January Walking Challenge 2016

Replies

• roadrunner432
    roadrunner432 Posts: 12 Member
    Jan 2- Made my goal of 10,000 steps today... haven't made this for months. My goal is to hit this daily
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Nicely done, everyone!

Brookej, I like your goal. I wonder if I can find the Lord of the Rings walking distances again. (I'm nerdy. What can I say?)

I had my phone in my pocket the whole time I was having a walking date with a friend, her puppy, and my dog. That was kind of impressive... 9497 steps, 5.1 miles. Weird. Didn't seem that long. I guess the friend who speaks English and not just dog also makes it easier.

I definitely will have a hard time keeping that up when work starts back on Monday and/or the sideways rain comes back.

But for now, it's sunny and COLD. I'll take it.

ETA: Here's how one does simply walk into Mordor with lots of useful information that's not about hobbits. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/23/walking/

This one has the distances for LOTR journeys. http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Walk/walk.html

I'm going to do the Bag End to Rivendell walk first. 3.5 + 5.1 = 8.6 miles in two days. That puts me getting my last glimpses of Hobbiton (http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html).

exercise.png

Awesome! I've been trying to get my family to start walking more. This might help a reluctant 13 year old son.
  • jusandy
    jusandy Posts: 2 Member
    I'm in!!!
  • jen20l6
    jen20l6 Posts: 48 Member
    edited January 2016
    I would like to join.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    Got my walk in today. 4.65 miles in an hour and 37 minutes. It was a beautiful day for a walk.
  • SmurfBunny1027
    SmurfBunny1027 Posts: 150 Member
    3 miles today, so I'm at 6.5 miles so far. Seems like a lot, but I know that will slow quite a bit tomorrow when I go back to work!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    edited January 2016
    3.9 miles today, the first mile was 18% grade up-freaking-hill.

In my nerdy LOTR walk from Bagend to Rivendell, I've recently finished supper on day one and have started walking again.

exercise.png

• kyriddic
    kyriddic Posts: 2 Member
    I walked 30 minutes today.
  • Kristieackert
    Kristieackert Posts: 8 Member
    I was sore today from my walk last night, but got in 2.2 miles in 51 minutes...on to Day Three
  • MrsFlint2013
    MrsFlint2013 Posts: 49 Member
    I'm in! I'm restarting this journey. My goal: 8,000 steps daily.
  • treseyf
    treseyf Posts: 18 Member
    OK I walked 4 miles on my treadmill 1hr. 24min.
    Almost 9,240 steps so far.
  • treseyf
    treseyf Posts: 18 Member
    Hi Folks, just signed up to MFP, and saw this. I have tried running, and always seem to injure myself, so walking it is! Swaped to a very sedentary job last year and have piled on the pounds. Walked miles around London today, but no pedometer. Going to put one on tomorrow abd try to do 10,000 a day or equivalent each day.

Welcome. ..and you can do it!

• bcbutler
    bcbutler Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in looking forward to it. Will start today
  • Alliepopp74
    Alliepopp74 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in!
  • billcjallaire
    billcjallaire Posts: 4 Member
    I'm in. Where do I log in and keep track
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Just right here, bill. Whenever you walk, just add your time/distance/steps/however you keep track right here. I'm sure even a "yup I did" is sufficient.
  • Phillippa_B
    Phillippa_B Posts: 5 Member
    I'd like to join please. My kids start back at school tomorrow, I usually walk unless the weather is severe. I'm ashamed to say tomorrow will be the first walk I've taken since they broke up a couple of weeks ago
  • SmurfBunny1027
    SmurfBunny1027 Posts: 150 Member
    2 more miles for me today. 8.5 total so far. If I keep this up I may need to increase my goal. I'm almost a third of the way there on day 4!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    I got in 3.1 miles today in an hour and 10 minutes.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    4 miles on the dreadmill this morning. They felt a lot tougher than my last walk/jog.

exercise.png