Do you eat junk? why or why not?

Replies

• jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Sure do. I make room for treats daily - it helps me stay on track. For example, tonight for dessert I'm having peanut butter m&m's and reeses pieces. Oh, and a glass of wine with dinner. I'm also making sure to get a workout in today. All in moderation!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    If it fits and I like it, I eat it. Or drink it. Nothing is off limits. I can't give up things I love forever, so I learned to incorportate them into my healthy food. Because this IS forever.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    For junk food, I like to buy vegan and gluten-free treats. They usually use better ingredients.

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I eat as much junk food as I can stand. It prepares my body to withstand the junk science I come across from time to time on MFP.

Liar

You just don't understand how much the junk food helps when it is that time of the month that it seems like every one is posting woo.

I GUESS you can eat all junk, look at the Twinkie diet. But then you'd be void of essentially vitamins and minerals as a result.

What if I took a multivitamin?

I think research has shown that taking multivitamins isn't enough.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1789253

From the study:

With respect to multivitamins, the studies published in this issue and previous trials indicate no substantial health benefit. This evidence, combined with biological considerations, suggests that any effect, either beneficial or harmful, is probably small. As we learned from voluminous trial data on vitamin E, however, clinical trials are not well-suited to identify very small effects, and future trials of multivitamins for chronic disease prevention in well-nourished populations are likely to be futile.

In conclusion, β-carotene, vitamin E, and possibly high doses of vitamin A supplements are harmful. Other antioxidants, folic acid and B vitamins, and multivitamin and mineral supplements are ineffective for preventing mortality or morbidity due to major chronic diseases. Although available evidence does not rule out small benefits or harms or large benefits or harms in a small subgroup of the population, we believe that the case is closed— supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults with (most) mineral or vitamin supplements has no clear benefit and might even be harmful. These vitamins should not be used for chronic disease prevention. Enough is enough.

Take that as you will, if you want to or dont want to take a vitamin makes no difference to me.

Prenatals are different because the lack of folic acid can cause spina bifida.

But that's about supplements for "well-nourished adults." We're specifically talking about people who don't eat a balanced diet.

Does the multivitamin provide adequate micronutrients in those situations? I thought I had read that bioavailability/absorption from some of the micros in multivitamins was poor despite providing the required micronutrients on paper. But that was a while back and it well could have been some cherry picking/exaggeration of the data from studies or inconsequential.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    For junk food, I like to buy vegan and gluten-free treats. They usually use better ingredients.

I buy vegan baked goods, because I am sadly allergic to eggs and have been my whole life. Although Oreos are vegan and those aren't any healthier than regular chocolate chip cookies.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I dont really eat it no, because I never crave it. Besides, its very tough to fit in without having to go hungry parts of the day (and I'm maintaining.) If there's something I really want tho, it will be eaten lol
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    I eat as much junk food as I can stand. It prepares my body to withstand the junk science I come across from time to time on MFP.

Liar

You just don't understand how much the junk food helps when it is that time of the month that it seems like every one is posting woo.

I GUESS you can eat all junk, look at the Twinkie diet. But then you'd be void of essentially vitamins and minerals as a result.

From the study:

With respect to multivitamins, the studies published in this issue and previous trials indicate no substantial health benefit. This evidence, combined with biological considerations, suggests that any effect, either beneficial or harmful, is probably small. As we learned from voluminous trial data on vitamin E, however, clinical trials are not well-suited to identify very small effects, and future trials of multivitamins for chronic disease prevention in well-nourished populations are likely to be futile.

In conclusion, β-carotene, vitamin E, and possibly high doses of vitamin A supplements are harmful. Other antioxidants, folic acid and B vitamins, and multivitamin and mineral supplements are ineffective for preventing mortality or morbidity due to major chronic diseases. Although available evidence does not rule out small benefits or harms or large benefits or harms in a small subgroup of the population, we believe that the case is closed— supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults with (most) mineral or vitamin supplements has no clear benefit and might even be harmful. These vitamins should not be used for chronic disease prevention. Enough is enough.

Take that as you will, if you want to or dont want to take a vitamin makes no difference to me.

But that's about supplements for "well-nourished adults." We're specifically talking about people who don't eat a balanced diet.

