Anyone read the book In Defense of Food?

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." - quote from the book. Has anyone read it? I've been meaning to read it- seems like a great read.

Replies

• TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    havent yet but want to.
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    THe author read an excerpt on it on NPR, I listened as I drove in to work He says if it comes FROM a plant, eat it, if it's made IN a plant, don't eat it. I may have switched a word or two but I believe that's pretty close. I heard this the week before I started the diet and decided to stick with what he says so no more processed foods, only fresh whole grain bread and no packaged meals. I've been impressed with how much better I feel on the whole
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Reading it now. I have read his other works, "The Omnivore's Dilema" and "Food Rules" and I don;t think you can go wrong following the man's advice. Brilliant.
  • Haven't read it yet, but really want to. Just finished Omnivore's Dilemma and am - at this moment - trying to write a review for my book club and blog. Would love to know what you think when you finish it!
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    That book is fantastic! Next on my list is his other one, Omnivore's Dilemma (which was actually written first).

Another book I recently read which I actually loved even more is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's really had lasting effects on how I think about food production and feeding my family. I ended up buying a copy for all the women in my family for christmas and they're loving it just as much!
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    I would also strongly recommend this book. He gives very practical guidelines for eating. All of which could be adopted to an MFP'er's weight loss plan. Just note that it's not a diet book - it's about making smart choices at a number of levels. I would also recommend Mark Bittman's book, Food Matters.
  • SMK683
    SMK683 Posts: 31 Member
    He has a show playing on PBS now; very good. Now I'm listening to the audio book. So simplistic yet difficult for Americans to take the time to prepare fresh foods. I'm turning off the tv and computer (more) to take the time to prepare wholesome foods for my family. Also, eating out way less and choosing healthy places when we do need to eat at a restaurant.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    I just watched this the other day. It really made me think about eating less meat, esp red meat. All in all great advice
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    It's my FAVORITE non-fiction book. In fact, that quote has been my quote on my profile here since I joined.

When I lost my weight in around 2002, I used a "learn to eat slow carb whole foods" approach that made sense to me when I heard about it on NPR or something. The report talked about eating a mediterranean patter diet, and limiting highly refined carbs...it later turned out to be the Dr. who later wrote The South Beach Diet. Anyway, that's what I did. And in the meantime I really learned about eating "real" food. Whole foods. Cooking for myself. Cooking from scratch etc. In 2009 or so when In Defense of Food came out, a friend, who loves Pollan recommended it. I read it. And then read it again. I have it permanently on my Audible app, and listen to it often. It makes so much sense to me, and fit very nicely with how I'd learned to eat after listing to that NPR report so many years ago. I love how he discusses store bought bread.

The Pollan Family Table cookbook is brilliant too. His sister is Tracy Pollan (MJ Fox's wife).
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Gold. All of his work is gold. I've read his every word and seen him speak once. Omnivore's dilemma is my favorite.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Watched PBS program-VERY good. Author is Michael Pollan-has many articles available. His point is simple to understand but hard to implement for most of us.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Watched PBS program-VERY good. Author is Michael Pollan-has many articles available. His point is simple to understand but hard to implement for most of us.

I can't wait to watch the doc. I see that it's showing again tomorrow at noon MST on PBS.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Love all of his books. Very common sense.
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    In Defence of Food was recommended by a chef in my bookclub a few years ago. I found it interesting, and the general message very simple and sensible. My favourite recipes use only a few fresh ingredients and take minimal time to prepare, even for a family of 5.
  • vetvicki
    vetvicki Posts: 62 Member
    Bump! Just watched this and LOVED it!