Opinion of this "diet plan"? (given by personal trainer)

refinnejlauren85
refinnejlauren85 Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all,

I have been working out with a friend and we decided to get a personal trainer that works at a local gym near our work. The personal trainer gave us a diet plan. I think it is flawed, but I don't know all that much about nutrition and everyone has differing opinions. This particular diet plan does not allow for any dairy and no mention of avocados, which I love. I would love to hear what you all think of her suggestions. It seems high in protein and low in fat but also seems very bland and boring.

1. 3 egg whites + 1/2 cup oatmeal + 1/2 fruit (she suggested half a banana)
2. 4 oz chicken breast + 1/2 brown rice + 3.5 oz greens (she suggested asparagus, spinach, broccoli)
3. 4 oz tilapia (I hate fish - so if there is a better alternative, or if I can get whatever benefits this or other fish offer from a supplement, sign me up for that!) + 1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread + 3-4 oz greens (asparagus, spinach, broccoli)
4. 4 oz gound turkey 93% + 6 oz greens
5. 3 egg whites + 1/4 cup nuts
6. Post workout -- 1 scoop whey protein + 1/4 cup oats (within 90 minutes of workout) OR 6 oz chicken breast + 1/2 cup white rice + 3 oz greens

Bad: BBQ sauces, Ranch, flavored drinks, milk, mayo, butter, multivitamins, digestive enzymes, must drink 128 oz water/day

Good: ketchup, mustard, salsa, hot sauces, spices, salt

Edit: I guess I should mention my goal is to lose ~60 lbs. I do weights and cardio at the gym. My friend's goal is to be stronger and more toned, but would also like to lose weight as well.

Replies

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Looks like 100% broscience.

Did she say anything about a calorie deficit, weighing your food on a digital food scale, or how much protein, fat and fiber you should be aiming for per day?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    That's a cookie cutter diet plan that the trainer found online. It's given to lots of bikini and figure competitors by trainers with little to no experience and no nutritional training. Ignore it.

Instead follow MyFitnessPal's calories. Eat some protein and vegetables at each meal, fill in some snacks when you find you need a boost, enjoy a small treat at the end of the day if you have calories. Planning ahead will do wonders!
  • refinnejlauren85
    No -- I had mentioned I used myfitnesspal and she disagreed with most of what I was claiming I was eating

Some of the things I eat that I would consider healthy:
    - 1/3 cup oatmeal, 1-2 tablespoons pb2, half banana or half apple
    - 1 egg with 1-2 egg whites and spinach or broccoli mixed in and sometimes with salsa.
    - Vanilla greek yogurt with 1/4-1/2 cup mixed frozen berries for a snack
    - lots of boneless skinless chicken breasts
    - celery w/ a wedge of laughing cow swiss cheese

I also have no ground or basis for this, but I try to stay around 30g of carbs for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 15g x 2 snacks during the day. My mom did this and it worked well for her (she was pre-diabetic, I'm not, but it runs in my family).
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Listen to usmcmp! She's one of the most knowledgeable people on myfitnesspal.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2016
    No -- I had mentioned I used myfitnesspal and she disagreed with most of what I was claiming I was eating

- 1 egg with 1-2 egg whites and spinach or broccoli mixed in and sometimes with salsa.

I also have no ground or basis for this, but I try to stay around 30g of carbs for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 15g x 2 snacks during the day.[/b] My mom did this and it worked well for her (she was pre-diabetic, I'm not, but it runs in my family).

You have a plan. Know that you can open up your options:

eggs with the yolks, dark meat chicken, salmon, tuna, pinto beans, black beans,
    chic peas, pork chops, nuts, rice, squash, cauliflower, green beans, carrots,
    mushrooms, asparagus, okra, eggplant, spaghetti squash, zucchini AND
    anything else that you want.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Sounds boring, lacking fats (other than the tiny bit in the meat and nuts), and why only green veggies? A veritable rainbow of produce arbitrarily restricted. I'd say unsustainable and sad. I'm sassy, but I'd have asked if my own tears were an acceptable seasoning, and said thanks, no thanks.

