Any other women hate having periods

Replies

• wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    I hate to ask, but aren't you pre-med? I'm a little concerned that you have so little understanding of your body and a medication you've been on since you were 15. The 28 day pack has 21 pills of one colour, and 7 of the other, right? the 7 are sugar pills - they just keep you in the habit of taking a daily pill. They have no other effect. You get a 'period' then because it is a withdrawal bleed from not having the hormones in the other pills for 7 days. If you skip the sugar pills and just go straight to the next pack and continue with the 'real' pills, you won't get your period. You'll go through your prescription faster because you're only getting 3 weeks out of a pack rather than 4, but voila - no period.

In the spirit of lightheartedness the two funniest descriptors for period I've heard of late:

1. A period is when your body spends 3 weeks getting the baby's room ready, finds out you're not going to use it, and trashes the joint in a fit of rage.

2. In Denmark, they have a euphemism for period which translates as "The communists are in the fun house"

Dude I take birth control. I don't take no sugar pill *kitten*

Perhaps the best way to explain the sugar pills is just to say they're the hormone-free pills that cause you to bleed for the week between the ones with hormones in them. I understand not being fully aware, but people have explained it multiple times in different ways and you're still not grasping the concept. That's a little disturbing, but then I understood way back in the stone age when I was 15 and was told how the pills worked.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Nope. I love my period. It gives me a monthly gauge on my health, actually.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    mkakids wrote: »
    Anyone not hate it?! Lol. Im guessing most of us dislike it.

Sure. Me, for example. Why would I? It's a normal biological function of my body and I don't possess any health/anatomical based/medical conditions related to either my reproductive tract or menstruation which would cause me to feel otherwise. So for me it'd be the same as saying I "hate" urinating. Or defecating. Or sneezing. *shrug*

I do, however, detest the ParaGard IUD since it causes horrible cramping and increased bleeding that does not necessarily resolve with time. Plus, for some unlucky women, it causes chronic BV. I also detest oral contraceptive since the venous thrombotic risk for those over 35 thing is real and, from personal experience, sucks eggs. /:

^^This. About the iud too.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Yes, it's birth control. This is from Web-MD:

"Your pill pack contains 21 pills with active medication. It also contains 7 reminder pills with no medication. Take one active pill (with hormones) once daily for 21 days in a row. If you are using a product with 28 tablets, take an inactive pill once daily for 7 days in a row after you have taken the last active pill unless otherwise directed by your doctor. You should have your period during the fourth week of the cycle. After you have taken the last inactive tablet in the pack or gone 7 days without taking an active tablet, start a new pack the next day whether or not you have your period. If you do not get your period, consult your doctor."

If you don't take the 'inactive' pills (AKA sugar pills) and just start a new pack of 'active' pills, you will skip your period. You might want to speak to your doctor about this and do some research. It's important to completely understand things that you're putting into your body.

But yes, as I said, 7 of the pills you take each month don't have medication, and that's when you get your period. The other 21 pills will have stopped you ovulating earlier in the month, and that's why you don't get pregnant in that time, even though you're not taking actual medication.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
    wrenak wrote: »
    I hate to ask, but aren't you pre-med? I'm a little concerned that you have so little understanding of your body and a medication you've been on since you were 15. The 28 day pack has 21 pills of one colour, and 7 of the other, right? the 7 are sugar pills - they just keep you in the habit of taking a daily pill. They have no other effect. You get a 'period' then because it is a withdrawal bleed from not having the hormones in the other pills for 7 days. If you skip the sugar pills and just go straight to the next pack and continue with the 'real' pills, you won't get your period. You'll go through your prescription faster because you're only getting 3 weeks out of a pack rather than 4, but voila - no period.

In the spirit of lightheartedness the two funniest descriptors for period I've heard of late:

1. A period is when your body spends 3 weeks getting the baby's room ready, finds out you're not going to use it, and trashes the joint in a fit of rage.

2. In Denmark, they have a euphemism for period which translates as "The communists are in the fun house"

Dude I take birth control. I don't take no sugar pill *kitten*

Perhaps the best way to explain the sugar pills is just to say they're the hormone-free pills that cause you to bleed for the week between the ones with hormones in them. I understand not being fully aware, but people have explained it multiple times in different ways and you're still not grasping the concept. That's a little disturbing, but then I understood way back in the stone age when I was 15 and was told how the pills worked.

So mine what continue the cravings and let me have a period?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    It's protecting me from getting pregnant right? I was always told it was birth control

See the line on the package, where it says each green pill contains inert ingredients? Do you know what inert means? Inactive. No effect. Does not do anything. Placebo. AKA sugar pills. These pills are just meant to keep you in the habit of continuing to take a pill at the same time of day each day. They don't actually have the hormones in them.

I'm really starting to question if this is actually a serious thread.
  • WinoGelato
    Hey guys - maybe we should just let OP continue taking her pills the way she has been taking them. I would hate for her to end up pregnant by getting off track with these pills trying to avoid her period. Dontcha think?
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Hey guys - maybe we should just let OP continue taking her pills the way she has been taking them. I would hate for her to end up pregnant by getting off track with these pills trying to avoid her period. Dontcha think?

