How to say no?

13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    sc0rpi0gal wrote: »
    People always look incredulous when I turn down junk food. They ALWAYS follow up with "But its only 1, 1 won't hurt you, just have 1 blah blah blah" I get so p**sed off. (It's the hangry in me) But I don't want to eat something just for the sake of it because it's being passed around. PLUS I do eat junk food. I just choose when and where.

Exactly. I have no issue passing on the cookies that don't even look that good so I can have a piece of delicious chocolate at home later.. You have to decide what's worth it and what isn't. I love a good cupcake but if I'm not particularly craving a cupcake and someone offers one to me, I'll save those calories on something I want more, for example.
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Just say "no thank you" and move on. You are not obligated to explain.

This right here.
  • sarawilson1986
    sarawilson1986 Posts: 7 Member
    Just say 'no thank you', so long as you're polite about it, it's fine! :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    jmh_90 wrote: »
    I have been good with my diet for the past months. I am trying to have a clean diet with whole food. But I noticed that every time I "cheat" it is because someone has offered me something to eat (a cookie, a piece of chocolate, chips, etc). The thing is that I have issues with saying "no". I feel bad refusing and of course who wouldn't disagree if someone gives you free food? How do you deal with that?

Say no thanks if you don't want it. People are not going to be destroyed if you politely decline food.

A totally "clean" whole foods diet may not be a sustainable diet for you. Think about if you can give up these foods for life. If you can't imagine no cookies, chocolate, chips, etc ever then you should just incorporate them into your regular diet occasionally and not view it as cheating. Eat a mostly whole foods diet instead.

None of these foods are ultra-rare expensive foods right? You can get them pretty much whenever you want if you want them. Remind yourself of that.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    You can say "no, I'm trying to be good!" or something like that. But if they are especially bringing it to you with a big, proud smile on their face then take it. Be excited and thankful. Then pass it off to someone else when they're not around. ;)
  • samsonalexandra
    samsonalexandra Posts: 1 Member
    I think you should decide what is more important to you: to keep fit or to make people pleased. Actually if it was my best friend, I would try to explain why I can't take this food. And if it was a person that I appreciate a lot, I would take the treats and then give it to my friends or relatives. Good luck :)
  • heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    I'm going to college and this often occurs in the student lounge among my group of friends. It is difficult, but learning to say no is important. Also, if you bring a healthy sugary snack (i.e. bananas, apples) you can say "no, thankyou, I have bananas.. would you like one?" ;) works well for me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Say no thanks it doesn't fit in my eating plan. Works for anyone except a young child.

If they don't respect that don't need the person in your life
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Never eat to be polite or because there is food to be eaten. Eat to meet your goals. Eat for yourself, no one else.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    I have two methods here. It depends on my mood, how patient I'm feeling, how much I like the person offering me food. I always say no thanks, and usually, that's enough. However, if the person feels the need to push, ask why I'm not eating the food, or insist- either, I'm already at the end of the line, and because it is none of their business, I just say no, and let them know that it's not happening, and I'm not obligated to explain myself.

OR If I just say (if asked ) "I am trying to be very deliberate about what I put in my body" - this usually makes sense to people and they respect it. It's different from saying "I'm trying to lose weight" which is more personal and also presumes that one can't lose weight if they eat a cookie (you can!!)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Just practice saying "No thank you". The more often you assert yourself the more confident you get. I don't yet have MY confidence back as far as saying no, I'm still feeling weak and vulnerable to temptation but I remember before being able to say "No thank you" to cake at a birthday party and crying tears of joy that night. I want to feel that again soon, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    If I want it, I eat it and log it. If I don't want it, I say "no thank you", or save it until I have room. I do not care if it's clean or not because my diet is balanced.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Just say "no thank you", most people will be fine. If they still insist and you feel uncomfortable, just leave it on the side, when they see it hasn't been eaten they won't insist again!
  • deege76
    deege76 Posts: 43 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Just say "no thank you" and move on. You are not obligated to explain.
    . usually you are thinking more into it then they are. They will survive your 'no'. Besides anyone that truly knows you and cares will either not offer or understand

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Shift your outlook: They are offering you calories that don't fit with your plan.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    When you know those foods won't fit into your daily calories, don't worry about what they might think. Just politely say

latest?cb=20140906052122

But if you know you can work the offered food into your day then go ahead and say

3436738205_39906_Grumpy_Cat_Tard_YES_zYKy_answer_1_xlarge.png

:)