Greek Yoghurt

So - I love low fat greek yoghurt... it's high in protein, it tastes great, makes good shakes etc. I currently buy Total 0% Greek Yoghurt, partly because I like the taste/texture compared to others, but mostly because it has, by a fair margin, the "best" macros I've found (ok, "best" is not the correct word - I mean, it's got the highest ratio of protein to carbs, which is what I want from yoghurt).

Problem is - I'm not all that well-off, and the stuff is expensive! Compare to supermarket brands (500g tub for around £1), Total yoghurt is around £2.20-2.40 in the local supermarkets. My question is - does anyone know anywhere (in the UK, or online I guess) to get this particular yoghurt cheaper, or of any other brands of greek yoghurt with comparable macros (10.3g protein, 4g carbs, 0g fat, 57cal per 100g)?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Extend it with whatever is cheap enough where you are with flax seeds, chia seeds, or peanuts. Or consider getting a yogurt maker.
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    edited January 2016
    You don't have to be well off for it. First, buy about 10 oz of it (the small cups). Then, go on pinterest and find the recipe for "crock pot greek yogurt". It works over night, makes a TON of it, and it's the same culture in your favorite. I prefer Chobani myself. Just in case you can't find it, this is how you do it.
    Turn crockpot on warm and pour in a gallon of milk. Let this "cook" for 2 hours 45 minutes on the low setting. Turn off the crock pot and let it cool for 3 hours. Stir in store bought yogurt make sure it's plain greek yogurt with active cultures (around 8 oz, or 10 oz if you get the 5 oz cups) and wrap in a towel, let it sit overnight. The longer it sits, the tangier it gets it so 12-18 hours is about optimal. You have to let it cool after the cook stage or it will kill the culture in it. Stick your finger in it and if it's only barely warm it's fine, if you can't hold your finger in it, it's too hot for your culture.
    Use a large old towel and a colander, pour in the yogurt from the crockpot, after the 12-18 hours it is yogurt, but you need to strain out the whey to make it thick. It takes maybe 1-2 hours to strain. After that, you get about 3 quarts of yogurt. I usually tie the towel up with butcher string and hang it over a bowl to strain it.

Hope that helps, we are a family of 6 and go through the big tubs really fast, so this is very economic. You can also save 1/2 a cup to a cup of yogurt back from what you made to make the next batch. You can reuse your home made yogurt about 3x before you need to buy at the store again. It ends up being about $3 for 3 qts of yogurt this way (that's including having to buy the yogurt at the store, and milk is $1.99 a gallon here).

Side note, you can adjust the fat by using different percentages of milk. I use whole for greek yogurt, but it works with skim and 1% also. It just isn't as rich. But if you're already getting the 0% (which is yogurt made from skim milk) then you should be used to it.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Yeah, I must confess I have also fallen into the Fage trap, nothing compares to it. Tried Skyr as it's close in terms of macros but not a fan of the texture. Keep an eye out for it on special in places, I know Sainsbury's is currently doing the 500g tubs for £2 for example.
    As Roda suggests though, add some other macro friendly things to it to make it last longer. I have mine with almonds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and some cranberries, need less yogurt, get quite a bit of fibre in too.
  • mdlowrance
    mdlowrance Posts: 20 Member
    The crockpot method is great. I've done it several times.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited January 2016
    I have a mild addiction to Rachel's Greek style yogurt... it's a bit more expensive than the supermarket brands, but it goes on sale quite frequently. The Yeo Valley stuff is also pretty good.

*Edit: Nevermind. Just looked up the macros for both of these... they're waaaay off.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    i will have to try the crock pot method. but i don't eat that much greek yogurt. i do use it for sour cream replacement.
  • nch1993x
    nch1993x Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll have to look into the crockpot thing... and I'll give Skyr a go if I can find some.
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Can greek yogurt be bad for asthma sufferers, does it cause mucus in the lungs?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I make homemade yogurt frequently. You don't need an expensive yogurt maker or even a crockpot. You can make it on the stove with a pot. It's very easy actually. And cheaper than buying it already made.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    edited January 2016
    I love DIY projects but is anyone here knowledgeable about what kind of a nutrient profile you end up with making it yourself? Because like the OP, I'm totally in love with Fage's macros (as well as its taste and texture -- yuuuuummmmm).

I mean, you have to strain off the whey, and I imagine there's an art to straining enough of it for the texture you want, but not so much that you leech a lot of protein out?

eta: As in, is there a technique to making sure your strained off whey is as watery as possible, leaving more of the whey solids behind or something? I just imagine different people will get different results based on temperature, equipment, timing, and cultures....