Recovering from a massive cheat weekend.

Okay soooo, plain and simple, I had two massive cheat days this weekend. Pizza, cake, bacon, and everything that I basically haven't been eating for a couple of months. I gained 9lbs in 2 days, no joke.
It kinda feels like the end of the world right now. How do I recover from this? A *kitten* ton of water? Fast for a day?
Help.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    No, don't fast. If possible, log it to keep yourself accountable. Then move on. Fasting is not going to help you form healthy habits.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    First, relax. It's probably water weight from extra sodium. Considering one pound is 3500 calories, there's really no possible way you ate more than 32,000 calories in 2 days. Drink water, eat your minimum healthy calories, and you'll be fine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Get back on plan, drink some water, understand that this will happen sometimes.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    There's nothing to 'recover' from.

Just carry on as normal.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    1) Try incorporating the things you haven't eaten in months into calorie goals.
    2) You ate a lot of sodium and gained a lot of water weight. At most, you could have gained a pound or two. Give it a week or two to see if you've gained actual weight.
    3) Eat when you're hungry. Sometimes, you'll just eat more and that's okay. What matters is what you do for the majority of the year.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    crb426 wrote: »
    First, relax. It's probably water weight from extra sodium. Considering one pound is 3500 calories, there's really no possible way you ate more than 32,000 calories in 2 days. Drink water, eat your minimum healthy calories, and you'll be fine.

This. Don't panic, just put it down as experience and work on having an amazing week to make up for it. It happens to everyone, it is totally fixable!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Yep, probably mostly water retention. Just go back on plan.

I've cheated this weekend...we have guests from out of state.

So far one trip to a bar, and a trip to a board game place with pizza. They also ate a few other places; as in eating out for every meal. They are at a bar right now that has awesome sausage and assorted fried objects. I've just declined to go with them for everything. Likely I will have some oil popped popcorn tonight.

Then back to normal.
  • Moriarek
    Moriarek Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2016
    Don't worry, it's just water. When I fall off the wagon - stop exercising and eat more (because of work, family, etc.) I gain 6-7 lbs for first week, but my metabolism is still so "hot" that I keep loosing weight for few next weeks, even if I'm like 500 kcal above the limit!

Like everything connected to our bodies - it's all in our heads! :smile:
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    cityruss wrote: »

Just carry on as normal.

Lmao but I ate like 12,000 calories! So bloated. Never again.
  • Leanqueen01
    Leanqueen01 Posts: 43 Member
    edited January 2016
    This is exactly how my weekend went! Although my Friday was off plan too as it was my birthday! Feel so bloated right now but i regret nothing
  • Leanqueen01
    Leanqueen01 Posts: 43 Member
    edited January 2016
    This is exactly how my weekend went! Although my Friday was off plan too as it was my birthday! Feel so bloated right now but i regret nothing! Saying that i can't wait to get back into a normal routine tomorrow! My tip is to plan the next few days in advance if you dont do already, ive just planned the entire week & its helping me feel like im already un-doing the damage of the weekend
  • Moriarek
    Moriarek Posts: 14 Member

Just carry on as normal.

You worry to much. There is an old polish saying: "Everything is for people. In MODERATION". As long as it's not your everyday habit it won't affect you in the long run in any way. Besides it'll keep your metabolism running, so in few days you won't even notice :smile:
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member

Just carry on as normal.

Well you won't have gained 9lbs of actual weight from that, so chill. Put it down to experience and continue as normal.
  • Test_Ryder
    Test_Ryder Posts: 231 Member
    Moriarek wrote: »

Just carry on as normal.

You worry to much. There is an old polish saying: "Everything is for people. In MODERATION". As long as it's not your everyday habit it won't affect you in the long run in any way. Besides it'll keep your metabolism running, so in few days you won't even notice :smile:

^^This. Without a doubt its 90% water weight the absolute worst thing you can do it beat yourself up about it and do anything extreme (trust me I've learned the hard way). Simply regroup, *kitten* why you did what you did and forget about it meaning eat like how you NORMALLY would tomorrow hhowever if you feel to up the exercise then do.
  • lisaipri
    lisaipri Posts: 9 Member
    I went on a cruise the end of July and had gained 6 lbs in one week. Two weeks later, I had lost it all, give yourself time and it will be gone before you know it!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    tomorrow is a new day.

no need to worry about it.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Warning: feeling cranky. So many people here like to say they can cheat, eat what they want, have fun, not give up anything. Then when they see the results, such as this, there is panic and stress. Yes, everyone can make whatever choices they want and newbies need to learn. But I get tired of reading the fallout. That's why I prefer to eat in moderation at all times, pass up certain foods, and adopt habits that will serve me well long term. Bingeing and massive overeating do not merge those criertia. If they meet yours, fine. Rant off.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Warning: feeling cranky. So many people here like to say they can cheat, eat what they want, have fun, not give up anything. Then when they see the results, such as this, there is panic and stress. Yes, everyone can make whatever choices they want and newbies need to learn. But I get tired of reading the fallout. That's why I prefer to eat in moderation at all times, pass up certain foods, and adopt habits that will serve me well long term. Bingeing and massive overeating do not merge those criertia. If they meet yours, fine. Rant off.

I don't understand this. I eat what I want and didn't give up anything (except drink calories). But that doesn't mean I stuff my face with all of it in a week end either. I do it in moderation and not all at the same time... So I don't see what 'fallout' you're talking about because it's definitely possible to eat what you want in moderation without gaining 9 pounds (or even 1).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016

You realize when people say they "eat what they want" and don't "give up anything," they aren't recommending two days of eating unlimited quantities of whatever they want, right? You can include the foods you like in your diet without eating them in unlimited quantities.

OP was following your plan: trying to totally eliminating certain foods (notice she hadn't had them for months). Maybe that is what caused the issue. Not saying that it can't work for certain people. But maybe if she'd allowed herself a slice of cake sometimes, she wouldn't have to worry about binges.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

I don't understand this. I eat what I want and didn't give up anything (except drink calories). But that doesn't mean I stuff my face with all of it in a week end either. I do it in moderation and not all at the same time... So I don't see what 'fallout' you're talking about because it's definitely possible to eat what you want in moderation without gaining 9 pounds (or even 1).

yup. ive lost 70 eating exactly what i want.

i must be doing it wrong ;)