How can I become more motivated to work out?

I want to work out, but I just don't have enough motivation. Ideas?

Replies

• pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    One thing that works for me is to go to exercise classes/the gym straight after work, before sitting down or having dinner. That way I don't have enough time to worry about being motivated or not!
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    What helped me was finding some fit friends that hold me accountable and are also sharing the same journey. That way I see them going for it and it makes me want it too! I run these groups online all the time so if you think it might help, add me and I'll get you more info :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    This may be an unpopular answer, but when you want it bad enough, you'll do it. That's not to say it doesn't take a while until it becomes a habit, but until it does, you'll just have to make it happen. We all have off days, but what's going to separate the successful from the not-so-successful is what we do when we don't have the motivation.
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Try different types of workouts. Maybe what you've been doing up to now isn't very fun! Go to different classes at the gym (even ones that sound silly or intimidating - you may enjoy them!) Try a dance class or joining a team sport. Look into a walking/running group or make a list of hikes/walks that you want to do in your area and start checking them off. Try a local spin studio or barre class. Once you find something that you like, it'll take less "motivation" to do it because you'll actually enjoy it.
    I hated exercising and couldn't stay motivated until I found Buti Yoga - it was a class at my gym and I knew nothing about it when I went. After the first class I was in love and started going 4 times a week and would actually be EXCITED on the days I got to do it. Of course, there are still days where I feel lazy, but it's nice knowing I have something I actually enjoy instead of something I dread on the fitness side.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    If you want to hear the twisted truth, wifey and I will watch "My 600 lb. life" and "The Biggest Loser." They are quite motivating, especially when it gets to open surgery and talking about things that will kill 20-year-olds before they reach 30.
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    I find I am much more motivated the second I put on workout clothes. My mood shifts and I WANT to sweat and get my endorphins going. I also let myself think that if I still hate the workout after 5 minutes, I can stop... but it never happens. I either 1) don't hate the workout or 2) talk myself into just finishing it because I know I'll feel better after.
    Also, I agree with finding people (whether online or in person) to help hold you accountable. Challenge groups on Facebook are a great way to do that!
  • Picsntwists
    Picsntwists Posts: 11 Member
    You can't just become motivated to do something. You have to want it so bad deep within you that you will stop at nothing to get it. Motivation cannot be created. Motivation is a MYTH. You just wake up and do it even if it seems hard. Schedule it. DO it because you know to reach your goal that is what you have to do.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    find some sort of activity/exercise that you enjoy. If you enjoy it, you will be more likely to do it. Think outside the box. You don't need DVDs or instructors or a gym to get exercise. Dance, walk, hike, jump rope, play, climb a tree. Do whatever you like as long as you are moving.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Agreed with pics. I'ts more about just doing it, like Nike said. Nine times out of ten, I don't get up in the morning to work out. That one day where I do, I seriously yelled at myself (internally) and forced myself to get out of bed, put on the clothes, and do it. It's a little ridiculous, because once I'm actually there and doing the workout, I have no regrets.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    You can't just become motivated to do something. You have to want it so bad deep within you that you will stop at nothing to get it. Motivation cannot be created. Motivation is a MYTH. You just wake up and do it even if it seems hard. Schedule it. DO it because you know to reach your goal that is what you have to do.

This would just mean that the end goal was your motivation. We don't purposely do anything without motivation.
  • Fit_Takes_Time
    Fit_Takes_Time Posts: 24 Member
    In order to get motivation, you need to find your WHY. Find your reason, the one thing to cling too. Everytime I lose motivation, I just remember my why ( I actually have it printed and posted around the house), and it gets me going.
    It's not easy, and the hardest part is pushing play, or just getting there. But once you start, focus, and get it done, you will feel great. You will never regret a workout you complete...BUT you will regret the ones you didn't do!
  • Darjaurhziva
    Darjaurhziva Posts: 28 Member
    Don't rationalize the exercise. You don,t rationalize about going to work or not, brushing your teeth or not, eating your lunch or not - you go to work, you brush your teeth, you eat your lunch - so you should go and exercise. Go and do it. You will never regret the feeling after the workout. You will feel great, motivated, beautifull, strong - bad *kitten*.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Have you ever thought about trying a preworkout supplement? Now it is a habit for me to exercise, but in the beginning I really needed a push and taking something for energy really helped me.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Getting started is the hard part -- the fear of failure, or just the fear of it being unpleasant. Once you get over that, you can spend a couple of months taking it kinda easy but establishing the habit: convincing yourself that you're "an exercise person." Put exercise time right into your schedule: it's an appointment, not something you do if you have time. When your appointment comes and you don't feel like exercising, the negotiations begin: just put on your workout clothes and see how you feel. Once the clothes are on, just do the warmup, that's easy, then see how you feel. Then it's all, well, I've gotten this far, I can do another 15 minutes. Then it's, hey, I'm more than halfway done, just hang in there. And it'll gradually seem like less and less of a deal. And after a few months you'll feel so confident and capable that you'll really want to start pushing yourself harder and trying new things.

