Shrinking everywhere but my stomach

Why why why why oh why, can I not lose inches in my stomach? I am aware you can't spot reduce, so is this just going to be the last to go? It has to eventually come off, right? I've lost 48lbs and my legs are leaner, arms smaller, but my stomach is nearly the same size as when I started. Its so frustrating because even though i've lost about 48lbs, I've only gone down about 1.5 pants sizes. I can almost fit into a 10- they fit perfect everywhere else, except my stomach. It is literally driving me crazy..

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    As you said, you can't spot reduce so you will have to be patient. I am in the same boat with my arms, but it will eventually come off when it decides to. Just keep doing what you're doing if you are see success elsewhere, and if you aren't already, bust out that tape measure. Sometimes when just can't see the progress that is there because we see ourselves daily.
  • meghanmfitzgerald
    meghanmfitzgerald Posts: 29 Member
    The only other thing to consider is that you may be sensitive to something that's causing bloating. Usually gluten and dairy are the most common culprits for that.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Stomach is the very last to go.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Stomach is the very last to go.

Yep, unfortunately. My arms were like twigs, my collarbones jutted out, my face thinned out too much, all before my tummy fat started to budge, and I still haven't gotten totally rid of the pooch :angry:
  • It sucks but depending on where you start you're not going to get those easy to see results all the feel good stories from the threads showcase. I'm a male and I'm in the same boat with clothing sizes. Earlier in the year I was 222lbs. Then up to 250lbs. I was 230lbs this morning. That's a whopping 30lb range. The kicker. I've worn the same clothes the entire time and they fit pretty much exactly the same. It's maddening. How is that even explainable?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    kms144 wrote: »
    Why why why why oh why, can I not lose inches in my stomach? I am aware you can't spot reduce, so is this just going to be the last to go? It has to eventually come off, right? I've lost 48lbs and my legs are leaner, arms smaller, but my stomach is nearly the same size as when I started. Its so frustrating because even though i've lost about 48lbs, I've only gone down about 1.5 pants sizes. I can almost fit into a 10- they fit perfect everywhere else, except my stomach. It is literally driving me crazy..
    Run up to your parents and yell at them. It's their genes you got. :D
    Unfortunately genetics determines how you lose. But keep at it. It'll be worth it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Just be patient and keep plugging away- it will go eventually THEN you will have some wonderful reports in 2016.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    30 Day Shred works wonders, especially the belly overhang.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    OP from your picture I'm assuming you're a mom. I'm a mom too and while I've never had that much weight to lose, I use to have a post kid pudgy tummy too. Unless you work hard at it for most moms you will have at least some pudge on your tummy no matter how much weight you lose (while staying in a healthy range). The only thing that has worked/is working for me, is strength training. Keep losing weight with a calorie deficit and lift weights, it's been 8 months since I started strength training and if someone would have told me my stomach could look like it does now, I would have laughed at them. It's not perfect (yet lol), but a major....major improvement.
  • kmcc144
    kmcc144 Posts: 84 Member
    Thanks for all of these responses! I have actually been measuring so I can assure you that I have fluctuated between a loss of .5"-1" in the past year. It's frustrating it's the last to go because I want it to be the first to go! Lol I have 3 kids ages 3, 2, and 1- so I imagine 3 pregnancies so close to each other play somewhat of a role. I'm definitely not going to give up- I'm determined to reach my goal. I've been adding strength training recently also, so I imagine it's only a matter of time.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    d*** kids

;) lol

patience. im still waiting for mine, though it has gotten better (and im down 70- some pounds)
  • fnhairnfaith
    fnhairnfaith Posts: 16 Member
    I'm reading these posts even though I'm no where near the last few pounds. This is good info to know because most of my weight IS in my stomach. I had 3 c-sections and while I don't expect to et completely flat ever again, I want to at least know that I can get close.

Also, I'm giving up gluten due to being allergic (test results revealed). I don't much eat dairy other than an occasional greek yogurt and egg whites. Cheese once in a blue moon
  • Not sure if its true for everyone, but core exercises sure helped me lose some of my pooch! (Still have a bit to go). I've lost 30 lbs and around 3 inches in the waist. I've also noticed that certain food create lasting bloating, especial complex carbs and sugars! It will eventually go tho! So don't give up. ☺️
  • darlenekarst
    darlenekarst Posts: 5 Member
    Have you tried eliminating gluten? Sometimes that can make your stomach bloated. Dairy can do the same. Bodybuilders cut out dairy weeks out from a competition. I am vegan so that is not a problem for me. Another thing that might reduce the stomach is doing fasted cardio for about 40 mins or more in the morning before eating. This will target fat reserves instead of burning carbs.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    I was not able to make any changes to my waist until I began strength training.
  • janjunie
    edited December 2015
    Have you tried eliminating gluten? Sometimes that can make your stomach bloated. Dairy can do the same. Bodybuilders cut out dairy weeks out from a competition. I am vegan so that is not a problem for me. Another thing that might reduce the stomach is doing fasted cardio for about 40 mins or more in the morning before eating. This will target fat reserves instead of burning carbs.

No! There is nothing wrong with gluten unless you have celiac disease. Dairy has calcium, so why would you want to cut out something that is healthy, and in most people does not cause bloating. Bodybuilders cut out a lot of things before a competition, they also aim to get to a very unhealthy (in the long term) body fat %. Fasted cardio is a preference and will do anything to reduce your stomach....there is no such thing as spot reduction.

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    I'm reading these posts even though I'm no where near the last few pounds. This is good info to know because most of my weight IS in my stomach. I had 3 c-sections and while I don't expect to et completely flat ever again, I want to at least know that I can get close.

Also, I'm giving up gluten due to being allergic (test results revealed). I don't much eat dairy other than an occasional greek yogurt and egg whites. Cheese once in a blue moon

Eggs are dairy???
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Also, why would someone cut out gluten? Unless you legit have had tests for celiac, I don't see the reason unless it's for other benefits. My sis went gluten free because she thinks it's helping with her adult acne. I have also heard that cutting it down would be great for my carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, and achy knees, but I love it too much. A lot of foods make you bloaty. Broccoli makes my dog fart, but it's still good for her.
  • janjunie
    Seriously with all the people making new years resolutions trying to lose weight and get healthy, there is so much misinformation being spread. Stop the insanity....instead read the stickies :)