Tesco Ultra Slim

Hey everyone, I hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

I have decided to start tesco ultra slim which is a shake for breakfast, 100cal morning snack, shake for lunch, 100cal afternoon snack, 500cal evening meal, 100cal evening snack. Calories are only approx and what I plan to stick to.

Has anyone else tried this or similar? How did you find it? What were the results?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    you won't get much love for meal replacement shakes around here. For two reasons. First, they aren't necessary and are an expensive item (just eat at a deficit instead), and secondly they often make bogus claims.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    How many calories is that shake? Because the rest of your calories for the day add up to an alarmingly small amount.

EDIT: Just occurred to me I am in fact connected to the internet and I could google it! The shake is 202 calories for the choccy one at least.

That puts you at 1k calories for the day, which, unless you're really really short, is unlikely to be enough. What are your current height and weight?
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    That won't help you build a good relationship with food. Although I have tried meal replacement shakes for something quick on the go or when I'm lazy, for just 1 meal, and they were pretty good.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited December 2015
    I wouldn't do it. But if you're going to go ahead and do these shakes, you should at least educate yourself on how to maintain your weight loss once you decide to stop doing these shakes.

Honestly, your plan sounds too aggressive to me and might lead to failure. You really should read some of the stickies in this forum to educate yourself on sustainable weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    How does this teach you how to eat breakfast and lunch? Are you going to do this for life because if not, weight regain is inevitable for 90% who try a liquid diet like this.
    If you're over weight, it's an issue of creating better habits with food consumption, not substituting meals with shakes.
    Don't take this negatively. As a professional in the field of diet and exercise, I've seen this same approach lots of times and it has a very low success rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2015
    No, I haven't, and I won't. It won't do anything else than another low calorie diet would. It doesn't teach you to eat properly or improve your relationship with food. The convenience is questionable. Apart from that, it's up to preference and personal needs. What you need to consider, is: Does it taste allright, does it give you the nutrition (including the correct amount of calories) you need, does it fill you up/satisfy you, is it reasonably priced for what you get (out of it)? Other people's results from using this product may not be relevant for you. You have to decide what is right for you.

These kinds of queries are so common. I don't understand why so many people come here on MFP, choose some non-food product line instead of normal food, deliberately override the guidelines given by MFP, and ask for others' experiences doing that, seemingly brimming with enthusiasm?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    At least 1200 calories is what you should striving for. Too few calories leads to burnout, lean muscle loss, possible hair loss, and more. Pick something more sustainable than 1,000 calories.

