60lbs to lose by August 20th 2016

Replies

• aprilwebber
    aprilwebber Posts: 18 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Hello April and everyone! It looks like there are a bunch of ladies here with the same kind of weight loss goal as me - I'd like to lose 50-60lbs, but don't have a set date to achieve that. By the end of the year would be fantastic, but I think it's more likely it'll take me a couple of years. It didn't go on fast so it's not coming off fast! :)

I just signed up here yesterday, and am logging my food for the first time today. I find it annoying, but I need to know how much I'm actually eating rather than just what I think I eat! I like to snack, especially when I'm bored, so being unemployed would be a much larger problem if I could afford to stock the house with high-cal snacks! I have cut down somewhat from when I was working (there were free snacks and fabulous cooked lunches where I used to work!), but I need to find healthy and cheap substitutes so if anyone can point me towards some suggestions that would be fantastic!

A little about me: my name's Sue, and I'm a Brit living in Canada. I had a milestone birthday in October (fortynine-and-twelve-months *coughcough*) and I appear to be heading into the menopause, so I don't know how much those things might affect the ease of losing weight as I hear it's harder the older you get. I don't feel 'old' - in my mind I'm still in my twenties (maybe younger!) - but sometimes my body feels more like it belongs to an old lady. It's time to do something about it (again)!

I tried a diet a few years back and lost about 24lbs, but it involved meal replacement shakes and that's not sustainable for me. I need solid food or I don't think I've eaten, no matter how nutritious a shake is! I kept the weight off for a short time, then took a sedentary job and all those pounds crept back on again and brought some friends with them! I know that what I really need to do is change my eating habits permanently, but with a husband and son who are fussy about what they eat and also love snacks and treats it's going to take some effort to find healthier meals that everyone will eat.

I also have some difficulties with exercising due to long-term back problems, but I dug out the old Wii Fit that I haven't used in years and have done 20-30 minutes of stretching, balance games and light aerobics every day since Jan 2nd. It's not exactly a high-intensity workout, but when you're starting out any movement is better than none, right? :)

krbkrat wrote: »
    Do y'all have any non-numeric goals...???

Yes!! Besides being able to fit into some old favourite clothes that I still keep, I would really love to be able to wear my wedding and engagement rings again. I've been married 26 years but only wore them for the first four... when I got pregnant my fingers puffed up so I had to take them off, and I've rarely been able to get them on again since then (even though I was nowhere near as heavy then as I am now). I wore my hubby's ring for a while, since he also put on some weight and his got tight, but I haven't been able to wear that either for a few years. I never wanted to get my rings resized, telling myself it would be an incentive to just lose the weight so I could wear them again, but apparently it wasn't enough of an incentive!

After my previous weight loss I was able to just about get them on, but they were still a bit tight. It was such a lovely feeling to finally be able to get those diamonds on my finger again, and I'd forgotten about it until I was thinking about writing this. I want to experience that feeling again! :)

Anyway - that was a lot more waffle than I'd planned to write! But if any of you lovely ladies would like to add me to your friends lists (like I said, I'm new so I don't really know how all this works yet), then please feel free to do so! I'm going to need some encouragement to keep going with this as I get disheartened easily, and I'd be happy to try and cheer others along in return! :smiley:
    ccgirl10 wrote: »
    Today is my 2nd day really keeping track and staying within my calorie goal and my cravings are insane!! Probably doesn't help that I work at a Chocolate factory and temptation in everywhere!! Trying to keep drinking my water and not go visit the Quality Control dept looking for samples!!

Hoping after a couple days my cravings get better and my will power stays strong!
    rachelmn29 wrote: »
    My daughter is 15 as well and needs to drop some weight so we are doing this together as well! I have alot more to lose but we both are committed to keeping the junk out of the house and make good choices together. There is power in numbers and support! I hope we can keep up with each other! I
    I am new to this, and I am in desperate need of support and motivation.

I signed up maybe over a year ago and haven't done anything. I would love to lose 70+ pounds.

I am Asthmatic and Diabetic, and I know that having a great support system is one of the main reasons that I lost weight before.

My daughter and I are doing this together. She is fifteen years old and one of the reasons I wanted to do this was for her. I don't want her to go through High School being bullied or ridiculed because of her weight.

I am glad for this forum, we need all the help we can get too! Please add me, everyone and I hope to talk to all of you soon! I am trying to be good and log into this at least once a day or maybe more :)
    I have the same sort of goal. I wanna lose 60+ pounds by summer so I can jump from a plane. I have already started back in the 4th and am down 9.2 pounds and 1.7% body fat. I am doing Keto and love it!

