NO carbs and fat in a diet.

GlamourVintage
GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay guys, so a woman on Youtube said she lose 40 pounds in 2 months..by barely eating carbs (20 or lower) and no fat..and kept it off for the last month. She said carbs and fat is the enemy. And a person can't lose weight if they eat 20g or more of carbs and fat. My question is can you live off of 20g or lower in carbs and fat? I'm just curious. Opinions, please?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Dietary fat is important for fat loss and hormones. Carbs and fat are not the enemy. You can live on low carb, low fat can have serious health consequences if you do it long term.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Dietary fat is important for fat loss and hormones. Carbs and fat are not the enemy. You can live on low carb, low fat can have serious health consequences if you do it long term.

This. The fact that she's only kept it off a month means nothing. A month is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Over-restrictive habits is one of the main reasons people fall back into old habits. They never learn moderation.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    You can lose weight eating anything, as long as you remain at a caloric deficit. Fat is good for you. Carbs are not evil. I have lost all of my weight so far eating plenty of carbs and fat. Other than paying attention to calories and making sure I get adequate protein, I rarely pay attention to anything else.

That's my $.02
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    My opinion only! Some carbs are good for you and are an excellent source of energy. Complex carbs are amazing! They are in whole grains, beans and veggies. They are filling too. Anytime I tried to do a low carb diet I was exhausted and cranky. Then when I introduced carbs back in my diet I gained it all back twice as fast as I lost it. But everyone is different. This could be the thing that works for you! Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    There are very few proteins that have no associated carbs or fat, so basically it would be impossible.
  • LuanneScott1971
    LuanneScott1971 Posts: 14 Member
    Who would WANT to live that way!?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    No offense, but she sounds a little cray. I'm wondering what did she eat.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member

Exactly! Especially when it's soooooo unnecessary. I'm over on my fat goal every. single. day. And carbs? I'm a vegetarian, most of what I eat (including protein sources) are carbs! Hasn't stopped me from losing weight and I totally enjoy my food. Fat and carbs make the best kind of food.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2016

For the hits, that's who :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    What channel? I'd like to see if she's as loony tunes as she sounds.

If you can't have any carbs or fat...what are you supposed to eat? About all your protein sources have fat, carbs or both.

ETA: this actually sounds dangerous to me, what she's promoting.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Well I lost all my weight while eating 190g of carbs and have kept it off for 2+ yrs so far while still eating all those evil scary carbs! And fat !
    Carbs and fat are macros and nothing to be afraid of.
    Don't believe the hype. People like to look for magic weight loss wand and its just not necessary . to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. Eat less then you burn. Cico. No need to give up important macros , no need for extreme diets , fads and gimmicks..

Remember - cico.
  • Shawnrivas
    Shawnrivas Posts: 7 Member
    I guess limiting carbs to 0 is great but extreme for most folks. I say keep it simple and burn more than you consume. Keep a 1,000 difference between what you've eaten and what you burn for weight loss and than start messing around with the numbers of carbs, fats, and sodium later.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Okay guys, so a woman on Youtube said she lose 40 pounds in 2 months..by barely eating carbs (20 or lower) and no fat..and kept it off for the last month. She said carbs and fat is the enemy. And a person can't lose weight if they eat 20g or more of carbs and fat. My question is can you live off of 20g or lower in carbs and fat? I'm just curious. Opinions, please?

So she basically ate only protein? That sounds a bit unhealthy.
  • GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2016
    I edit my original poster because I made a mistake with "my" instead of "a" in the subject line. I would post the video but I don't want to do her like that. But yeah..thanks for the feedback. :smile:
  • provitasemper
    provitasemper Posts: 12 Member
    A totally zero-fat diet is DISASTROUS for one's memory, and brain function, many times permanently if on the diet for a long time. I've witnessed it first-hand in a friend and also in my aunt.

Also, really bad for one's hair/skin/nails. Not to mention, fat is not bad for a person--it is essential for proper absorption of many different fat-soluble vitamins.

What works for me is HFLC (High-fat, Low-carb). My cravings are completely non-existent between meals if I eat healthy fats along with low carb foods (grass-fed meats, cheeses, eggs, fish) and lots of leafy greens and low-carb veggies. If you go to DietDoctor.com, it explains it really well. I am NOT endorsing this site (tho I really trust them) but they explain it in a really sensible way that explains the science of why the "Low-Fat" diet of the last 30+ years in America made so many of us fat and sick, and now sick and tired of being fat.

When I eat low-fat, I am CONSTANTLY hungry. HFLC is amazing, even for kids. My autistic son does much better when he gets a high-fat, organic, whole food diet.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Whoa, I agree that such macro restrictions are completely unnecessary. My personal "low carb" diet is stay around 200g/day. For reference, my maintenance level carb intake is close to 300. 20g??? How? Zero plant based foods? And pretty much only fat free meat and dairy (I'm guessing...this is so far away from my balanced intake). Sounds dreadful.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2016
    Fat is necessary.
    Carbs -- eat them or do not eat them because they do not matter one way or another.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

My opinion is that my serotonin levels would take a nosedive on a diet like this and it would be disastrous for my depression. I have no problems with low carb, but no healthy fats? No thanks.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Two words :

Rabbit starvation