When your bored at work and there's a big bowl of chocolates just waiting to be eaten....

What do you do to keep yourself from the temptation? I fail everyday! :s My jobs always have goodies around. I want to stop grabbing but it's so hard when I start getting hungry and 5pm is not coming anytime soon.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Bring your own snacks and beverages, so you do not feel tempted to eat everything that is available.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    I have to pack myself quite a bit of food each day. Most day it is hard to zip my lunch bag haha but I keep good snacks and most days I have leftovers but I know I won't go hungry. I keep fruit like apples and pears and veggies like celery and carrots. Then I also put motivational sayings at my desk and on a calendar pop-up -- they remind me why I really don't want to eat that junk. It gets easier with time.
  • __Wolf__
    __Wolf__ Posts: 137 Member
    There is no secret technique to avoiding them. However, the key to health is having a sense of mindfulness of what you're putting in your body and accountability for its impact on our bodies.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Let it sit untouched by me. No need for the calories that go with it
  • Dyana1109
    Dyana1109 Posts: 19 Member
    cessi0909 wrote: »
    I have to pack myself quite a bit of food each day. Most day it is hard to zip my lunch bag haha but I keep good snacks and most days I have leftovers but I know I won't go hungry. I keep fruit like apples and pears and veggies like celery and carrots. Then I also put motivational sayings at my desk and on a calendar pop-up -- they remind me why I really don't want to eat that junk. It gets easier with time.

I really like this! I'm going to set that up at work to keep my motivation going!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I do my job instead of eating. Lol !

In all seriousness, I bring my own snacks and keep my goals in mind ! I keep oranges, apples, and granola or trail mix with me in my lunch bag and fit the snacks into my preplanned day. Honestly, snacks from home usually taste better then cheap office candy anyway. I'd rather spend my calories on a delicious chocolate rather then the typical break room goodies anyway!
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Do you have to sit close to where you can see the bowl? It's less tempting if you don't see it :wink: Also bringing your own food and drinking lots of water before, after and between meals helps.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    I have a box of Clif bars (oatmeal raisin walnut is one of my favorites) in my desk drawer. A bar always fills the bill, if it's when I forget my breakfast or have the late afternoon munchies.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    My experience is that it is easier to say "no" to the first piece than the second piece. Like others, I bring my own snacks. I also have found that adequate (for me) protein and fat in my meals really lessens the force of any temptation to eat stuff I don't have calorie room for.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    I had the same issue at my job. I decided to start a wellness & fitness committee. I pushed for healthier snacks in the break room. Although, we still have chocolates/cookies, etc. there are many healthy options available as well. Talk to your boss.
  • AliMalek21
    AliMalek21 Posts: 51 Member
    Eat them and burn in them in the gym :)
  • gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Eat them!! Just make sure you've planned ahead and made room for them within your Calorie goal
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    I find it's generally easier to not have any at all rather than limiting to one or two, so I tend to stay well away from them. It is tempting though! If I am tempted I look at the nutritional info first, then usually back away quickly! If I need to buy treats for my team I now split it and get half chocolate and half nice fruit, which always goes down well. Maybe you could suggest that?
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    If there was a bowl of dog biscuits, would you eat them? If someone left their lunch bag on the counter, would you eat their lunch? Just because there's "food" in sight, it doesn't mean it's meant for you. Think of the chocolates as "not mine" and you'll be less tempted.
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    maxit wrote: »
    My experience is that it is easier to say "no" to the first piece than the second piece. Like others, I bring my own snacks. I also have found that adequate (for me) protein and fat in my meals really lessens the force of any temptation to eat stuff I don't have calorie room for.

This is it for me! I'm better off having nothing. I bring my own treats. Usually have a few squares of chocolate. Enough so it feels like I'm indulging, but it's safely within my calorie limit. Then I have apples/oranges etc in my bag ready. I've also done the motivational sayings ideas where they pop up - around 10.30 is when I start feeling peckish.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Take a chocolate, log it, look at how many calories you have left. Think to yourself "Is it worth eating this knowing that I have to make it till bedtime with that many calories left"

If it is - eat it

If it isn't - don't

and repeat until you get to the second option
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    I have one small piece and fit it into my calories if I really want the chocolate. Typically I walk with my own snacks which is usually greek yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, string cheese or hard boiled egg. I almost always have a can of tuna, oatmeal with cinnamon and protein powder stash in my drawer.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Personally I would eat them, having planned for a number of calories to be used this way in my day but ... I'm getting the feeling you would rather not so may I instead suggest:

1) Tell yourself they are not yours - that they do not belong to you.
    2) Imagining there is something in them that you do not like the taste of. For example, I don't like coconut, so whenever there's cookies on offer which I want to avoid, I tell myself they have coconut in them.
    3) Worst comes to the worst, try the delay tactic. Agree that you'll let yourself have a treat but in half an hour's time. Then delay again. And again. Near the end of the day tell yourself, you can have something tomorrow morning. And so on.

Ah, these mind games we play ... ^^
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited January 2016
    I use the "if I eat it now, I won't have spare calories to eat my favourite foods later in bed" trick. Every evening after dinner I get to "spend" the rest of my calories on whatever I want to eat. It means those store-bought cookies aren't actually all that tempting, compared to my #1 favourite food waiting for me at home

Edit: That's the technique I use if i'm not actually hungry. If you're eating because you're genuinely hungry, maybe it's time to re-evaluate your meals for the day?
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Perhaps you need a more challenging job that leaves less time for considering the snacks. There is no question that some people eat out of boredom.