Apparently these are bad for weight loss?

Well, I saw a list that involved artificial sweeteners, orange juice, soy, and a few other things. Any of you know if this is true?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    They're bad for people with medical conditions, allergic reactions, issues moderating food, etc.

So they're bad for some individuals, but for people as a whole, everything is fair game.

Eat what you wish to eat :)

~Lyssa
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Too many calories are bad for weightloss.

I got a six pack eating ice cream 3 times a week over the summer. I stayed within my calories and hit my protein, fat, and fiber goals. It's way simpler than magazines and blogs make it out to be.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Understanding what works/doesn't work helps a lot. Logging my food without making changes to my diet or eating habits helped me recognize what worked for me, and recognize what habits were self-sabotaging. I don't drink juice because it's too easy for me to drink all my calories, and I'd rather eat them. But I use lots of artificial sweeteners and soy, and still was able to lose and maintain happily.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Depends on where you're getting your information from. For the general public not having allergic or intolerance to the above, they aren't bad. Eating more calories than you need results in weight gain and vice versa.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Artificial sweeteners are just that...artificial. Any time you are putting an unnatural additive into your body it's typically unhealthy. Also be aware that items that are sugar free that use artificial sweeteners can...weaken the bowels so to speak when eaten in more than a serving sparingly.

Soy sauce is very high in sodium. So be careful with it. We use it in small doses.

Orange juice that is freshly squeezed is healthier than the store bought kind, but as with the posts above it contains a great deal of calories.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    It's bad for weight loss if:
    It makes you exceed your calorie limit for the day;
    You have a medical condition that the food would aggravate; or
    The food makes it harder to stick to your resolve (e.g. because it leaves you feeling like your stomach is still empty, triggers cravings, or doesn't fall within a way of eating that is sustainable for you ).

The first is the general principle; the second two are very individual.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    It is a secret that to lose weight you must eat less. Exactly what you eat is irrelevant.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Well, I saw a list

First rule of Food Club: Ignore those lists. Ignore magazine covers, easy-diet click bait on Facebook, 90% of the "health" section of your preferred news media source and 99% of any advice offered by friends, family and inquiring strangers.

Consume less than you burn. That's it.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    flaminica wrote: »
    Well, I saw a list

First rule of Food Club: Ignore those lists. Ignore magazine covers, easy-diet click bait on Facebook, 90% of the "health" section of your preferred news media source and 99% of any advice offered by friends, family and inquiring strangers.

Consume less than you burn. That's it.

^ Spot on.