Any other women hate having periods

Replies

• MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    edited January 2016
    Yep I hate mine! 45 years old and keep wishing menopause will hit soon! I know many people say menopause sucks, but to me, I have had rough periods ever since I was in my teens. Exercise does help greatly with cramping, but it still often has me wanting to be bed-ridden the first day or two. Pain pills don't even touch the pains sometimes (you name the pill, I have probably tried it!!). Yeah, I am looking forward to menopause!!
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Imagine a First World country where women got over the fact of their own biology and sucked it up. Owned their own biology for a few days and dealt with real life. If a period is the worst thing that is happening to you, you have things pretty good. Take a Midol, have a binge day, and move on.

? No one said it was the worst thing happening to them, just that it was really unpleasant, which it is. This isn't the *kitten* Suffering Olympics. It can make you depressed and anemic and feel like someone is scraping out your intestines with a scalpel, which is reason enough to hate something you never asked for. If you don't feel like complaining about it you don't have to respond to the thread.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited January 2016
    Just want to add another vote for a menstrual cup (DivaCup user myself). Also, cloth pads. As another poster mentioned, you may find that the use of one or the other or both helps with cramping.

OP, please don't alter the way you take your medication without consulting your physician (it seems like you have no intention of doing so, I just think it's important to reiterate that). Also, you should really eat more, and increase your iron and protein consumption. Finally, give yourself permission to "binge" a little. You can give in to some of your cravings and still eat at a deficit, or at least at maintenance.

Finally, as others have stated, I strongly, strongly encourage you to learn more about what you are putting into your body, and potential alternatives.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Nope can't say that I hate it at all. I don't get extra hungry, I guess it helps the fact I ast 4 days a week, no reason to eat when I'm not actually hugry.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    I dont hate mine, i have severe PCOS and from 15-28 i never knew if one was going to arrive, if i would ever be able to have children (was told i couldnt at some point in the middle of that time). I have had 3 children without fertility treatment so thank my body for working properly. I watch for the signs each month (do not have an accurate cycle) and am able to avoid the desire to binge eat bad things as i have discovered my body in fact craves protein.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Being in menopause, I am so grateful to not have periods. My daughter gets a shot for birth control that also eliminates her period.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited January 2016
    I LOVE them. I love blood sloughing offy uterus and draining out of my fun hole vagina. I especially love those occasional thick chunks that feeling your laying an egg if you're not using a tampon. My favorites part though is the the cramping. It makes me feel alive as as I display once again how I didn't make anyone that month!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    brower47 wrote: »
    I LOVE them. I love blood sloughing offy uterus and draining out of my fun hole vagina. I especially love those occasional thick chunks that feeling your laying an egg if you're not using a tampon. My favorites part though is the the cramping. It makes me feel alive as as I display once again how I didn't make anyone that month!

Sarcasm at its finest! <3
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    You're In the year 2016, I take birth control and haven't had a period for a year. If you don't want one you don't have to one...
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
    brower47 wrote: »

Lol sarcasm #WIN
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    I hate the two days before when I will eat anything that isn't nailed down BUT once it arrives I feel so much better--like my whole self is getting cleaned out. The week after I feel terrific. Kind of a lousy cycle though! I am 45 and done having kids so I could totally do without it at this point in my life!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I have always hated my periods. I would have been happy to never ever have one. But I started early and they just keep going and going and going.

And then to add insult to injury ... when I exercise lots, that triggers them to start! 99% of other women increase their exercise significantly and lose their periods. Not me ... I'll get an extra one that month. Yay.

And if that wasn't enough, I spent the whole of 2014 with my periods lasting 3 weeks out of every 4 weeks. Let me tell you, that puts a damper on ideas like, "let's go swimming at the beach". I just figured it was a cruel trick of perimenopause until in early December 2014, I finally went to the Dr about it and was rushed in to see a obgyn and rushed into surgery in January 2015.

Fortunately since then I've been back to a more normal 10-day period, so I'm thankful for that.

But there will be dancing in the streets when it all finally comes to an end.

As for feeling hungry before a period, I have discovered that when I weigh more, I'm hungrier ... and when I weigh less, I rarely get those hungry feelings. Something to be said for staying really slender. :)

• emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    So much hate!! My husband and I have no desire at all for kids. We don't hate them, but we certainly don't like them either. I have medical issues that make child bearing almost impossible, I'm also on blood thiners. Trust me, you don't want to know what that's lik! My GYN won't back a permanent solution because we are "too young", I'm in my 30's and at this point I don't see either if us magically wanting children. She did prescribe mirena (LOVE IT!) I'm not completely period free but it's better than it ever has been before.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Nah, I don't hate it, though it took me many years to develop an appreciation for it. Im 48 now, and I dont really look forward to my period going away for good. That just brings other problems to learn to manage.

Your period is very good at sending you signals when there is something wrong with your health, so you should listen for the signals and talk to your doctor who might be able to help.

