January Walking Challenge 2016

Replies

• rkeatings
    rkeatings Posts: 78 Member
    I have been a member of MFP for a couple years....but really have been lazy about it to be honest. But I think this is a great challenge! I am in!!!!
    just as an idea for Feb...have a private group that we are all invited to and get assigned to a color....teams....and we each log every day if we can and see what group walks the most (winner) at the end of the month...might be a little more motivation! :D
  • kitchendh
    kitchendh Posts: 14 Member
    I'm in
  • wilkie81
    wilkie81 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm in
  • pudding4me
    pudding4me Posts: 2 Member
    I'm in
  • PilatesConvert
    PilatesConvert Posts: 55 Member
    I average 10k to 12k steps a day. I love waking! I can't do intense cardio for medical reasons (I pass out. It's cool, but scary).
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    1/1/2016 -- I walked 3.5 miles in 54 minutes.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    I'm in! Aiming for 100 miles this month.

January 2nd - 2 miles
  • LoveLacy
    LoveLacy Posts: 41 Member
    Today I walked at a leisurely pace for 120m, no idea how far that equates to but my feet hurt by the end so that's a good sign. :)
  • brookej8688
    brookej8688 Posts: 93 Member
    Im in, I actually have started a walking challenge for myself for the year. But this will help me succeed my goals. I am doing a walk from austin tx to los angeles, I started at 1 mile a day and increasing it half a mile every week and before the year is up i would have walked all the way to and pass los angeles california..
  • zumbabitch31
    zumbabitch31 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm game!!!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    4 miles today

exercise.png
  • MelFoulds
    MelFoulds Posts: 13 Member
    I'm looking for a step counter app for my phone. It's old, but new to me, and I have no idea how it works yet. I will probably be doing a time challenge instead of distance for now.

I use the withings app which is free and really good for tracking steps
  • SmurfBunny1027
    SmurfBunny1027 Posts: 150 Member
    2.5 mile walk around the neighborhood today. That puts me at 3.5 miles so far.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    edited January 2016
    Nicely done, everyone!

Brookej, I like your goal. I wonder if I can find the Lord of the Rings walking distances again. (I'm nerdy. What can I say?)

I had my phone in my pocket the whole time I was having a walking date with a friend, her puppy, and my dog. That was kind of impressive... 9497 steps, 5.1 miles. Weird. Didn't seem that long. I guess the friend who speaks English and not just dog also makes it easier.

I definitely will have a hard time keeping that up when work starts back on Monday and/or the sideways rain comes back.

But for now, it's sunny and COLD. I'll take it.

ETA: Here's how one does simply walk into Mordor with lots of useful information that's not about hobbits. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/23/walking/

This one has the distances for LOTR journeys. http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Walk/walk.html

I'm going to do the Bag End to Rivendell walk first. 3.5 + 5.1 = 8.6 miles in two days. That puts me getting my last glimpses of Hobbiton (http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html).

exercise.png

• NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Count me in. I have been semi-AWOL in 2015 but I need to get back at it.
  • YvonneWright2
    YvonneWright2 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Folks, just signed up to MFP, and saw this. I have tried running, and always seem to injure myself, so walking it is! Swaped to a very sedentary job last year and have piled on the pounds. Walked miles around London today, but no pedometer. Going to put one on tomorrow abd try to do 10,000 a day or equivalent each day.
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Great challenge concept. Walking is something we can all do regularly and it gives back SO much.
    Personally I love it! Today I walked hills for one hour at a brisk pace.
  • mjackson59
    mjackson59 Posts: 14 Member
    I walked 500 steps today!!!
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    I'm looking for a step counter app for my phone. It's old, but new to me, and I have no idea how it works yet. I will probably be doing a time challenge instead of distance for now.

Iamhere4- Just to let you know, a lot of the phone apps for step counting are quite innaccurate :(. Some of them require your phone screen to be awake the entire time and some of them just don't account for each person's difference in strides. It's a good idea to use time as your guide until/unless you can get a fitbit or something like it. Good luck with your new goal! :)
  • IAmHere4MyHealth
    IAmHere4MyHealth Posts: 7 Member
    I haven't managed to do any real exercise yet, and I just left a potluck that I really shouldn't have gone to! It is the first church event that I've managed to get to on a non Sunday, so I thought I'd give it a try... Not such a good idea!

I've looked into some free phone apps and think I may have found one that will work for me. If it does what it says, I should have a count tomorrow.