I agree with other posters - meal replacement teaches you nothing. What is your plan for maintenance?
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    edited December 2015
    I haven't tried those, but I did a similar diet with GNC lean shakes (170 cals).
    I am a big fan of shakes (the right opnes and used wisely) for starting dieters.
    On my plan I had one for breakfast, one for lunch, and often one after an evening run or workout. I suplemented these with healthy snacks throughout the day. I kept calories in the 1200 - 1400 range per day. It worked well for me, I lost about 65 pounds or so in just over a year. Some people don't realize that for many the goal is to lose weight and get to a healthier weight, maintenance is not that important for someone who is starting out and wants to see results. Shakes can be a good place to start because they make CICO easier to understand / manage. Once you get started and start to see results, you can spend time on forums like MFP and learn healthier low calorie options that you can start phasing in to your diet in place of shakes. By the end of the first six months I was down to one shake a day for breakfast. I still keep them in the fridge in case I want a snack. YMMV, but it worked for me.
  • LucyP12342014
    LucyP12342014 Posts: 14 Member
    I started on a low sugar protein shake for breakfast and lunch then a 800 calorie meal for tea. (I am hungrier at night) I lost two stone along with regular exercise. Now I have reintroduced dinner but keeping to the 200 calories my lunch shake was but keeping the breakfast shake on work days just out of convenience. This is not what everyone would do I know that but I needed to break my addiction to food and learn to make better choices and drop the boredom snacking. It's done that for me so far.. I'm several months in now :)
  • ninerbuff
    I haven't tried those, but I did a similar diet with GNC lean shakes (170 cals).
    I am a big fan of shakes (the right opnes and used wisely) for starting dieters.
    On my plan I had one for breakfast, one for lunch, and often one after an evening run or workout. I suplemented these with healthy snacks throughout the day. I kept calories in the 1200 - 1400 range per day. It worked well for me, I lost about 65 pounds or so in just over a year. Some people don't realize that for many the goal is to lose weight and get to a healthier weight, maintenance is not that important for someone who is starting out and wants to see results. Shakes can be a good place to start because they make CICO easier to understand / manage. Once you get started and start to see results, you can spend time on forums like MFP and learn healthier low calorie options that you can start phasing in to your diet in place of shakes. By the end of the first six months I was down to one shake a day for breakfast. I still keep them in the fridge in case I want a snack. YMMV, but it worked for me.
    So let's split the year. You lose 32.5 in the first 6 months and 32.5 in the last. But the last 6 you did it eating food. Really, what would be the difference if you learned it correctly in the first 6 months?
    You may be on of the 10% who chose a program like this to succeed. The other 90% don't. I've dealt with the 90% a lot more than the 10%, so I'd still suggest not using meal replacements as a weight loss plan.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited December 2015
    I started on a low sugar protein shake for breakfast and lunch then a 800 calorie meal for tea. (I am hungrier at night) I lost two stone along with regular exercise. Now I have reintroduced dinner but keeping to the 200 calories my lunch shake was but keeping the breakfast shake on work days just out of convenience. This is not what everyone would do I know that but I needed to break my addiction to food and learn to make better choices and drop the boredom snacking. It's done that for me so far.. I'm several months in now :)
    I applaud if you can do that for life. If you plan to have a family, how are you going to feed them or dine with them? Just cook for them or avoid what's being served and stick to your shakes? Not trying to be negative to you, but I've had to have the same conversations with people who DID have others to feed in the home. Realize that behaviors are learned and if you have children who start having weight issues, they'll approach it the same way you're doing now. Just food for thought.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Ok, but what are you going to do once you lose the weight?
  • LucyP12342014
    LucyP12342014 Posts: 14 Member
    I have a little girl she is 5. I did it to learn portion control and to break the fact that I'm an emotional eater. I binged which I haven't done in a long time. I needed some results to motivate me and its worked for me. What I have learnt on this journey in terms of the right things to eat and what's in food has been amazing and I now make the right choices. Easy meals used to be a takeaway. Now is chicken in the steamer :) this won't work for everyone and it wouldn't long term for me. But it's started a journey for me nicely. It's been a learning curve.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Eh. I think that by not replacing meals with shakes, I learned how to eat for the body I want. I logged the food I wanted, learned to like some new foods that fit better within my goal, and now I'm set for life. Well...learning to be set for life :)
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So let's split the year. You lose 32.5 in the first 6 months and 32.5 in the last. But the last 6 you did it eating food. Really, what would be the difference if you learned it correctly in the first 6 months?
    You may be on of the 10% who chose a program like this to succeed. The other 90% don't. I've dealt with the 90% a lot more than the 10%, so I'd still suggest not using meal replacements as a weight loss plan.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

With alot of questions still popping up about shakes as MR, I thought I'd revisit this. Can you clarify how I didn't "learn correctly"? I lost 60 pounds, using shakes for a good bit of that (see my part about making CICO easier to manage / understand for new dieters). I still use them as MR when I don't have time to grab anything else. And I didn't lose 32.5 the first 6 months and 32.5 the second 6 months. I lost the vast majority in the first 6-7 months.

