Weight up, body fat down

2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    sblueyez wrote: »
    I log my food in MFP. I'll use today as an example...

I try to keep around 1400 calories per day but today I ate 1690. I burned 500 working out (toning class and a treadmill walk after) So essentially I ate back some of my exercise calories but not all of them. On days where I don't exercise I don't eat as much.

Coincidentally I have been very hungry for the past few days and I'm wondering if that's my body putting up a fight trying to avoid letting go of some fat, or if I actually do need to eat more.

I don't do low carb but since I'm not a marathon runner I'm not intaking a ton of them either. I don't fee that great when I overdo it on carbs so that's the main reason for limiting them. I think I definitely need to pay more attention to where the calories are coming from and eat cleaner.

Thank you so much!!

I agree with all the excellent advice in the thread and think your new fitness routine is great and long may you keep it up

But you have to fix your food intake because I would almost guarantee at this stage you are underestimating your food consumption and eating over your TDEE whatever numbers you think you are reaching

Get a digital scale, weigh everything including oils. Get ferocious on your logging

Double check every entry against pack, usda database, calorie websites before using for the first few months ( might help to delete all frequent / recent foods before you start if that function works) so you can build up your favourites and recents with accurate entries

Don't overestimate your calorie burns ..if you are eating them back which you should following MFP ...a "toning" class would be 200 - 300 max (whatever it is ..yoga / weights?) walking on a treadmill would take about 30 minutes at some intensity to hit 2-300 ...if you are logging by MFP database half the amount

You need to fuel your exercise so either follow a cut from TDEE (accurate TDEE) or follow MFP and eat back half of exercise calories.

Hunger goes in waves IME as can weight loss ...there can be a lot of scale weight loss masked in monthly cycles, carb/sodium and change up in exercise

The is no need to do low carb ..ever ...unless you wish to

Weigh yourself at home, when you get up, after you use the bathroom, before you eat or drink anything and nekkid to get a somewhat consistent set of weights

Ignore the fat reading ...I would find it doubtful ....if really interested invest in a dexa scan ....if vaguely interested just jump up and down naked in front of a mirror ..if it jiggles and isn't boobs or genitals, it's fat :)

Hth
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    I log my food in MFP. I'll use today as an example...

I try to keep around 1400 calories per day but today I ate 1690. I burned 500 working out (toning class and a treadmill walk after) So essentially I ate back some of my exercise calories but not all of them. On days where I don't exercise I don't eat as much.

Coincidentally I have been very hungry for the past few days and I'm wondering if that's my body putting up a fight trying to avoid letting go of some fat, or if I actually do need to eat more.

I don't do low carb but since I'm not a marathon runner I'm not intaking a ton of them either. I don't fee that great when I overdo it on carbs so that's the main reason for limiting them. I think I definitely need to pay more attention to where the calories are coming from and eat cleaner.

Thank you so much!!

Your logging is very very off. You do not gain 10 lbs by being in a deficit, you are eating probably double what you think you are eating.
    Your training apparently works, as in, it makes you stronger. But, you are eating way more than you think, so weight loss is not going to happen until you change this.
  • heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    Lots of great advice here, now I need to go buy a digital scale. :) I'd like to add to make sure you're eating enough protein since you're lifting weights. The only other thing I'd add is to read up on how the menstrual cycle effects food cravings and calorie needs-in particular women burn more calories during the luteal phase. Good luck!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Lots of good advice here. I recommend a digital scale as well. You can log an apple into MFP, and it tells you its 80 calories. You cut out the middle and weight it, you have 125 calories. So if a lot of food items are off by 30-40 calories, you can be way over your daily goal bc of the inaccuracy.
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    I didn't realize how innaccurate the MFP data was. Is it just because so many people input what they think an apple is? It is difficult for me to log foods because I don't eat a lot of stuff with a label to scan so I have to go in and log ingredients individually. There's a lot of room for error that way. I do have a food scale and I'm not afraid to use my measuring cups and spoons.

I'm not the biggest fan of eating protein but I try to eat 110g.

For calories burned I use a MyZone HRM and an Apple Watch. Not that I'm crazy and like to double check but I just usually have my watch on and then when I work out I put on the HRM. I believe the calories burned are correct because the two are nearly the same each time. I'm like 45lbs over weight so that why I put up such high numbers. A healthy weight person probably would only burn 300.

Lol. I don't need to jump up and down to see the jiggle, it just happens when I walk haha

In all I think I'll continue my endeavors at the gym because even if I don't lose weight I'm still healthier and stronger than I was when I was just sitting on the couch. I'll be paying better attention to my diet as well. Thank you all for the input!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited January 2016
    ...In all I think I'll continue my endeavors at the gym because even if I don't lose weight I'm still healthier and stronger than I was when I was just sitting on the couch. I'll be paying better attention to my diet as well. Thank you all for the input!

You've got the winning combination right there. Once you get the calorie intake dialed in, you'll see the weight/inches start dropping.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I didn't realize how innaccurate the MFP data was. Is it just because so many people input what they think an apple is? It is difficult for me to log foods because I don't eat a lot of stuff with a label to scan so I have to go in and log ingredients individually. There's a lot of room for error that way. I do have a food scale and I'm not afraid to use my measuring cups and spoons.

For calories burned I use a MyZone HRM and an Apple Watch. Not that I'm crazy and like to double check but I just usually have my watch on and then when I work out I put on the HRM. I believe the calories burned are correct because the two are nearly the same each time. I'm like 45lbs over weight so that why I put up such high numbers. A healthy weight person probably would only burn 300.

Lol. I don't need to jump up and down to see the jiggle, it just happens when I walk haha

In all I think I'll continue my endeavors at the gym because even if I don't lose weight I'm still healthier and stronger than I was when I was just sitting on the couch. I'll be paying better attention to my diet as well. Thank you all for the input!

That's all win :)

I would suggest chucking out the measuring spoons and cups though and just weighing

Hang on ...there's a clip
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member

MFP data, assuming you got the right entry, is not inaccurate. You do need to make sure you are getting the right entry though as for some foods there are regional differences that add up quickly. Generic entries or home-made entries should be avoided as you don't know what they are based on. The big issue I often encounter is not the entries, but how the user measures what they input. Estimating, using volume measures like measuring cups and spoons for anything but liquids, and things like that will result in major user errors on amounts. That is why a digital kitchen scale for all solids and things like nut butters, grated cheese and the like is absolutely necessary.
  • vargvms
    vargvms Posts: 1 Member
    Yes, I've become much stronger. I went from barely being able to squat to a 35lb goblet squat. I started at 20lbs for tricep pull downs and now max out at 60. I couldn't do a kettle bell swing with rotation at all without cramping and now I can. I also wasn't able to even do glute bridges.

I think it would help you help me to keep in mind that I was severely atrophied. For example, one day I picked up my computer bag and separated my shoulder. I'm pretty sure I was a sack of bones and fat.

Now I see my butt lifting, my hamstrings have showed up and I'm seeing definition in my biceps. I haven't lost any inches in my hips but the shape is different. Weird right?

I'm not without challenges and still have a lot of room to grow technique and ability-wise but I've really accomplished a lot here and I'm just wondering if I have hope of slimming out eventually. I would much rather be strong and a larger size than slim and weak but a little change in size or scale wouldn't make me feel terrible, you know?

Thanks for all of the input!

I am really no expert but if you want to be slimmer maybe try out yoga now that you got your strength back.