I'll echo the broscience sentiment. Sounds like it was copy pasta from a bikini body Pinterest board of someone with no nutritional knowledge.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'd fail miserably on this diet plan. Everything on the "bad" list are things I eat pretty regularly, except digestive enzymes, which I would love to know why they are forbidden.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Lol "egg whites", just throw all that good cholesterol and omega 3s in the trash. YEA! FITNESS TRAINERS!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Looks like you already eat a variety of foods rich in nutrition, which is great for your overall health and helps keep hunger at bay. So, consume fewer calories from those foods than the number of calories you burn from activity/exercise and you'll lose weight. You do that by figuring out how much energy (i.e., calories) you need to support your daily activity and exercise and then eat 250 calories less than that amount per day for every half pound you want to lose per week, up to 2 pounds per week.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    It will work the same as what you were eating before for weight loss given that you're eating at a calorie deficit.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    That's a cookie cutter diet plan that the trainer found online. It's given to lots of bikini and figure competitors by trainers with little to no experience and no nutritional training. Ignore it.

Instead follow MyFitnessPal's calories. Eat some protein and vegetables at each meal, fill in some snacks when you find you need a boost, enjoy a small treat at the end of the day if you have calories. Planning ahead will do wonders!

100% this.

Be as accurate as you can with weighing and measuring your food, be diligent about logging your food and weighing yourself and be reasonable with the estimated calorie burns you use. Get plenty of protein and veggies and EAT FOOD YOU LIKE to hit your goals. I would cry if I had to follow that diet. I like chicken, but hate fish, egg whites, ground turkey and wheat bread/rice. I still eat a lot of protein.

Most of all, learn how to have treats in moderation.

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    emtjmac wrote: »
    Lol "egg whites", just throw all that good cholesterol and omega 3s in the trash. YEA! FITNESS TRAINERS!

I know, right? Eggs are expensive (here, anyway). Why throw away the nutrient dense part of a $4-5 dozen?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member

I also have no ground or basis for this, but I try to stay around 30g of carbs for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 15g x 2 snacks during the day. My mom did this and it worked well for her (she was pre-diabetic, I'm not, but it runs in my family).

Absolutely none of that is unhealthy or bad. If it keeps you full and happy eat those. Ditch her cookie cutter diet and call her out on it.

https://www.figureandbikini.org/a/134/My-Competition-Meal-Plan
  • refinnejlauren85
    I'd fail miserably on this diet plan. Everything on the "bad" list are things I eat pretty regularly, except digestive enzymes, which I would love to know why they are forbidden.

Sorry, that was actually a typo the digestive enzymes and 128 oz water should be listed under the good section, lol.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

Sorry, that was actually a typo the digestive enzymes and 128 oz water should be listed under the good section, lol.

Unless someone is working all day sweating in the hot sun, they do not need that much water in one day.
    Anywhere from four to eight 8-ounce cups of water is usually enough for most of us.
  • refinnejlauren85
    RodaRose wrote: »

Unless someone is working all day sweating in the hot sun, they do not need that much water in one day.
    Anywhere from four to eight 8-ounce cups of water is usually enough for most of us.

I told her I would float away. I'm 5'1. I drink about 72 oz a day.
  • refinnejlauren85
    Sounds boring, lacking fats (other than the tiny bit in the meat and nuts), and why only green veggies? A veritable rainbow of produce arbitrarily restricted. I'd say unsustainable and sad. I'm sassy, but I'd have asked if my own tears were an acceptable seasoning, and said thanks, no thanks.

I'll echo the broscience sentiment. Sounds like it was copy pasta from a bikini body Pinterest board of someone with no nutritional knowledge.

I basically said the same thing. it is absolutely unsustainable.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    If I ran across a personal trainer who gave such terrible information regarding diet, I wouldn't listen to a single word he/she had to say about anything else. Sounds like somebody who got their training from the University of Broscience.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Typical "trainer" diet proposal. Why the hell does every trainer who's in shape think that EVERYONE needs to eat the way they do?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    At least they gave you ketchup and hot sauce. That'll be hella good on your eggs.