Vegetarian cookbooks

Hey - so I can't cook...at all. I want to change that in 2016. I've had a look at some amazon cook books for Vegetarians, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the selection. Do you guys have any books or even websites/blogs you'd recommend?

TIA! :)

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    101cookbooks is a good basic website. Mark Bittman has a basic vegetarian cookbook How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I think his books are really good for beginners. Apparently there's also an app: http://markbittman.com/app/vegetarian-how-to-cook-everything-app-for-iphone-and-ipad/
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    I'm not vegetarian and as such, really love meaty meals. But I found the book The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook and I cook out of it quite often.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    You can always try out the library, grab a few and see if any of them are up your alley :smile: (I love my libraries!)

Though Lemur12 suggested what sounds to be a great book... sometimes Amazon will allow you to view part of the book on their site
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    101cookbooks is a good basic website. Mark Bittman has a basic vegetarian cookbook How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I think his books are really good for beginners. Apparently there's also an app: http://markbittman.com/app/vegetarian-how-to-cook-everything-app-for-iphone-and-ipad/
    I'm not vegetarian and as such, really love meaty meals. But I found the book The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook and I cook out of it quite often.

Thanks!!! Very Helpful
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    I will second How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. It's one of my favourite cookbooks. What I particularly like is that bittman really encourages modification and experimentation (which is how I cook in general anyway), so many recipes have suggestions for variations, or notes saying things like 'in this recipe X is really essential' so you know you can't just sub in Y.
    Do be aware, though, that you may need to tweak some seasonings a bit and some of the recipes are a bit boring (but again, good as bases for variations).

If you are up for vegan cookbooks, Thug kitchen and any of Isa Chandra Moscowitz' cookbooks (e.g. Veganomicon or Appetite for reduction) are also good.

For blogs etc, a few that I go to for inspiration are: smittenkitchen.com/ (not exclusively vegetarian, but most of her recipes are vego), greenkitchenstories.com//, cookieandkate.com/, thegardengrazer.com, ohsheglows.com (vegan), naturallyella.com/, and vegrecipesofindia.com/ (note, I generally modify these heavily to be lower in fat)
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,441 Member
    I'm not vegetarian at all, but I do love all veggies and would like to incorporate a lot more ... figure if I can to learn how to make some actual "meals" of veggies as opposed to just roasting/steaming veggie sides it'll help, so just bumping to get any ideas of sites (with thanks to the op for posting topic, and to all those who have already shared some sites.. much appreciated! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I haven't seen this particular book, but agree that Mark Bittman is great for beginners. My library system carries several of his books.

I use a number of recipes from the original Moosewood cookbook. They tend to use a lot of cream and cheese. I had their Low Fat cookbook but must not have liked it as it is stored in Mom's attic.

I also like the Kripalu Cookbook, but this often makes use of ingredients that some would consider esoteric.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    I would check out your local library and don't forget interlibrary loan. You should be able to find plenty. As for online sites, I like allrecipes.com
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    madammags wrote: »
    I will second How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. It's one of my favourite cookbooks. What I particularly like is that bittman really encourages modification and experimentation (which is how I cook in general anyway), so many recipes have suggestions for variations, or notes saying things like 'in this recipe X is really essential' so you know you can't just sub in Y.
    Do be aware, though, that you may need to tweak some seasonings a bit and some of the recipes are a bit boring (but again, good as bases for variations).

If you are up for vegan cookbooks, Thug kitchen and any of Isa Chandra Moscowitz' cookbooks (e.g. Veganomicon or Appetite for reduction) are also good.

For blogs etc, a few that I go to for inspiration are: smittenkitchen.com/ (not exclusively vegetarian, but most of her recipes are vego), greenkitchenstories.com//, cookieandkate.com/, thegardengrazer.com, ohsheglows.com (vegan), naturallyella.com/, and vegrecipesofindia.com/ (note, I generally modify these heavily to be lower in fat)

Seconding Thug Kitchen.

Thanks for Veganomicon... I'm going to have to pick that up on the name principle alone! :)
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member

Should mention that both Thug kitchen and Isa have websites/blogs so you can check out their style:
    thugkitchen.com/recipes Note: Thug kitchen is really not for those who mind foul language
    theppk.com/

For these, I forgot to say that Smitten Kitchen, Oh She Glows, Naturally Ella, and Green Kitchen Stories all have cookbooks as well, though I've only seen the Smitten Kitchen one in person. I believe Kate from Cookie and Kate is planning on publishing one this year.

• SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    I'm vegetarian (not vegan), but I love love love "Vegan with a Vengeance" by Isa something(sorry, can't remember). The same author has other cookbooks that are amazing. Best onion rings ever. Seriously.
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member

Yes yes! I second Isa Chandra moscowitz books!!!

(I should've read the whole thread before I replied)
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Hey - so I can't cook...at all. I want to change that in 2016. I've had a look at some amazon cook books for Vegetarians, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the selection. Do you guys have any books or even websites/blogs you'd recommend?

TIA! :)

Mark Bittman, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian
    America's Test Kitchen, Complete Vegetarian Cookbook
    Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home

Don't go crazy trying to make something new every night. Plan for one or two recipes a week and make note of the ones you'd want to make again. If you can eventually shop for and make 20 meals more or less from memory then you are doing great.

When you feel like taking it to another level, get Ottolenghi's books Plenty and Plenty More.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    I have vegetarian cookbooks, but I honestly prefer Pinterest. It makes it annoying to check my phone or computer for more steps when I'm cooking, but I don't have to deal with buying a book and end up not liking a lot of the recipes. Most of my cookbooks are honestly not vegetarian, but I liked their vegetarian sections. PLus, you can make a lot of meat recipes meatless. Most of my soup recipes I can make meatless by just omitting bacon/ham and using veggie stock instead of meat stock. I have an allrecipes test kitchen cookbook that is awesome! But really, my favorite is just Pinterest. I don't even know how many spaghetti squash recipes I have on there, and made the most amazing tumeric butternut squash from someone's pin