Opinion of this "diet plan"? (given by personal trainer)

2»

Replies

• elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    That's a cookie cutter diet plan that the trainer found online. It's given to lots of bikini and figure competitors by trainers with little to no experience and no nutritional training. Ignore it.

Instead follow MyFitnessPal's calories. Eat some protein and vegetables at each meal, fill in some snacks when you find you need a boost, enjoy a small treat at the end of the day if you have calories. Planning ahead will do wonders!

Yep, just eat protein, vegetables and starchy carbs like brown rice/oats (don't forget healthy fats too) and within your calorie goals. I follow low fat diet too, but that's because I have a slightly high LDL. So, I limit saturated fat and avoid trans fat.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'd ask for the rationale your trainor is operating under by which this menu could be a logical consequence.

I would think the rationale would be more useful to a person than some menu.

If there is no rationale, I personally wouldn't reward a trainor's incompetence with my hard-earned money.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    It would be one thing if you asked for a diet plan (doesn't sound like the OP did) and the trainer said, "here's a sample menu or outline of choices that should allow you to lose weight at an appropriate rate while getting your macro and micro nutrients, with an emphasis on protein because we want to try to spare your muscles while you're losing weight." It's quite another thing for the trainer to tell that you should only eat the things on a relatively short list, and that you have to divide them up into six meals (or three meals and three snacks) just this way. Because meal timing is pretty much immaterial, and there are lots of ways to get the same micros and macros into your diet.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    emtjmac wrote: »
    Lol "egg whites", just throw all that good cholesterol and omega 3s in the trash. YEA! FITNESS TRAINERS!

I know, right? Eggs are expensive (here, anyway). Why throw away the nutrient dense part of a $4-5 dozen?

The yolks are of course packed with micro nutrients, but the egg whites have their place in well rounded diet too. Most grocery stores sell cartons of 100% pure liquid egg whites so you don't have to throw away anything
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I would really worry about the lack of calcium, selenium and lycopene in that diet as well as the fats.
    As a female you really need to get your calcium requirements.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Fire the trainer. Problem solved :)
    I would not trust this person to offer advice on anything.
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    I have failed many times on diets like this. Having foods I like in moderation and counting calories is the only thing that has been working for me so far. Anyway, if you don't like the plan, it's not going to work. Just my humble opinion, I'm not a pro
  • refinnejlauren85
    refinnejlauren85 Posts: 7 Member
    I have failed many times on diets like this. Having foods I like in moderation and counting calories is the only thing that has been working for me so far. Anyway, if you don't like the plan, it's not going to work. Just my humble opinion, I'm not a pro

That's what I was thinking -- thanks!
  • refinnejlauren85
    refinnejlauren85 Posts: 7 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If I ran across a personal trainer who gave such terrible information regarding diet, I wouldn't listen to a single word he/she had to say about anything else. Sounds like somebody who got their training from the University of Broscience.

Their training seems to be okay -- she may be pushing too hard with weights. I'm a weakling, as I have never really done anything with weights before, and she kills me with the amount of weights she's making me to. At times, I feel like I am sacrificing form because it's above my level but she's kind of a nazi and pushes me, which I need, but I think form and learning how to do things properly is way more important.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    If you are not happy with your eating plan, you are not going to stick with it. You have to find something that makes you happy, and that you can sustain in the long run - I dont think this is it, from a psychological standpoint. Too bland, not enough variety.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    128oz of water is insane.

And nope, there's no way I'd stick to such a diet.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'd recommend two apple spice donuts for breakfast, an italian hoagie for lunch, and a spicy chicken deluxe meal from chick-fil-a for dinner. Drink plenty of liquids through the day such as water or milk or fruit juices. If you like snacking, I'm a big fan of ice cream.

• jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Wow, that sounds so boring, I wouldn't last a week eating that way. I agree with the others saying that a calorie deficit is the most important for weight loss. I make sure to get in my fruits and veggies but I always make room for treats (hello chocolate and wine!).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Hi all,

I have been working out with a friend and we decided to get a personal trainer that works at a local gym near our work. The personal trainer gave us a diet plan. I think it is flawed, but I don't know all that much about nutrition and everyone has differing opinions. This particular diet plan does not allow for any dairy and no mention of avocados, which I love. I would love to hear what you all think of her suggestions. It seems high in protein and low in fat but also seems very bland and boring.

1. 3 egg whites + 1/2 cup oatmeal + 1/2 fruit (she suggested half a banana)
    2. 4 oz chicken breast + 1/2 brown rice + 3.5 oz greens (she suggested asparagus, spinach, broccoli)
    3. 4 oz tilapia (I hate fish - so if there is a better alternative, or if I can get whatever benefits this or other fish offer from a supplement, sign me up for that!) + 1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread + 3-4 oz greens (asparagus, spinach, broccoli)
    4. 4 oz gound turkey 93% + 6 oz greens
    5. 3 egg whites + 1/4 cup nuts
    6. Post workout -- 1 scoop whey protein + 1/4 cup oats (within 90 minutes of workout) OR 6 oz chicken breast + 1/2 cup white rice + 3 oz greens

Bad: BBQ sauces, Ranch, flavored drinks, milk, mayo, butter, multivitamins, digestive enzymes, must drink 128 oz water/day

Good: ketchup, mustard, salsa, hot sauces, spices, salt

Edit: I guess I should mention my goal is to lose ~60 lbs. I do weights and cardio at the gym. My friend's goal is to be stronger and more toned, but would also like to lose weight as well.

My opinion is that I could not eat that for even a week. Very dull. Too many things I don't like. Why such a limited selection of vegetables?
    Just eat the food you like and stick to the calories MFP tells you to eat and you'll be fine. If you want a diet plan visit a dietician .