Sometimes dietary changes can help. I used to take evening primrose oil every day, and I think I felt some symptomatic relief, but that could have been psychosomatic. Make sure you're eating enough. A lot of times, exercise helps the alleviate symptoms.

You could probably stand to do some research, and learn about what's going on with your body and the medications you take. I make no judgements in that regard. I didn't have a mother who explained all those things to me. I didn't even see a gyno until I was 21 years old. I didn't really start to understand what was going on until my 30s when I decided to have children.

One thing that always helps is to take it easy on yourself during your period. So you eat too much or you're cranky. It will pass. I consider it as a sort of monthly renewal. Renewal can be painful. Pain makes me stronger. That might sound hokey to some, but that works for me since I can't change it, I can only manage the symptoms.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    I don't hate it - just a part of life. I don't find it particularly inconvenient or bothersome though. I like that it kills my appetite for a few days.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Hey guys - maybe we should just let OP continue taking her pills the way she has been taking them. I would hate for her to end up pregnant by getting off track with these pills trying to avoid her period. Dontcha think?

I agree. Either this is not a serious thread, or she should discuss this with her doctor.
    OP- go to your OBGYN, tell her you are interested in ways to stop getting your period or even not getting it as often and see what they say. You do have options.

Having said that, I'm a little disappointed in the women posting that they are surprised other women would complain about something their body naturally does, just deal with it. Some women experience severe cramping, migraines, and psychological symptoms related to PMS, that can require serious medication or affect their ability to work or care for their children every month. Also depending on where in the world they are, they might not have access to the same over the counter meds and hygiene products that you do. And if other women can't sympathize with that, who could?

Oh, please. This thread wasn't started about serious health issues. It was (and continued as) about appetite and cramps and bleeding. That's what needs to be gotten over.
    I'm not going to sympathize with any of that. There are a lot of worse things that could be (and are) happening to people everywhere than a monthly period, and the fact that women seem to need to come into the forums to go on about them ad nauseum gets old.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    So much hate!! My husband and I have no desire at all for kids. We don't hate them, but we certainly don't like them either. I have medical issues that make child bearing almost impossible, I'm also on blood thiners. Trust me, you don't want to know what that's lik!

I do know what that's like ... I went onto Warfarin in August 2009 after developing DVT and was on it for a year. In that time I also discovered that the same genetic mutation that causes me to form blood clots also makes it next to impossible for me to have a child. That explains a few things from my younger days.

But what the Warfarin did for my periods was to shorten them to the most astoundingly intense 2-3 days ... and then they were done. It was amazing! I didn't much like those 2-3 days, but loved that it was over and done in such a short time. Oh, and no cramping either ... just Niagara Falls.

Of course, the whole blood clot thing means no hormone replacement therapy (i.e. birth control pills) ever again.

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    So much hate!! My husband and I have no desire at all for kids. We don't hate them, but we certainly don't like them either. I have medical issues that make child bearing almost impossible, I'm also on blood thiners. Trust me, you don't want to know what that's lik! My GYN won't back a permanent solution because we are "too young", I'm in my 30's and at this point I don't see either if us magically wanting children. She did prescribe mirena (LOVE IT!) I'm not completely period free but it's better than it ever has been before.

I think it's unfair that they'll not listen to you. I made the same request in my 20's and got no support from the doctor. I'm almost 40 now, child free, and still no desire to have one. IMO the doc should have honored my request 20 years ago :/ I'm glad the Mirena's working for you - I just had mine removed a few months ago after five years. It really is convenient!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

Has your husband talked to his doctor about getting a vasectomy? Maybe he would be taken more seriously >.<

What would a permanent solution for you look like - a hysterectomy? That's a far bigger deal than a vasectomy so I can see where your GYN is coming from.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited January 2016
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Hey guys - maybe we should just let OP continue taking her pills the way she has been taking them. I would hate for her to end up pregnant by getting off track with these pills trying to avoid her period. Dontcha think?

I agree. Either this is not a serious thread, or she should discuss this with her doctor.
    OP- go to your OBGYN, tell her you are interested in ways to stop getting your period or even not getting it as often and see what they say. You do have options.

Having said that, I'm a little disappointed in the women posting that they are surprised other women would complain about something their body naturally does, just deal with it. Some women experience severe cramping, migraines, and psychological symptoms related to PMS, that can require serious medication or affect their ability to work or care for their children every month. Also depending on where in the world they are, they might not have access to the same over the counter meds and hygiene products that you do. And if other women can't sympathize with that, who could?

Oh, please. This thread wasn't started about serious health issues. It was (and continued as) about appetite and cramps and bleeding. That's what needs to be gotten over.
    I'm not going to sympathize with any of that. There are a lot of worse things that could be (and are) happening to people everywhere than a monthly period, and the fact that women seem to need to come into the forums to go on about them ad nauseum gets old.

Just because there are worse things out there doesn't mean you can't express your dislike for something.

You wouldn't tell someone who was happy about something that they're not allowed to feel happy because other people have it better. Same logic applies.

Chill. If threads about them bother you so much, just avoid them.