Any other women hate having periods

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I find it creepy that men are reading this thread, let alone commenting on it. What's with that?

I'm floored by the number of women who come in here asking questions like, "I seem to gain weight just before my period starts ... does anyone else experience this?" and "I seem to get really hungry just before my period starts ... does anyone else experience this?". It's like they've just discovered they are a woman.

I have wondered this so many times.

I have had to refrain SO MANY times from posting a snarky response to those threads. Don't females get any sort of education about what happens pre/during/post period?
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    As someone who grew up during the 1970's and 80's, I can tell you that my education was minimal. The day I started my period, a pamphlet magically appeared on my bedroom dresser. That, and the dirty things kids said on the school bus, was the extent of the education I received about my body and how it worked. It wasn't until I was an adult and chose to do a lot of reading on the subject that I truly understood how and why different things happened within my female body. I am making a conscious effort to talk openly with my sons and daughter and explain things to them. They feel very comfortable asking me intimate questions about their bodies. That makes me very happy. That being said, I mean no disrespect to my parents' lack of educating me. They grew up in a different time.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I find it creepy that men are reading this thread, let alone commenting on it. What's with that?

They have to live with us, so they better know our business.

As for the OP, I miss my period. It's convenient not having it, but also, instead of getting cranky, bloated and hangry for a week every month, I just get paranoid.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    As someone who grew up during the 1970's and 80's, I can tell you that my education was minimal. The day I started my period, a pamphlet magically appeared on my bedroom dresser. That, and the dirty things kids said on the school bus, was the extent of the education I received about my body and how it worked. It wasn't until I was an adult and chose to do a lot of reading on the subject that I truly understood how and why different things happened within my female body. I am making a conscious effort to talk openly with my sons and daughter and explain things to them. They feel very comfortable asking me intimate questions about their bodies. That makes me very happy. That being said, I mean no disrespect to my parents' lack of educating me. They grew up in a different time.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's as well, but I distinctly remember learning about this stuff in 5th grade. The boys were separated from the girls, of course.

Good for you that you are educating your kids about this kind of stuff. I think it is so important, not just to know how our bodies work, but also about the dangers of STD's, unplanned/unwanted pregnancy, etc. There are so many "urban legends" out there....
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    I can highly recommend the Mirena IUD. No more periods, very effective birth control, free under Obamacare (I paid ~700$ for mine, pre-Obamacare, and it was worth every penny!).

Not having a period is the best thing ever. Well maybe not being pregnant is the best thing ever, with no periods in 2nd.

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member

I grew up in the 70's and 80's as well, but I distinctly remember learning about this stuff in 5th grade. The boys were separated from the girls, of course.

Good for you that you are educating your kids about this kind of stuff. I think it is so important, not just to know how our bodies work, but also about the dangers of STD's, unplanned/unwanted pregnancy, etc. There are so many "urban legends" out there....

Our differing experiences could be attributed to geography. I grew up in a rural town in the Bible belt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

What states are you two from? I grew up in Massachusetts and we had Health Ed in the 70s. Boys were in the class.

My mother also got me Our Bodies, Ourselves.

As an adult, I found Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom quite useful. This is available in my library system, so maybe in that of anyone interested in checking it out as well.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited January 2016

Why? It is a natural thing that happens to our bodies. Men have every right to read and comment and some can offer a lot of information on the subject.

Just don't let her find out that a lot of OB/GYNs are men.

ETA: Should have read one more post...
  • Periods are a giant headache to me. I made the mistake of going on the Depo shot and it made me spot for months at a time and made sex pretty awkward. I went off it and (looking back, very stupidly) got the arm implant birth control which also made me spot for months on end. I got prescribed a mini pill to control the bleeding which helped but wreaked havoc on my anxiety, depression, weight, and 1000 other things. Fast forward today I'm still on the implant and I quit the mini pill a few weeks ago. I've completely stopped bleeding but will probably start up again.

Yay the joys of modern science and womanhood!
  • hlnebel
    hlnebel Posts: 71 Member
    Periods are a giant headache to me. I made the mistake of going on the Depo shot and it made me spot for months at a time and made sex pretty awkward. I went off it and (looking back, very stupidly) got the arm implant birth control which also made me spot for months on end. I got prescribed a mini pill to control the bleeding which helped but wreaked havoc on my anxiety, depression, weight, and 1000 other things. Fast forward today I'm still on the implant and I quit the mini pill a few weeks ago. I've completely stopped bleeding but will probably start up again.

