Is This Even Possible?? Lose weight but get bigger??

2»

Replies

• joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    JanieJack wrote: »
    my question wasn't just about me- which is why I didn't originally write it about my case. I am genuinely curious what are all the reasons someone could lose weight and get bigger.

Fluid retention from increasing exercise.. circulation disorders.. shrinking clothes.. :+1:

I like the "shrinking clothes" reason. I am thinking also, accidentally wearing smaller size without paying attention could give the impression that one's hips are bigger :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    you left out a glaring piece of information.

Yeah, but my question wasn't just about me- which is why I didn't originally write it about my case. I am genuinely curious what are all the reasons someone could lose weight and get bigger.

Why? because over the years I've heard lots of "I lost 10-20-fill-in-the-blank pounds but am getting bigger" and I NEVER believed them. I just figured they were sneak eating or not really losing weight like they said. Well now it happened to me and it's got me thinking.

I was really curious as to what would cause that situation and my original google search just came up with diet pill ads.

I've been on this board about 4 years now. I've seen a lot of strange questions. I can't recall one question on someone losing 10-20lbs and getting bigger.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Yeah, but my question wasn't just about me- which is why I didn't originally write it about my case. I am genuinely curious what are all the reasons someone could lose weight and get bigger.

Why? because over the years I've heard lots of "I lost 10-20-fill-in-the-blank pounds but am getting bigger" and I NEVER believed them. I just figured they were sneak eating or not really losing weight like they said. Well now it happened to me and it's got me thinking.

I was really curious as to what would cause that situation and my original google search just came up with diet pill ads.

I've been on this board about 4 years now. I've seen a lot of strange questions. I can't recall one question on someone losing 10-20lbs and getting bigger.

especially one that wasn't about the OP him or herself
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Congratulations on your new baby

I think you might need to try to catch up on some sleep :)
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member

Unless getting bigger referred to the magical muscle building women are capable of.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP get yourself some yoga pants, eat a balanced diet, stay hydrated (especially if nursing), sleep as much as you possibly can, and enjoy the new baby. I definitely wouldn't be trying to overthink why my clothes weren't fitting or googling random things when I'm so newly post partum, it's a recipe for trouble. And for god's sake if you think people are mean here, stay away from the mommy forums.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP get yourself some yoga pants, eat a balanced diet, stay hydrated (especially if nursing), sleep as much as you possibly can, and enjoy the new baby. I definitely wouldn't be trying to overthink why my clothes weren't fitting or googling random things when I'm so newly post partum, it's a recipe for trouble. And for god's sake if you think people are mean here, stay away from the mommy forums.

babycenter.*shudder*
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Am I missing something here or are you all just jerks? I've lost over 20 pounds in the 6 weeks since I had my baby. I would have expected the clothes I was wearing at 9 months pregnant to be looser, not tighter. Scale doesn't lie, but clothes don't lie either. Thanks for your "help"

Why not both?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    "Is this even possible?"

Apparently yes?
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Am I missing something here or are you all just jerks? I've lost over 20 pounds in the 6 weeks since I had my baby. I would have expected the clothes I was wearing at 9 months pregnant to be looser, not tighter. Scale doesn't lie, but clothes don't lie either. Thanks for your "help"

Everyone else is pretty chill, I'm a bonafide a-hole though.

All bets are off immediately after a c-section. You were just cut in half, weird things happen.

When asking about body composition, not mentioning that you were cut in half less than two weeks prior is a waste of everyone's time. That's like asking why your pupils are dilated but not mentioning that you just did a two foot line of blow 10 minutes ago.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    DYELB wrote: »

Everyone else is pretty chill, I'm a bonafide a-hole though.

All bets are off immediately after a c-section. You were just cut in half, weird things happen.

When asking about body composition, not mentioning that you were cut in half less than two weeks prior is a waste of everyone's time. That's like asking why your pupils are dilated but not mentioning that you just did a two foot line of blow 10 minutes ago.

Here's another way of thinking of this: if you already had all the answers, why would you have needed to ask the question?
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    I had a baby in July. Lost 10 after my csection.

My clothes fit worse - the baby bump disguised a lot and without the bump everything was just jiggly.

You might not actually be bigger - just that things don't look right without a nice firm belly sitting atop the hips that were always there.
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    last time I lost weight and my hips got wider I found out I was pregnant.

Hahahahaha
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Seem like jerks to me. A lot of factors go into widening hips, its hard to say why they are growing without having more information. In your situation its obviously from the baby. Congratulations by the way.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    joinn68 wrote: »
    I like the "shrinking clothes" reason.

Turns out the reason all my clothes fit tight is bc hubby sweetly did my laundry for me... only everything shrunk. Thanks for the input and the laughs. Reading back over the thread, yeah I needed more sleep.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    you can get fatter while losing weight because Fat takes up more space than muscle of equal weight so if you lose muscle and gain fat you can lose weight and gain size. I think lol that is confusing.. Ya I need some sleep too..
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    you can get fatter while losing weight because Fat takes up more space than muscle of equal weight so if you lose muscle and gain fat you can lose weight and gain size. I think lol that is confusing.. Ya I need some sleep too..

Definitely need some sleep. ;)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2016
    3 kids in.... and these hips dont lie. And I love them for it! <3
    If its a matter of your clothes fitting tighter perhaps you are bloated? Fluid retention? Are you breast feeding? Where is the first place you gain weight and lose it? Have you resumed your monthly cycle? How much exercising are you doing?
    Congrats on your baby!!
    But I would wait until at least several more weeks postpartum before stressing yourself over it- your body is still fresh from delivery.

ETA: Finished an incomplete thought. derp!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    joinn68 wrote: »
    I like the "shrinking clothes" reason.

Turns out the reason all my clothes fit tight is bc hubby sweetly did my laundry for me... only everything shrunk. Thanks for the input and the laughs. Reading back over the thread, yeah I needed more sleep.

This is why I do the laundry. LOL. Bless him.