Does the multivitamin provide adequate micronutrients in those situations? I thought I had read that bioavailability/absorption from some of the micros in multivitamins was poor despite providing the required micronutrients on paper. But that was a while back and it well could have been some cherry picking/exaggeration of the data from studies or inconsequential.

That was my impression as well.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    My main meals of the day are not what I'd call junk. I try to create meals that are filling/satisfying, help me feel good, perform well and fit my calories/macros. They usually turn out alright, and I aim for sufficient fruit/veg.

My snacks can sometimes be junk. I'm currently working my way through the last of the massive christmas biscuit selection we had, usually 2-3 a day. Sometimes I bring things like a packet of crisps to work. I try to limit it to about that amount, but that's mostly because if I don't, I won't get my protein/fruit/veg etc target without going over calories. So I balance it out and make it fit. I see no harm in that.

Note that I don't just count anything that's not "clean" or low calorie, as junk. I have a variety of foods and only really count something as junk if it brings little to none nutritional value to the table.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member

Liar

From the study:

It's quite possible. I know nutrient-nutrient interaction can also affect the absorption rate. I'll start digging to see what I can find.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    Its not worth the calories to me to be honest.
    How many calories is a donut? 280-300? I can have egg whites with veggies and cheese and a side of fruit with those calories and it fills me tenfold.
    And as a sweet treat I just have some hot chocolate or some coffee with a biscotti. I dont know, cutting the junk cold turkey was really easy for me.

A Krispy Kreme original glazed donut is 190 calories.

I'd rather have something is more substantial and will keep me full for longer.

On my long run days when I'm trying to eat 3500-4000 calories in a day, I'd rather have something tastier and that doesn't fill me as much for some of my calories. I'm also eating plenty of fruit and veggies that day, but those days I also need a bunch of extra calories.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    How many calories is a donut? 280-300? I can have egg whites with veggies and cheese and a side of fruit with those calories and it fills me tenfold.
    And as a sweet treat I just have some hot chocolate or some coffee with a biscotti. I dont know, cutting the junk cold turkey was really easy for me.

A Krispy Kreme original glazed donut is 190 calories.

I'd rather have something is more substantial and will keep me full for longer.

On my long run days when I'm trying to eat 3500-4000 calories in a day, I'd rather have something tastier and that doesn't fill me as much for some of my calories. I'm also eating plenty of fruit and veggies that day, but those days I also need a bunch of extra calories.

Yep. Trying to eat 3500 calories of veggies, fruits, and lean proteins can be quite uncomfortable.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Liar

From the study:

It depends on the form the nutrient is in. Some forms in poor multi-vitamins and minerals have 0 bioavailability.

On the flip side, some synthetic versions of nutrients that are found in multivitmains are more bio-available than any natural version of it, such as Folic Acid. Various Folic Acid supplements on an empty stomach are nearly 100% bio-available, but folate in foods are not nearly as bio-available.
    The combinations of certain vitamins and minerals together can also lower or raise the bio-availability. Vitamin C helps iron absorption. Despite them being sold together in several supplements, magnesium competes with calcium for absorption.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    _John_ wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I don't label food as junk. All food provides energy.

I get where you're coming from, but the definition of junk food is food that is low in nutrients, like cake, cookies, etc. and typically high in calories. They don't really provide vitamins and minerals compared to fruit and veg. Maybe you don't like to label foods and that's ok. But junk food typically doesn't provide energy. At least not sustainable energy. A donut and a sweet potato certainly don't act the same.

That said, I see nothing wrong with eating things in moderation. Especially if I log it.

whole wheat, apples, bananas, coconut, and whole grain rice would also have to be examples of foods meeting the "junk" classification...

How could fruit ever meet a classification that included the phrase "compared to fruit and veg."?

apples and bananas are very nutrient poor fruits.

That's not true, nor does it answer the question.

fruits in general are nowhere in the ballpark of being as nutrient dense as vegetables. And apples and bananas are among lowest in nutrient density of the fruits americans commonly consume.

Apples: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

Bananas are a little better /100 cals, but still.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

RIght in line with wheat:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5744/2

Not being as nutrient dense as something else is not the same as being nutrient poor. And still does not address my question.

