CPAP Complication?

krissymae88
krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
Hi. So I'm on my final month of the pre-op diet. I had a sleep study about 3 months ago and was given a CPAP. I could not get the hang of the dang thing. Even with the sleeping pills my doctor gave to help get used to the machine I could only handle a couple hours with the machine on. I think it's because I'm a side/stomach sleeper and the mask was so uncomfortable in those positions. And maybe I had a touch of claustrophobia cause it was a creepy feeling having the mask on. Haha, I don't know.

I had to return the machine due to my lack of use so that I didn't get charged for it by my insurance. So now I'm worried that my failure with the CPAP will affect my ability to get my surgery approved by my insurance next month. Will it make me look like I can't commit to changes or that I will be unsuccessful with surgery?

I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with this kind of situation.

Replies

• Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    I wasn't in your situation, but I did wear a CPAP before surgery due to sleep apnea. I too was unable to tolerate the full face mask, it felt claustrophobic. I am a side sleeper so it was very uncomfortable.
    Were you given the option to try the kind that fits inside your nostrils only, and leaves your face free? I use the Breeze, here is a link to it: http://www.cpap.com/productpage/puritan-bennett-new-breeze-system-sleepgear-interface.html
    (I don't recommend this site in particular, just the first site I found with the headgear).
    I am able to sleep on my side and I don't even feel that it's on my head!
  • krissymae88
    Autum1031 wrote: »
    Were you given the option to try the kind that fits inside your nostrils only, and leaves your face free?

I did. I tried those kind and the full nose mask. Both were uncomfortable. I got to keep the nose mask and tube. I think I liked those better than the nostril pillow thingys. I'm just kicking myself for not trying harder to get used to it.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    yeah, for me it took a solid 2 weeks before my body learned to accept the damn air. I got some really restful nights out of it though. When I lost a lot of the weight, I found that the air pressure is now way too high, and I can not sleep with it. During my surgery, they didn't even use the CPAP, despite telling me that is was required. I also used the pillow mask, due to facial hair being in the way
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    It certainly takes some getting used to. I used one for over 10 years and it got to the point where my wife couldn't sleep *without* me having it on. The white noise was helpful for her. Now that I am into maintenance, my pressure is much lower, and I don't use it every night (although I should). I hope it won't set you back, but if you get another chance to use one, hopefully it will go better.

I also use the nasal pillows and hated the full or nose only masks.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    I have sleep apnea as well. Mine was caused by a combination of my uvula (the dangly thing in the back of your throat) being longer than normal and obviously, the obesity. I'm pretty sure that my air pressure also needs adjusted now but I still use it regularly.

This is how the interview before my sleep study went:

Doc: Tell me how you feel when you wake up each morning.
    Me: Well, just like everybody, I'm tired, have to stretch, need some coffee to get up and get moving...
    Doc: You know that's not normal, right? That most people start their day fully awake and refreshed?
    Me: ??????????

It took me a few days to get used to it initially, but once I realized I had never had a good night's sleep until I actually had one with it, I was sold.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    As a hosehead as well, I can appreciate the fact that I now feel like I am rested when I wake up. My hubby had noticed a huge difference after the first week. Now that it is winter, I have the humidifier on a bit and that has helped with keeping the nose from getting to dried out.

BUT, I did not like the first mask I was given. I actually had tried three different ones before I had found what worked and fit and was not feeling like it was closing my face in and clausterphobic feeling.

I am a side sleeper as well, and the tech stated that I needed to modify my pillow a bit to help with sleeping with the mask on. Basically, take a generic pillow, one you don't mind putting duct tape on because it isn't coming off of there. Take it and put duct tape around the middle of the pillow, making it indent on the sides of. So instead of a rectangle, it made a triangle thingie on the sides. Wrap the tape around a few times, basically making a way for you to sleep on your side and a way for the mask to nestle in that indention. Put two pillowcases on it and you are good to go. What you are making is a CPAP pillow without paying the huge prices for it. That helped a lot with sleeping on my side and not having leaking because of it.