Yay the joys of modern science and womanhood!

Ugh. The mini pill. Worst decision ever. I was bleeding about 75% of the time I was on that pill. Miserable.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What states are you two from? I grew up in Massachusetts and we had Health Ed in the 70s. Boys were in the class.

My mother also got me Our Bodies, Ourselves.

As an adult, I found Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom quite useful. This is available in my library system, so maybe in that of anyone interested in checking it out as well.

I grew up in Ohio, outside of Cleveland. I can definitely understand where a rural area in the Bible Belt would have a completely different approach.

A month or two ago, I was reading an AskReddit thread that had to do with what the saddest cases nurses/physicians had seen come into their ERs. It was downright SCARY how many said that it was girls who had no clue what a monthly period was and were hysterical because of the bleeding. Some had actually been told that they had sinned and it was God's way of punishing them.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    You mean my monthly reminder that my birth control is working and that I can probably have kids one day? I love it. I'll deal with what comes with it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member

Yep, me too ... and I was in Grade 5 in the 70s ... in Canada. They separated us boys in one class, girls in the other and we had several classes. I can't remember how many but maybe 2 or 3 or more. We watched sort of cheesy movies, got a bundle of pamphlets, there were anatomy charts, etc. etc.

But my mother (a nurse) had already started explaining things to me when I was probably about 6 or 7 years old.

• fitdeer
    fitdeer Posts: 5 Member
    You could get a nexplanon implant! It's a little plastic stick they insert in your arm, it protects you from pregnancy for 3 years, and most women end up not having their period anymore. I've only had mine for a short time, so I can't report if my period is gone entirely, but I can tell you that it sounds scary and painful to have done, but it is a breeze and doesn't hurt at all.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    I don't necessarily hate it. But a few days ago I was insanely hungry. Ate all my regular meals and was still going bonkers. I wanted cookies SO BADLY. Eventually I just gave in, two days in a row I was over in calories. I was mad and disappointed in myself.

Then ba-bam, period came five days earlier than expected. I was so relieved that was the reason for my appetite and cravings.
  • nikseptember
    nikseptember Posts: 14 Member
    It's like being nauseous and starving at the same time. Periods still gross me out even though it's been 4 1/2 years! I don't even have a problem with blood, this is just different.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    I don't know a single person who doesn't hate it. I know women who use medication to avoid it. I know women who can't wait until menopause. Perhaps some women welcome it just for the reassurance that they are not pregnant, but the relief is gone by the second trip to the bathroom.

Put me in the can't wait for menopause category.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Ha! Menopause is just a different sort of carnival ride, hon...
    But yes, I don't sit up nights missing my period. All that money you think you're going to save not buying birth control, tampons and pads? It's all going to go toward fancy lubes. Word.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2016
    Just lucky here - most of my adult life I've been an 'every 3 months' girl naturally with nothing else 'amiss'. But I still hate it when I get it - inconvenience - glad I should be done with it soon. Never have wanted children anyhow, so I could care less if I am able to have periods (except for the fact that it means my hormones are 'in balance'). I think all women should get a hysterectomy at age 12, lol (being facetious here).
  • EleanorLynn1989
    EleanorLynn1989 Posts: 130 Member
    I am making a conscious effort to talk openly with my sons and daughter and explain things to them.

I'm glad there are people doing that. I got in trouble for saying the word tampon when my 8 year old nieces were in the same room when I said it. I was only a couple years older than that, 10, when they were separating the boys and girls for the day at school to explain to us about our bodies. But then I got my first period at diabetic camp when I was 12 and I was so confused and just bled the entire time I was there because I was too embarrassed and ashamed to talk about it, and I also couldn't even talk to anyone about it when I got home because I didn't have anyone I could trust and talk to. Luckily a girl at camp saw it and she helped me out, and the next summer the same thing happened. If I had someone in my life I could trust and talk to about things it would've made it so much easier, because it also happened at school and I'd get scared. I vowed to never shield my kids from things like that because I don't want them growing up as confused, awkward, embarrassed, and ashamed as I did just because I couldn't talk about things.