Plenty of sources for recipes, tips and advice. Get a Pinterest account if you already don't have one. Awesome app to start a board with all the foods you wanna try or just need to keep handy for the recipe.
    gquesnelle wrote: »
    Trying to lose about 70, in it for the long run! Feel free to shoot me a friend request. :)
    jusbar71 wrote: »
    Hi, I would like you to add me, I am looking to lose approx 70lbs by Aug, I am 6lbs down and into my 2nd week. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia so find it very difficult to exercise. Maybe we could help each other. Justine
    HannahAldo wrote: »
    I have the same amount of weight to lose but I have 14 months till my wedding! Anyone who needs friends to help motivate feel free to add me! ❤️

Hi all and welcome to the group! I hope you're finding lots of support and inspiration as I am. I said earlier that I did not expect such a big response to my post but it's nice to know that there are lots of other women out there like me. Feel free to add me if you're looking for an accountibili-buddy!
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Hello everyone, wow, what a thread! Just been reading through everyone's posts and you all seem like such lovely welcoming ladies.
    I have around 50lbs to lose, I started on the 4th and have lost 6lb so far. I weigh myself each week on a Friday and am desperate to lose this weight as it's my 40th this year and I am NOT going to be fat at 40! I too am in the unhappy situation of weighing more my partner, and very disheartening it is too.
    I'm currently using a Fitbit which I love (Christmas present from my fella) as it motivates me each day to move more, I have a desk job and am on my backside for pretty much 8 hours a day so I need something to make me aware of how much exercise I'm (not) doing.
    I started back on the C25K programme this week, having done up to week 4 previously, and then life got in the way, as it does, but I'm determined to finish it this time.
    Once I feel a little more confident in myself I also intend to get back to my old yoga class.
    Good luck everybody, we CAN do this, feel free to add my on either MFP or Fitbit if you have have one, for motivation and support. ☺
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    RnS2015 wrote: »
    Jetamu96 wrote: »
    My guy is really sweet. He's actually picked me up before (though I hated every second and I know he wasn't having an easy time). I want to have that movie moment where I run and jump into his arms <3

I think the majority of us want this, or at least I do! :#

The best part is IT WILL HAPPEN because WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS! (can you tell i'm motivated? xD)
  • denisemcjohnson
    denisemcjohnson Posts: 7 Member
    I hear you. I am about 5'1" and my husband is about 6'. We weighed in yesterday. I'm at 211 and he's at 220. So sad, but he loves all of me! I am looking forward to getting smaller this year!
  • In a similar situation, need to lose at least 30 by May and after that, hopefully much more, but 30 to be in a healthier place. really need to dedicate. only on day 2. lonnnngggg road.
  • wolfect
    wolfect Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2016
    My like and comment buttons are being goofy - - so…I hope everyone had a great day! Mine was the best I've had in a long time. The enthusiasm in the group got me to resist temptation when it kicked in and stay with my plan. Sleep well :smile:
  • kesslemg
    kesslemg Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2016
    I came up with some non-numeric goals:

1) Can remove by wedding band & engagement ring without saliva, lotion, soap or any combo of the aforementioned

2) Minimal to no thigh chaffing/chub rub this summer (I don't want to buy stock in Desitin)

3) The bra tank tops I wear to bed aren't sports bras by morning

4) Jeans stay where they belong (around the waist or slightly lower) without me having to pull them up constantly like I'm the late-great Chris Farley as Matt Foley in the old SNL skit where he famously stated "35 years old, eating a steady diet of government cheese, thrice divorced, and living in a van down by the river!" (thank you Wikipedia)

5) And finally...I'm tired of being hot all the time and sweating along the hair line (and other areas...we can just leave at that)...it looks nasty and is so very uncomfortable.

I know these are tongue-in-cheek...but there is more than a speck of truth to them...if you can't laugh at yourself then who can you laugh at?

Do y'all have any non-numeric goals...???

I'm with you on the thigh chaffing. It's not very comfortable after a long run. I'd like to be able to put my original wedding rings on!