I don't even know how things elevated to my birth control. All I asked was any women who hates their period too.

I mean now these people have me curious with them. Am I not protected from sex now?
  • WinoGelato

I don't even know how things elevated to my birth control. All I asked was any women who hates their period too.

I mean now these people have me curious with them. Am I not protected from sex now?

Seriously. Stop. Go get your packet of birth control pills. Inside it should be a brochure that explains all of this.

Now, taking a step backwards, I'm concerned...

Has anyone ever explained to you about how your cycle actually works and how there are only certain number of days/month where you are ovulating that you can actually get pregnant? Birth control pills use hormones to prevent you from ovulating. If you forget to take a pill, probably no big deal. If you forget several pills, you could start ovulating and have a higher risk of getting pregnant.

I'm going to reiterate my statement that I think it is probably best that you just continue taking the pills and suffering through those periods because I would be very concerned if you were to get pregnant and have a baby. You seem like you are nowhere near ready for that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

I agree. Either this is not a serious thread, or she should discuss this with her doctor.
    OP- go to your OBGYN, tell her you are interested in ways to stop getting your period or even not getting it as often and see what they say. You do have options.

Having said that, I'm a little disappointed in the women posting that they are surprised other women would complain about something their body naturally does, just deal with it. Some women experience severe cramping, migraines, and psychological symptoms related to PMS, that can require serious medication or affect their ability to work or care for their children every month. Also depending on where in the world they are, they might not have access to the same over the counter meds and hygiene products that you do. And if other women can't sympathize with that, who could?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Jesus Christ on a stick...

Yes you are as protected from pregnancy as you can be with oral contraceptives if you are taking your pill every day as directed. What people are saying is that if you don't want to have your period you can skip it by not taking the 'sugar' pills in the pack and just moving onto the next pack instead.

But I'm with WinoGelato. Keep taking your pill as you have been because you clearly don't get it and doing anything else is a recipe for disaster of the baby kind.
  • WinoGelato
    OP I was intrigued by your user name and went to your diary. Why are you eating less than 1000 cals/day? Your profile says you have 3 pounds to lose. This, along with your statements about hating to eat and not liking having an appetite, is concerning...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member

Seriously. Stop. Go get your packet of birth control pills. Inside it should be a brochure that explains all of this.

Has anyone ever explained to you about how your cycle actually works and how there are only certain number of days/month where you are ovulating that you can actually get pregnant? Birth control pills use hormones to prevent you from ovulating. If you forget to take a pill, probably no big deal. If you forget several pills, you could start ovulating and have a higher risk of getting pregnant.

I'm going to reiterate my statement that I think it is probably best that you just continue taking the pills and suffering through those periods because I would be very concerned if you were to get pregnant and have a baby. You seem like you are nowhere near ready for that.

Agreed. OP, please please educate yourself. You put these things in your body every day, you should know how they work. Frankly, you shouldn't be having sex if you don't know how your birth control works. And agreed, please just keep taking them as you have been, as they seem to be working, and I'd hate for them to stop. I mean that in nothing but genuine concern.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94

Okay sorry I just got worried. I'm not ready to be a parent
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    At this point in life, I like my period because it means that I am not having an unplanned pregnancy. :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited January 2016
    kimny72 wrote: »

...Having said that, I'm a little disappointed in the women posting that they are surprised other women would complain about something their body naturally does, just deal with it. Some women experience severe cramping, migraines, and psychological symptoms related to PMS, that can require serious medication or affect their ability to work or care for their children every month. Also depending on where in the world they are, they might not have access to the same over the counter meds and hygiene products that you do. And if other women can't sympathize with that, who could?

I don't think posters are giving women who have severe pain, etc., a hard time. I think that is reserved for those whose appetite goes up a bit or dislike the "mess."

I am personally trying to refrain from getting into "my period is worse than yours so count your blessings" :D

But for 30 years it was no big deal and I accepted it as a normal biological function. I also like how I want to "nest" for a few days beforehand - this is when I get my deep cleaning done.

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I love having my period. It's the best. Bleeding and having cravings that make it hard to stay in my calorie limit are so much fun. Oh, and cramps are the best part!

You almost caused me to ruin my laptop from spitting water on it while laughing after taking a sip. Luckily, I turned my head just in time. :D:D:D

• angg129
    angg129 Posts: 6 Member
    I think all women hate getting periods
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Op, look into the five year plan. There's a shot that will protect you from pregnancy for five years , and many other forms of contraception .

Its important to understand what you are putting into your body. Please start by reading the pamphlet that came attached to the pills. This will explain why you are indeed taking an inactive pill for 7 days out of the month. I would read it and speak to your obgyn about any questions regarding contraception or conception that you may have .
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    id rather have my period than be pregnant.

pick your evil.

LOLOLOL