much as I can.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member

1) Don't eat 1 h after the run

I disagree. Eating within 30 minutes of prolonged exercise is optimal for recovery, specifically carbohydrates for glycogen synthesis and protein for muscle repair.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Yet, often the added exercise is counteracted by a decrease in NEAT expenditure. At least that is the explanation for the general lack of success in simply adding exercise to achieve weight loss. Can it work, sure, but not regularly.

This has been my experience. And increase in appetite. And my body is hanging on to water in order to repair muscles. Anyone who thinks they are building muscle while running probably isn't (getting stronger not the same as adding muscle mass). I had a friend who had lost a bunch of weight through starvation and a medication that was causing appetite suppressant. She wanted to lose a little more and was talking about coming running with me. I told her it would probably derail her as it would increase her appetite when she was doing a pretty effective job at starving herself to thin. Still, if you like running you should run. If you don't, find something else.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited December 2015
    I don't even know where to begin to criticize this article. So I will just say, yeah... what everyone else is saying. Losing weight is about managing your calories. If you eat (slightly) less calories than what your body needs for the day, then you will eventually lose weight. If running makes you require more calories for the day... well you factor that in to your daily equation.

All the EPOC, running too much, running to much the same way, blah blah blah....

Use this site the way it was intended. You will know what through careful examination of what you put into your body combined with tracking what you do in a day, combined with regular weekly weigh-ins, over time you know how to adjust your calories, your workouts, your intensities so that you can lose weight.

If you are not losing weight: you are either eating too much (underestimating what you are tracking in intake), over estimating what you burn in your exercises, or your calorie limit you set is too high. none of this EPOC afterburn stuff blah blah blah blah.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to begin to criticize this article. So I will just say, yeah... what everyone else is saying. Losing weight is about managing your calories. If you eat (slightly) less calories than what your body needs for the day, then you will eventually lose weight. If running makes you require more calories for the day... well you factor that in to your daily equation.

All the EPOC, running too much, running to much the same way, blah blah blah....

Use this site the way it was intended. You will know what through careful examination of what you put into your body combined with tracking what you do in a day, combined with regular weekly weigh-ins, over time you know how to adjust your calories, your workouts, your intensities so that you can lose weight.

If you are not losing weight: you are either eating too much (underestimating what you are tracking in intake), over estimating what you burn in your exercises, or your calorie limit you set is too high. none of this EPOC afterburn stuff blah blah blah blah.

^This! Running too much actually makes me lose too much weight.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Running to lose weight misses the whole point of running.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member
    There are many points to running.
  • MorningGhost14
    Running to lose weight misses one of a bajillion points to running.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Running to lose weight misses one of a bajillion points to running.

What if I run for a bajillion reasons including to lose weight?
  • MorningGhost14
    Then you run for all the points.... lol
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Why You Run and Can't Lose Weight by Peachy Carol

1. You're Eating Too Much

Naaaah. This is too simple, cannot possibly be correct ;)
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    I've managed to lose around 45lbs so far by running and eating at a deficit .........
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Then you run for all the points.... lol

bah, i started running to loose weight.
    now i have other reasons to keep running
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Great article on the topic of conditioning vs. cardio. Fits into the topic in a sideways kinda way. Also it's sure to ruffle the feathers of any cardio lovers out there :D

https://www.t-nation.com/training/predator-conditioning
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Great article on the topic of conditioning vs. cardio. Fits into the topic in a sideways kinda way. Also it's sure to ruffle the feathers of any cardio lovers out there :D

I can't understand why. :neutral:

Ignoring the misogyny, I still don't think it is a great article.
    First, it all comes down to what your goal is. "Conditioning" as he describes isn't going to get me over the finish line of a half Ironman.
    Yes, tons of cardio and eating very little will have negative effects but not everyone is doing that. There are tons of distance athletes who don't have "underfed seabird, manboobs, and an upper body made of twigs and Jell-O"
    The whole article assumes people who are doing "cardio" are doing only long, slow runs.

"Conditioning prepares you for battle. Cardio makes you really good at running slowly away." - No, not really. You want to run a faster 5k? Some longer slower runs will definitely help you.

"Conditioning fires up the metabolism. Cardio extinguishing it over time. "- nope.

"Conditioning relieves anxiety, boosts all-day energy and fires up brain function. Cardio increases anxiety and cortisol. (Runners are only happy when they run. The rest of the time they're *kitten*. True story.). " - nope (and not just because of the *kitten* part).

"The rule here is that if you can do it while checking your iPhone, watching TV, or carrying on a conversation then it isn't predator conditioning." That's great, most of my runs fall under this and I'm not even doing the exercises he suggests.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

I can't understand why. :neutral:

Ignoring the misogyny, I still don't think it is a great article.
    First, it all comes down to what your goal is. "Conditioning" as he describes isn't going to get me over the finish line of a half Ironman.
    Yes, tons of cardio and eating very little will have negative effects but not everyone is doing that. There are tons of distance athletes who don't have "underfed seabird, manboobs, and an upper body made of twigs and Jell-O"
    The whole article assumes people who are doing "cardio" are doing only long, slow runs.

"Conditioning prepares you for battle. Cardio makes you really good at running slowly away." - No, not really. You want to run a faster 5k? Some longer slower runs will definitely help you.

"Conditioning fires up the metabolism. Cardio extinguishing it over time. "- nope.

"Conditioning relieves anxiety, boosts all-day energy and fires up brain function. Cardio increases anxiety and cortisol. (Runners are only happy when they run. The rest of the time they're *kitten*. True story.). " - nope (and not just because of the *kitten* part).

"The rule here is that if you can do it while checking your iPhone, watching TV, or carrying on a conversation then it isn't predator conditioning." That's great, most of my runs fall under this and I'm not even doing the exercises he suggests.

what she said
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

I stopped reading at "t-nation".
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

"Conditioning makes a man look good naked. Cardio makes a man look good in lavender skinny jeans and not much else."
    I am a woman. I do not want to look like a naked man. And I love both lavender and skinny jeans :) Does this mean I should up my cardio?

As for the rest, I thought I have seen it all in gyms so far, but if I ever see someone following the instructions on this like "leave blood on the ropes", and "train almost ot the point of throwing up", with the goal of "becoming a predator", I would either laugh until I pee myself, or start walking slowly away while taking out the phone to call for an ambulance.