Two or three years ago I was a never-exerciser. The idea of working out just seemed like something other people do, not me. "I can't," I said. Now I'm someone who works out every day, and while it often sucks or I don't look forward to particular workouts, I actually get legit pissed off if something interferes with my exercise routine and I have to miss a workout.

I think you have to just embrace the suck at first: it's not always going to be a dance party. But remember that especially when you're just starting out, every workout doesn't need to make you want to vomit or leave you hurting (for that matter, for the average person, no workout ever needs to make you want to vomit). At first your primary goal is just to establish the habit.
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    I hate exercising, but I love playing sports. I've also found a gym that does fitness sessions that make me want to work harder than I would going by myself. You need to keep trying until you find the thing that clicks. I won't say you'll love it. I still dread the hard work, but I've been attending for over 4 years now quite regularly. Somedays the workouts are my favourites (lots of weights), sometimes they're just mean (too many burpees), but the people are fun and the trainers are awesome. Keeps me going back mostly 5 days a week, plus 2 nights of volleyball a week that I really look forward to.
  • WM916
    WM916 Posts: 19 Member
    I know it's weird, but my Fitbit charge HR has made ALL the difference to me. I see the translation into exercise calories, but I also see what not being active does to my TDEE. So now not only do I have a step goal, but I have a daily TDEE goal which is so motivating!! I have 9 pounds to go until I hit the healthy BMI weight range, ( goal 1), and I need the metrics goals because otherwise the patience to see a difference isn't there. S"

That and I found activities I like besides the gym -- Taekwondo and yoga - and when I go to these classes, I'm forced to workout harder.

But seriously, I walk in place watching TV now. I. Can do it for an hour or more even now bc it's just routine.
  • Picsntwists
    Picsntwists Posts: 11 Member

This would just mean that the end goal was your motivation. We don't purposely do anything without motivation.

No motivation is a myth. Goals are the real thing. If you have them and you want them then you will do what it takes...there is no magical fairy dust motivation to get you there.
  • Wendy77685
    Wendy77685 Posts: 27 Member
    benboyd85 wrote: »
    Have you ever thought about trying a preworkout supplement? Now it is a habit for me to exercise, but in the beginning I really needed a push and taking something for energy really helped me.

I am just getting started and having some trouble getting the motivation to exercise. I was thinking about trying something like this, but I am afraid of what is in them and too much caffeine. What kind do you recommend?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    "You will never always be motivated. You have to learn to be disciplined."

I don't know who said that, but I saw it and it's true. I have to go to the gym tonight; I'm tired, it's cold, blah blah blah, but I'm disciplined enough that I will go and do it anyway. Why? I'll be more pissed at myself if I don't.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Getting started is the hard part -- the fear of failure, or just the fear of it being unpleasant. Once you get over that, you can spend a couple of months taking it kinda easy but establishing the habit: convincing yourself that you're "an exercise person." Put exercise time right into your schedule: it's an appointment, not something you do if you have time. When your appointment comes and you don't feel like exercising, the negotiations begin: just put on your workout clothes and see how you feel. Once the clothes are on, just do the warmup, that's easy, then see how you feel. Then it's all, well, I've gotten this far, I can do another 15 minutes. Then it's, hey, I'm more than halfway done, just hang in there. And it'll gradually seem like less and less of a deal. And after a few months you'll feel so confident and capable that you'll really want to start pushing yourself harder and trying new things.

Two or three years ago I was a never-exerciser. The idea of working out just seemed like something other people do, not me. "I can't," I said. Now I'm someone who works out every day, and while it often sucks or I don't look forward to particular workouts, I actually get legit pissed off if something interferes with my exercise routine and I have to miss a workout.

I think you have to just embrace the suck at first: it's not always going to be a dance party. But remember that especially when you're just starting out, every workout doesn't need to make you want to vomit or leave you hurting (for that matter, for the average person, no workout ever needs to make you want to vomit). At first your primary goal is just to establish the habit.

Lol! "Embrace the suck," really spoke to me! I have several areas of my life that are causing me great boredom, unhappiness, and distress right now. I'm desperately trying to find ways to deal and improve but for the time being, I'm just going to follow your advice and embrace the suck! Thanks for that gem:)