Ensure and mass gainer?

Hey everyone. I'm trying to gain weight. I just lost a lot of weight and it's been affecting my menstral cycle greatly.

I started taking ensure (the premade ones), but I also planned on taking optimum nutrition's mass gainer as well (half a serving size).

Is this safe? I don't want to screw with my body.

Thank you for any future responses!:)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Not sure what you mean by safe?

There's nothing wrong with taking either thing but you may want to work in eating more calorie dense actual food unless you plan on drinking them for ever?
  • adobrev
    adobrev Posts: 108 Member
    The ensure box says do not drink more than 2 a day. It stresses it, because it's too many I guess nutrients for your body(I'm still not completely sure why not, I'm doing more research now)

But since the box said don't drink more than two, I was worried that the mass gainer would multiply the same things ensure has, too.

Does that make sense, or am I working it weird? Haha

But I'm planning on a lot of lean meats, carbohydrates, and chicken too in my diet, I just wanted these as an extra push.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you're trying to gain, don't focus on lean meat. You'll get more calories from pork/beef/lamb/duck/salmon than chicken.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    adobrev wrote: »
    The ensure box says do not drink more than 2 a day. It stresses it, because it's too many I guess nutrients for your body(I'm still not completely sure why not, I'm doing more research now)

But since the box said don't drink more than two, I was worried that the mass gainer would multiply the same things ensure has, too.

Does that make sense, or am I working it weird? Haha

But I'm planning on a lot of lean meats, carbohydrates, and chicken too in my diet, I just wanted these as an extra push.

sorry, but this does not make sense.

I would say make sure that you get enough calories in, eat nutrient dense foods to get micronutrients, and make sure that you get macronutrients….

you don't need to drink ensure or a mass gainer but you can if you want to; just make sure that you get your calorie, micros, and macros in.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    If you want to gain weight, eat at a surplus. You could Google a list of calorie dense foods and plan them into your day instead of drinking the ensure drink.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Ensure isn't really necessary; the only people I have known that have been instructed by a doctor to drink it were the elderly or cancer patients. Often, these people have difficulty eating actual food.

Eating real food would be better than chugging Ensure. You don't have to eat the leanest meat, you can eat full-fat dairy, and cover everything in oil (olive, coconut, or butter)...that should help you gain weight.
  • adobrev
    adobrev Posts: 108 Member
    Thanks everyone for all of your responses :) they helped!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Therapists will tell you that this place is not good for anyone with eating disorders/anorexia. It makes the problem worse.... not better.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Therapists will tell you that this place is not good for anyone with eating disorders/anorexia. It makes the problem worse.... not better.

I didn't see where the OP stated she had an eating disorder or anorexia?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    That's a lot of sugar! I wouldn't go there! ;)