10 Day Detox by Dr. Hyman

I am going to try the 10 day detox diet by Dr Hyman, I have read many reviews and my goal is to start next month. Has anyone tried this yet?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    It's crap, seriously!! Only positive reviews?
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Lol. Dr hyman. Lol.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Water and a plant based diet is the best detox out there. My two cents.
    If you don't put toxins in your body, you have nothing to detox from.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    The human body is the best detox system out there. 10 day detox claims are just scams. No matter what a person eats (outside of the truly bizarre like snacking on blocks of poisons and heavy metals) the human body will take care of it. The human body is exposed to many things that could be considered toxins on a daily basis even without eating food. Save your money OP.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member

...But you don't need to detox if you have a functioning liver and kidney(s).

The ONLY detoxes I've heard of that work are ones physicians use in instances of patients severely overdosing on something (and involves lots and lots of charcoal and most likely a stay in intensive care). The detoxes advertised for the average Joe are a bunch of hooplah at best (they're glorified starvation diets) and dangerous at wort.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    No.............just no.
    Don't fall for gimmicks, there really are none.
    Consume less calories than you burn.
    Move more.
    It really works.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    This is a ridiculous fad. Don't even bother.

There is no quick fixes. There is no short cuts. There is no replacement for hard work.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited December 2015
    What are all these toxins people are putting in their bodies? Fair question.
    I saw charcoal... but how do you ingest charcoal? I know nothing.
  • ultrahoon
    abatonfan wrote: »

...But you don't need to detox if you have a functioning liver and kidney(s).

The ONLY detoxes I've heard of that work are ones physicians use in instances of patients severely overdosing on something (and involves lots and lots of charcoal and most likely a stay in intensive care). The detoxes advertised for the average Joe are a bunch of hooplah at best (they're glorified starvation diets) and dangerous at wort.

There's also chelation therapy for heavy metals, but as you point out, the detoxes for unspecified toxins are all woo.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member

A few posts above, you said eating outside of a plant and water based diet made one susceptible to ingesting toxins...I would ask you the same question .
  • ultrahoon
    edited December 2015

Walked past a smoker recently? Toxins. Live somewhere that automobiles are not banned? Toxins. Repainted a room or walked past something with paint still drying? Toxins. Been near anything that was damp and dark? Toxins. Heated the healthiest thing in the world a little too high? Toxins. Ever been to a bonfire? Toxins.

You get the idea. Toxins are basically everywhere, and not realistically possible to avoid as a human being. This is probably why our own detox system is so good, it's had a heck of a lot of practice.
  • MelaniaTrump
    Cilantro, spirullina, and dark greens were recommended on a site for detoxing from mercury. But do people get mercury in their diets? Or is this all work related?
  • ultrahoon
    edited December 2015
    Cilantro, spirullina, and dark greens were recommended on a site for detoxing from mercury. But do people get mercury in their diets? Or is this all work related?

From the air, from fish, from plants and livestock, from botched dental work, from breaking a fluorescent light etc etc.

Additionally the plants you listed are not treatments for mercury poisoning recognized by any responsible health professional.
  • MelaniaTrump
    So fumes, even from paint and carpeting can be toxins. Got it.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member

Don't trust everything on the internet. Something that is found within a peer reviewed article is often considered more trustworthy then something on "Diana's Detoxes". Mercury can be found in certain fish (I think this is why pregnant women are not advised to eat a ton of fish, because the fetus can "tolerate" much lower amounts of mercury than an adult before adverse effects occur), old thermometers, etc. If someone is experiencing the signs and symptoms of mercury poisoning, it is best for them to seek medical attention instead of trying to "cure" it at home. Mercury poisoning can be lethal.

Remember that we're exposed to "toxins" on a daily basis (some more than others). One of the purposes of a physical assessment with a doctor/nurse is to identify if someone is at higher risk of exposure for certain known terotagens (like someone who smoked two packs a day for 60 years being exposed to the terotagens found in cigarette smoke) so that appropriate interventions can be made.

I haven't fully read into the procedure yet, but charcoal is often used to treat overdoses of certain chemicals (there are some overdoses that will not work with it). The overdosed chemical binds to the activated charcoal while in the digestive tract instead of being absorbed into the blood stream. Of course, all this is done under the careful supervision of a medical team, because a lot of things could potentially go wrong with it (charcoal "going down the wrong pipe" and getting into the lungs, the charcoal not working with the chemical, etc).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015

Charcoal is not a toxin, it is a therapy used by medical professionals to handle acute overdoses of toxic substances, most commonly in attempted suicide by medication or little children getting into prescriptions and eating the "candy". The charcoal absorbs the toxin in the digestive system so it can be eliminated before it gets into the bloodstream. It comes in a finely ground powder that is mixed with a little saline and forced into the stomach, usually through the same tube used to pump the stomach.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Is Dr Hyman a '3 o'clock' doctor? Is he one of the infomercial group on at the wee wee hours of the morning? I think if Frank Sinatra slept during these hours he missed the Hyman time. Probably best to avoid wee wee hour doctors.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    He appears to be in cahoots with that other well known pusher of BS, Dr Oz.
    Credibility instantly hits negative numbers without even mentioning the pseudoscientific crud he is advocating.