I see in a previous post that you are training for a race. I've run 3 half marathons and am thinking about signing up for another. I don't know if my body could handle it right now though. I also thought about a triathlon. I seem to do better when I have something like that to train for.
  • kesslemg
    CariTJR wrote: »
    Hello everyone, wow, what a thread! Just been reading through everyone's posts and you all seem like such lovely welcoming ladies.
    I have around 50lbs to lose, I started on the 4th and have lost 6lb so far. I weigh myself each week on a Friday and am desperate to lose this weight as it's my 40th this year and I am NOT going to be fat at 40! I too am in the unhappy situation of weighing more my partner, and very disheartening it is too.
    I'm currently using a Fitbit which I love (Christmas present from my fella) as it motivates me each day to move more, I have a desk job and am on my backside for pretty much 8 hours a day so I need something to make me aware of how much exercise I'm (not) doing.
    I started back on the C25K programme this week, having done up to week 4 previously, and then life got in the way, as it does, but I'm determined to finish it this time.
    Once I feel a little more confident in myself I also intend to get back to my old yoga class.
    Good luck everybody, we CAN do this, feel free to add my on either MFP or Fitbit if you have have one, for motivation and support. ☺

I turned 40 in December! I didn't want to carry this weight into my 40's but somehow weight loss last year didn't happen for me. Hopefully, this will be my lucky year. I've yoyo'd back and forth. I also got a fitbit so I find myself walking the dog more and moving a bit more. Although with the temps where I live yesterday and today are not helping!
  • bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    I could swear I said this before but I think this might be my favorite thread here. Just loving how nice, supportive, and motivating everyone is!!! <3

I feel like I may be fighting something off today. Very tired, neck is aching, headache... just feel woozy, like when you drink too much LOL. I've been off alcohol for just over a week now (on a 21 day challenge) so that ain't it! :P

But I want to wait this out a bit and if I feel better AT ALL I'm working out anyway. I took yesterday off because of my back which is still sore. But while I may not need my super tough Jillian video, I want to do something and it's too cold and snowy to go out for a walk/jog. I desperately want a bigger loss this week!
  • bsbprincess
    Sorry to double post... but I just can't wait to share this!!

I've been moaning about how I only lost .5 lbs last week. A full week of busting my butt workin out, pushing myself as much as possible. Eating so much better. Not salting foods, no alcohol. Only drinking water... And then today I woke up feeling sick as I said above. But then, just for the heck of it, I weighed. I'm not down more, but my Aria scale says my body fat % is 39.9 (it's been 40.2) so I thought, well subtle. I wonder how accurate this is...

Then I took measurements, not expecting anything different. I've lost an inch around both my waist and my hips!! I'm so excited!!! It's WORKING! I'm not the failure I was thinking I was lol. YOU GUYS!! I'M DOING IT! :D

(sorry, I'm on a workout high. That loss pushed me to have the energy to kill my Jillian video)
  • krbkrat
    krbkrat Posts: 85 Member
    wolfect wrote: »
    Planned my meals and a nice walk to 5 locations near me that sell Powerball tickets :)

Strong work @wolfect. I was over yesterday - but not by much. Going to the gym this evening and have pre-logged to set my daily target! I have started weighing myself daily, which can be a good and bad thing, but I look at the weekly trend. At this point I am only 1/2 lb lighter than I was last week...but better than nothing! 1/2lb per week = 2 lb per month = 24 lb per year! So even if I didn't make the 60lb we all are working toward...I would still be down. Better than nothing!!!

@bsbprincess...relax today! Can you get a massage? Take some NSAIDs if you are able and heat. Make sure to stretch!! Hope it gets better too. Checked out the zombie thing. SO COOL. :smile:

@Flab2Fab32 - welcome and what a "Fab" bday present to yourself 60lb less would be!!! ;)

@ccgirl10 - I will definitely be posting the day I'm less than the hubs. Haha!

@DoubleTheLove - welcome as well!

Happy Wednesday to y'all!
    -KK
  • krbkrat
    krbkrat Posts: 85 Member

I've been moaning about how I only lost .5 lbs last week. A full week of busting my butt workin out, pushing myself as much as possible. Eating so much better. Not salting foods, no alcohol. Only drinking water... And then today I woke up feeling sick as I said above. But then, just for the heck of it, I weighed. I'm not down more, but my Aria scale says my body fat % is 39.9 (it's been 40.2) so I thought, well subtle. I wonder how accurate this is...

Then I took measurements, not expecting anything different. I've lost an inch around both my waist and my hips!! I'm so excited!!! It's WORKING! I'm not the failure I was thinking I was lol. YOU GUYS!! I'M DOING IT! :D

(sorry, I'm on a workout high. That loss pushed me to have the energy to kill my Jillian video)

@bsbprincess - AWESOME. Never apologize about the work out high...haha. I like measurements as well - especially when you are exercising too - because you really see how your body composition is changing when the scale doesn't reflect the caloric restriction! Keep it up - don't hurt yourself. Injuries can be so devastating!!!!

@kesslemg - yeah - this will be my first one. I just want to prove it to myself that I can do it, and if it doesn't KILL me (hahahaha) then maybe I'll continue to do them. Never had knee pain before now, and it really isn't bad, just I'm not used to it. Fingers crossed when the weight starts to come off this will improve/disappear....