Since surgery, and now being over 75 down, I am still using my CPAP because I feel that it still makes a difference in my sleeping. Right now, I can't sleep without it, two years later, it is a comfort, because I know that I am sleeping and getting rested. I have switched masks, and am using a nasal pillow for the first time, and a few days in, I am liking this one and I don't get mask lines across my face.

Anyways, I think that they make a difference, but boy, I was sure fighting it at the beginning. Now, I love it and still do.

They want to redo sleep study when I hit goal weight so see if I still need it. It is kind of like my security blankie at night, so we will see how that goes and if I can stand to lose it.
  • krissymae88
    edited January 2016
    gdnplnty wrote: »

I am a side sleeper as well, and the tech stated that I needed to modify my pillow a bit to help with sleeping with the mask on. Basically, take a generic pillow, one you don't mind putting duct tape on because it isn't coming off of there. Take it and put duct tape around the middle of the pillow, making it indent on the sides of. So instead of a rectangle, it made a triangle thingie on the sides. Wrap the tape around a few times, basically making a way for you to sleep on your side and a way for the mask to nestle in that indention. Put two pillowcases on it and you are good to go. What you are making is a CPAP pillow without paying the huge prices for it. That helped a lot with sleeping on my side and not having leaking because of it.

Wow, that's a great idea. I wish I would have tried that! I talked to my nurse, who is going to ask the surgeon if they are going to require me to have the CPAP...I'm assuming they will.

I hear such good things about the difference it makes, but I never got that far with it. Maybe if I could have lasted a whole night with it on I would have seen that it is worth it.

I don't know if I can get the machine back from insurance. I might need to buy one on my own. Which will be a hit to the wallet, but if its what I have to do to get surgery I'll do it, that's for sure.
  • jenean52
    jenean52 Posts: 80 Member
    It took me several months to get use to my bipap machine, and another several months to feel better. A lot of mind over matter to make myself wear it. Now 6 months after starting I can honestly say I am feeling more rested when I wake up.
  • TheJazzSyndicate
    TheJazzSyndicate Posts: 11 Member
    Side/stomach sleeper here using a nasal mask for 8 years. My machine is a dinosaur, its from 2007 and has state of the srt (for 2007) "cflex technology" which means the pressure drops to just about 0 when I exhale. This way I can breathe more naturally. I guess this makes it technically a BiPAP? Im sure all machines have that now, along with 55" screens, wireless programing by your ENT, leather, a moonroof, 6 speakers... ummm... sorry off topic...

Either way, the right mask is equally important. I've tried different ones, but always came back to this One by Philips Respironics. In fact, both my Dad and I use this mask. We are both side/stomach sleepers with similar builds. Here's the mask: http://www.cpap.com/productpage/respironics-comfortgel-nasal-cpap-mask-headgear.html

I actually dont like the fit of the standard headgear that comes with the mask. I get this as well so my mask "fits like a glove" http://www.cpap.com/productpage/deluxe-headgear-respironics.html CPAP.com is a great site with tons of useful information which helped me pick a mask/machine combo i felt besr for me.

Funny thing is Mom is a slide/ stomach sleeper with CPAP as well. She doesnt like the nasal mask, only uses the nostril thingy. Why does mom always have to be so difficult? Hehehe - Love you Mom!

Im hoping that since Ive lost a good deal of weight post surgery i can get rid of the darn machine soon. My blood pressure has normalized and my CPAP setting has dropped from 13 to 8.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    I actually slept really well the first night I had my CPAP (actually, the sleep test was a good night - dreamed for the first time could recall in tears - my apnea was pretty severe). That was 2006, and I hadn't been able to even nap without the machine. Since my WLS and weight loss, they've cut my pressure twice, from 20 to 10 now and I routinely sleep without the CPAP (e.g. I don't travel with it anymore). Will have a sleep test soon, not sure it's 100% resolved, but I think my remaining "attachment" is more psychological than physical
  • krissymae88
    Thanks everyone for the support and the tips! I'm currently in the process of getting a new prescription for the CPAP and will hopefully have one back in the next few weeks. I'll definitely keep in mind all the great links and advice everyone gave :)