I'm showing an example of how a food generally thought to be super healthy, in reality is little better than food considered junk (say potato chips or crackers).

It puts things in perspective of our trying to draw a line between junk and not junk.

I don't think you did a very good job, but maybe it's just me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Wouldn't the hot chocolate and biscotti also fit the definition of "junk"? So you are cutting the calories from it, but not cutting it out entirely.

For me, whether it's worth it or not depends on how many calories I have. I had a toasted miga sandwich and a croissant on Saturday (both things that tend to have more calories vs. nutrients than I'd normally have for lunch), since I had tons of extra calories due to a 17+ mile run. I had beef and veg with Japanese noodles last night from a Japanese place that delivers (so that's "junk," right? delivery? high cal?), because I had reason to celebrate and haven't ordered anything for a while and could fit it in. Also, tasty.
  • lemurcat12
    With respect to how we think of food or make food decisions, I find it much more helpful to focus on getting in the foods needed for a healthful diet than what I don't eat (which tends to depend on calories available and what else I'm eating that day).

For example, I mostly eat 3 meals, don't snack, so want to meet my nutritional needs in those meals. So I try to get a decent amount of protein and a good many vegetables at each meal. Beyond that, it depends -- I might have fruit or a starch/grain or I might end up saving some calories and having cheese or something sweet immediately after.

I think it would be really easy to focus on not eating specific foods defined as "junk" and still miss out on lots of needed nutrients.
  • lemurcat12 wrote: »

Wouldn't the hot chocolate and biscotti also fit the definition of "junk"? So you are cutting the calories from it, but not cutting it out entirely.

For me, whether it's worth it or not depends on how many calories I have. I had a toasted miga sandwich and a croissant on Saturday (both things that tend to have more calories vs. nutrients than I'd normally have for lunch), since I had tons of extra calories due to a 17+ mile run. I had beef and veg with Japanese noodles last night from a Japanese place that delivers (so that's "junk," right? delivery? high cal?), because I had reason to celebrate and haven't ordered anything for a while and could fit it in. Also, tasty.

I think it depends on your definition of "junk". I don't consider what I put in bold to be junk. I consider things like potato chips, candy, sweets, cakes, cookies etc. to be junk to me. Someone else might not consider it junk but I personally do. To me "junk" = something that I would just mindlessly shovel into my face whilst watching t.v. or when I'm bored.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    If im craving it Ill eat it. Just not a lot of it. There is no reason to deprive yourself. Just leads to failure
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    I stay away from junk food as much as possible. I'm on a mission to lose excess weight and too much junk food gets me sick. I have to limit how much junk food I eat. I'll eat like two potato chips or a few crackers once in a while. If I get a sweet tooth, which isn't very often, I'll go for a peach or add some pineapple to my food. In my case I look at it like this: Do I want delicious healthy meals (low calories, descent size meal) or snacks and a crappy meal (high calories, extremely small meal)?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think it depends on your definition of "junk". I don't consider what I put in bold to be junk. I consider things like potato chips, candy, sweets, cakes, cookies etc. to be junk to me. Someone else might not consider it junk but I personally do. To me "junk" = something that I would just mindlessly shovel into my face whilst watching t.v. or when I'm bored.

I don't really either, but I get the sense sometimes that others would call anything like takeout or delivery "junk" even when it has lots of nutrients or isn't that high cal.

My own definition (and what I think is in the dictionary) is high cal and low nutrient, but then we have the issue of what's high cal (how high does it have to be?) and what's low nutrient. I tend to think of sugary cereals as junk food (I have a prejudice against all cold cereal because I dislike them and they were pushed on me as a kid, so I'm sure I'm biased), but of course cereals have tons of nutrients because so many are added. But if those count, why wouldn't taking a vitamin with a cookie, as someone else brought up (I think).

I'm not complaining about the term, but I do think it's vague and ambiguous.
  • lemurcat12
    In my case I look at it like this: Do I want delicious healthy meals (low calories, descent size meal) or snacks and a crappy meal (high calories, extremely small meal)?

That I mostly eat 3 delicious, balanced, healthy meals with not too many calories is one reason why I usually do have the calories to have some extra stuff too. Which may or may not be foods that others would consider junk (I don't usually think of homemade stuff or cheese as "junk," but it technically fits the definition).