@CariTJR - you and me on the C25K train together...I'm just in week 1...

I know there have been a ton of chicas joining in this super cool thread - sorry if I missed ya through all of it - if you haven't already added me - please do!

-KK
  • hlotsfan996
    hlotsfan996 Posts: 14 Member
    Feel free to add would love to join the group. Have a goal of 40lbs to go.
  • bsbprincess
    @bsbprincess...relax today! Can you get a massage? Take some NSAIDs if you are able and heat. Make sure to stretch!! Hope it gets better too. Checked out the zombie thing. SO COOL. :smile:

Thank you! :) Yay I'm glad you like it! It's a fantastic app.

I'll definitely rest the rest of the day. Watching 80s horror movies on youtube LOL! Also planning what to buy for next week's dinners. Need to focus more on healthy food I cook myself and less on frozen junk now that we have a bit more money for ingredients LOL.
  • kesslemg

@kesslemg - yeah - this will be my first one. I just want to prove it to myself that I can do it, and if it doesn't KILL me (hahahaha) then maybe I'll continue to do them. Never had knee pain before now, and it really isn't bad, just I'm not used to it. Fingers crossed when the weight starts to come off this will improve/disappear....

-KK

@krbkrat I'm sorry to hear your knees are bothering you. I had that in the beginning as well. I invested in a good pair of shoes and that helped.

@bsbprincess Congratulations! I think that measurements are more important than the number in the scale. Keep up the good work!
  • aprilwebber

Congratulations!! That is SO awesome. You're definitely not a failure :)
  • aprilwebber
    Hope everyone kicks @ss today!! And if you don't accomplish what you set out to, don't be too hard on yourself! You'll get there :)
  • bsbprincess
    Thank you all for the kind words about my happy discovery :)

Welcome to the newcomers :)

I worked out again yesterday (same Jillian thing, since I'm not ready to move on yet) and then did a 20 minute beginner Bob Harper workout with my fiance after he got home from work. My back started bothering me during it and has hurt since...

I slipped and fell at work (a restaurant) once. I didn't bother going to the doctor because I just had a sore back (and they had sent other people to doctors before... and it was awful. They were the kind of health coverage for a large corporate restaurant company where the doc never did anything for anyone, and didn't care or listen.) Anyway, my feet slipped out from under me and I landed on my hip, but more on my back than my side. At least it wasn't my tailbone, huh? I had a large black bruise about 7" across or so, my mom couldn't believe it. My back was really sore for almost a week. I was laying on a heating pad and sipping wine when I wasn't working lol. Just when I was about to go to the Doc I healed. Well to this day it's fine, unless I strain it. I don't have much muscle in my arms yet, so certain moves... I can tell I'm straining it a bit. So frustrating! I know it'll get better once I get my muscle back.. because I've done all this AFTER falling. Sorry for rambling, just wanted to share my backstory of why my back keeps hurting right now. It's frustrating for SURE. I want to balance being good to myself, and pushing through.

I may do something else today, like tae bo, and see how it feels. I really don't think I'll workout tomorrow as it's kind of an errand day and then date night with fiance.

Have a great day, all!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    I am new to this, and I am in desperate need of support and motivation.

I signed up maybe over a year ago and haven't done anything. I would love to lose 70+ pounds.

I am Asthmatic and Diabetic, and I know that having a great support system is one of the main reasons that I lost weight before.

My daughter and I are doing this together. She is fifteen years old and one of the reasons I wanted to do this was for her. I don't want her to go through High School being bullied or ridiculed because of her weight.

I am glad for this forum, we need all the help we can get too! Please add me, everyone and I hope to talk to all of you soon! I am trying to be good and log into this at least once a day or maybe more :)

You and I are very similar. I am asthmatic and diabetic as well. My daughter , a little younger, is in middle school and weight is starting to be a bone of contention for her although she is still in the healthy category so she works out with me at night. Feel free to add me.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    I could swear I said this before but I think this might be my favorite thread here. Just loving how nice, supportive, and motivating everyone is!!! <3

I feel like I may be fighting something off today. Very tired, neck is aching, headache... just feel woozy, like when you drink too much LOL. I've been off alcohol for just over a week now (on a 21 day challenge) so that ain't it! :P

But I want to wait this out a bit and if I feel better AT ALL I'm working out anyway. I took yesterday off because of my back which is still sore. But while I may not need my super tough Jillian video, I want to do something and it's too cold and snowy to go out for a walk/jog. I desperately want a bigger loss this week!

I absolutely agree, I love this thread! So much positivity and support!