Changes to fitness routine... thoughts please!

Ref my Fitness.

I've feel I've had enough with trying to aim for over 20k steps a day, I really don't think its necessary.

This past week I cut back to 2 days of 20k and the rest around 14-16k. (been pushing myself more and more since I got my Fitbit back in Dec 2013)

I am now thinking that maybe I don't need to even do quite that many but I'm wondering where I draw the line...

In the mornings I'm finding it now a struggle to do 10k before work - I feel fatigue from the offset. For the past week therefore I did around 7k instead but I'm not enjoying any of them. My legs ache, they just feel general fatigue.

I was thinking maybe I need to try something else? say do a 40 min circuit workout and be done with it, forget about racking up tons of steps etc. I continue to enjoy my afternoon/evening walks although with winter coming those are going to get harder - hubby and I are thinking about buying those water proof suits though, we might look strange but we'll still get out there LOL.

BUT...what if this is my slow descent into becoming a couch potato again!! Could that happen despite me being active for almost 4 yrs??

Maybe I just need a break of some sort?

This morning I did 25 mins strength, upper arms/abs and loved it. And then I did 8k steps running. I was bored and pushing myself the whole time. This is just not like me. I used to love my morning runs!

Sorry, I really am going on a bit!!

So...what if I just decided to do 10k steps a day and make time every day for strength training/yoga? (I currently do a few 30 min workouts of these)

Therefore in the mornings instead of aiming for 7-8k before work, if I just did 4 or 5k?
(btw I have a desk job so steps during the day are minimal)

It would mean my TDEE would come way down....its currently averaging 2300. It will go down quite quickly I would think to around 2000 but that's not too bad for being 5ft 2"/46yrs. I'm currently averaging 1800 calories a day and losing (decided after maintaining my goal weight for a few years to drop a few more pounds :smiley: ), I'd either have to lower those a little while I want to lose...or be happy with a slower loss....ahhhh decisions decisions!

I know that with me not enjoying the running any more that I need to switch things up and find something I do enjoy. Back to proper workouts me thinks and less caring about fitbit steps!!

That was long!! I know I'm obsessing somewhat but its good to share...right? :wink:

your thoughts please??

Thanks in advance,
Ruth

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Ruthee, I don't think there is anything wrong with how you are feeling. I actually cut my steps back to 8K as a means of identifying if I am going back into couch potato status. Some days I do way more than that (the 20K+ steps) and it is ok. I found that I can easily get 8K steps doing more things around the house and going for 1/2 hour walks without having to feel like I need to run all the time. I am positive you will figure out the right mix for this point of time and that when you do less running you might actually miss it more and enjoy it when you do it. You have your fitbit and your methods to let you know when you are gaining or not. Just know, you are not obsessing, the feeling is natural.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    @20yearsyounger thank you for your reply :smile: , its nice to hear others views and whats worked for them. A good friend has suggested Stronglifts 5x5 and I really think its time I did give this a whirl. And as you say Fitbit will keep me right with my numbers, its been pretty accurate for me to date...thanks again :smiley:
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Yeah, especially with the 'dead legs,' it sounds like you just need to take a break. Switching up exercise is a good idea *if* the new stuff sounds appealing, which you seem to be enthusiastic about it. Otherwise, nothing wrong with a short fitness vacation!
  • 20yearsyounger
    Another thought as well Ruthee, I started doing a few more functional things. Don't know where you live, but I walk to the grocery store a bit more (I pick up less things, but go more times). That way I get a little resistance and aerobic in but it's not really exercise.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @20yearsyounger I live out in the sticks, I already do the parking in furthest car park etc..also in my spare time I bake so I'm always moving around, I'm generally an up and doing kind of gal :smile:
  • 20yearsyounger
    That's good. You just have to find your minimum point. I tried 5K steps and 7k steps and I just felt like I wasn't doing my body justice. 8K gave me a good blend where I didn't feel like I had to work too hard everyday but everything still lined up well with the calories I needed. Then the day I wanted to go out and run 8 miles, it wasn't an issue either.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @20yearsyounger exactly! :smile: Fitbit for me wont show a great burn until I do about 14k (around 2100 for that amount) so time will tell what number it will give me for doing less....I'll likely have to forego some calories unfortunately but I'm sure I'll get used to eating less than the 2200 cals I had when maintaining.... I'll play it by ear and see whats what. For now I need some sort of break or I know I could face a period of several weeks feeling drained/lack of energy with overdoing things - been there done that, it was not pretty!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Just a wee update 3 months on from my change in workout ethic - so less cardio and more strength = TDEE around 2100/ average cals 1900/2000.
    Still lifting 3 times a week and loving the positive body changes :smiley:
    Average steps 12-15k but I no longer push myself to get them, if I get them I get them!

Anything above 10k is a bonus.

My weight has been stable and dropped to my lowest ever by a few pounds so I'm very happy with results so far when it comes to recomping....and I'm loving my muscles :smile:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Yeah, give yourself a break, no one needs to walk 20k steps a day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @skinnyinnotime Thanks :smile: I have several fitbit 'friends' to do 40k a day, the mind boggles as to how they get time to have a life lol
  • 20yearsyounger
    @skinnyinnotime Thanks :smile: I have several fitbit 'friends' to do 40k a day, the mind boggles as to how they get time to have a life lol
    Same here. Great job! I know it was probably hard in the beginning but its all about moving towards the new normal.