As I said its different for everyone, but I see alot of people get frustrated and give up on CICO when they are trying to figure out how to weigh everything and understand exactly how many calories are in different foods. If shakes make it easier for those people to get started and see results, and get a better appreciation of how to calorie count (and how CICO works), then there is nothing wrong with that.
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Ive just started this diet, my first weigh in was today and ive lost 3lb. People are negative but it works for some as I can see and ive noticed a massive decrease in my hunger which is brilliant and im no longer reaching for all rubish foods when I can eat. I think it's great to get you used to better portion sizes and believe people will keep the weight off as long as they dont binge when they come off this diet
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Ive just started this diet, my first weigh in was today and ive lost 3lb. People are negative but it works for some as I can see and ive noticed a massive decrease in my hunger which is brilliant and im no longer reaching for all rubish foods when I can eat. I think it's great to get you used to better portion sizes and believe people will keep the weight off as long as they dont binge when they come off this diet

And this is a crux.

I'm "negative" because you're missing out on (pleasurable) eating - I would imagine people who are overweight, on some level like to eat - these products teach you that eating is the problem, and not the overeating ("stop eating, and you'll be fine again");

I don't really how much it costs, but I imagine it is more expensive than eating the same amount of calories in food;

it distances you from the social aspect of eating, sharing food with friends and family and just feeling like a normal person;

if eating "rubbish" is what makes you gain weight, why not stop eating rubbish, you don't need to replace rubbish food with rubbish shakes, there is a middle ground (and this ground is large); anyway, no food is rubbish per se - and no food is good for you in excess, no, not even broccoli;

counting calories isn't really all that difficult (every "weight loss" product uses this as an argument, so it's not unexpected that many believe it is) - sites like MFP does that work for you - the heavy workload is resisting temptation because you need to restrict calorie intake to lose weight;

major contributors to weight gain are pure laziness, impatience, and resistance to change. Losing and maintaining weight takes an effort and a permanent change in habits and attitudes. The idea that we are stressed and have a demanding job/family situation can make us feel overwhelmed, but it also makes us feel important and needed. These products coddle and reassure that you don't have to change anything and it's all so easy and quick, because your time is valuable; time spent on cooking and eating is a waste of time, and that peeling a banana and opening a pot of yogurt is too much work and takes too much time. Cooking and sitting down to regular meals is in fact commonly associated with healthy weight; eating on the go is mindless eating, which is associated with weight gain.

all these gimmicks being discussed here on this calorie counting site, occuring just a bit too often to be a coincidence, I don't think all these threads are started by "people who are looking for others' experience", I think most of them are more or less clever advertising.
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    I do find this easier as it's much more filling to me then what food was. My food relationship began to get out of control, I gained a stone within 2 months and can definitley tell my stomach had stretched as a normal meal wasn't filling me. I also was reaching for the extra large chocolate bars to eat when I was still hungry... It's been a week now and I don't even fancy any bad foods. I have 2 shakes, 3 snacks (healthy) and a cooked healthy tea. If this can get me to stop eating all the crap foods then why the hell not.
    I also think to come off it will be pretty easy as I already have snacks and one meals, I'll slowly introduce breakfast at the same calories I'm having then the same for dinner.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Shakes just don't fill me up and I'm in the their not really a great idea camp. They usually have you eating way too few calories too.

If it's about portion control then I've found convenience foods to actually be a good way to learn. Just not of the mac 'n cheese variety, ha. For example I have porridge most mornings for breakfast, I buy the single serve sachets. Easy peasy and more satisfying to me than a shake. Today for lunch I'm having a chicken noodle pot from the fridge of the supermarket), it's only 300 or so calories and shows exactly how we overeat noodles! No additives or anything in it, it's just conveniently already prepared for me. Another way to learn what 300 calories for lunch looks like.

I think that would be a better way to approach it as it is showing you what a normal serving looks like without you having to figure it out and I'm still getting lots of real nutrition, not artificially added to a shake nutrition.

So like others say, there is a middle ground between eating all the chocolate and severely restricting with low calorie shakes.