To egg yolk or not to egg yolk?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2016
    What I learned after starting to eat yolks was the egg substitutes just tasted rubbery to me. But, also, I'm a pour it in a bowl and stick in the microwave kind of girl. I don't doctor my eggs up much. They're great if you want to save some calories tho. And not bad as a substitute in cooking.

Eat real eggs.

You know you want to. :)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I have high cholesterol. Hereditary. I've read so much. I eat the yolk and trying to reduce inflammation and of course exercise and improve my digestive system. Eat the yolk.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited January 2016
    dashley28 wrote: »
    Wow thanks for all the great input, some of the comments are so funny! I have low cholesterol so I don't really have to worry about that and I am active probably 6x a week. I eat about 2 eggs regularly probably at least 4-5 times a week. Is it ok to eat yolk that many times or maybe I should be doing some white and some yolk like I'm reading others do. I've never tried the break free that might be a good idea. I seem to be in my caloric goal just fine, I don't usually go over.

Basically I'm mostly trying to gain some muscle with heavy lifting, that's my main focus but I also want to lose a little fat before a trip to Hawaii in 7 weeks so I have a small calorie deficit. I am 29, 5'4' , 128lbs and have a body fat percentage of around 24%. With my stats and goals is it reasonable to eat all my eggs with yolks?

Again you guys are great, I love that I can so quickly get the advice I'm looking for. This app is changing the game for me. :)

All joking aside, i'm not sure what others experiences are with eating eggs with yolks everyday but I eat at the very least two per day and sit 5'6 135# around 17% body fat. I don't think eggs with yolks will impact what you're trying to achieve especially if you are hitting your calorie and macro goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I eat 2 eggs for breakfast (vegetable omelet) 4-6 times a week, and would never toss the yolks. Much tastier with them, lots of nutrients, makes the macros in my breakfast more balanced, all good things.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    The yolks is where its at....i.e. probably 80% of the nutrients. Unless you have a major cholesterol problem, you would be wasting the best part of the egg. Eat it. Don't eat the substitute stuff...junk like "bag popcorn".
  • dashley28
    dashley28 Posts: 32 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I eat 2 eggs for breakfast (vegetable omelet) 4-6 times a week, and would never toss the yolks. Much tastier with them, lots of nutrients, makes the macros in my breakfast more balanced, all good things.

That's sounds seriously perfect!
  • dashley28
    dashley28 Posts: 32 Member

Wow thanks for all the great input, some of the comments are so funny! I have low cholesterol so I don't really have to worry about that and I am active probably 6x a week. I eat about 2 eggs regularly probably at least 4-5 times a week. Is it ok to eat yolk that many times or maybe I should be doing some white and some yolk like I'm reading others do. I've never tried the break free that might be a good idea. I seem to be in my caloric goal just fine, I don't usually go over.

Basically I'm mostly trying to gain some muscle with heavy lifting, that's my main focus but I also want to lose a little fat before a trip to Hawaii in 7 weeks so I have a small calorie deficit. I am 29, 5'4' , 128lbs and have a body fat percentage of around 24%. With my stats and goals is it reasonable to eat all my eggs with yolks?

Again you guys are great, I love that I can so quickly get the advice I'm looking for. This app is changing the game for me. :)

All joking aside, i'm not sure what others experiences are with eating eggs with yolks everyday but I eat at the very least two per day and sit 5'6 135# around 17% body fat. I don't think eggs with yolks will impact what you're trying to achieve especially if you are hitting your calorie and macro goals.

That's exactly what I want to hear thanks!!! Especially since you also eat them daily and have success. I just can't stomach only the whites as much and I'm seriously trying to hit my daily protein goals.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm intolerant to egg yolk so have to be careful with how many I eat ...so I mainly eat egg white but I add soft cheese triangle to it and mushrooms and ham for taste and consistency

If I didn't have a mild reaction to yolk I'd eat it more often because of the nutrients

Have you tried duck eggs? Many people who are allergic to chicken eggs can eat duck eggs.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Either or... I buy whites in a carton, never break the egg just for the whites unless I am baking a cake.

It depends on what's for breakfast, what's for snack or what I am cooking... Love them eggs! :):)
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    LOVE the yolks!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Egg yolks=high cholesterol is wrong!!! Egg yolks help lower cholesterol!! But the main thing here is if eating all your yolks put you over your calories for the day then you won't lose fat but if they don't then eat them!!! The yolks contain lots and lots of vitamins and minerals if I ate all my yolks I'd go WAY over so I use only a couple because I love them but I also have an abundance of home grown eggs and my dogs love the yolks so I don't feel like I'm wasting them either!
  • redfoxmike0822
    redfoxmike0822 Posts: 11 Member
    Egg yolks get such a bad rep. They're nutritious and the best dang part of the egg! Eat your yolks children
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    I love yolks - they're the yummy part. Also, the fats in there are healthy and there's even evidence that they help fight "bad" cholesterol (I have no research on hand to back this up- google it, I guess). The only reason to avoid them is to drastically cut back on calories.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Egg yolks big thumbs up. 4 eggs today. 2 morning and 2 at night. The incredible edible egg! :)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,319 Member
    For calories - No Yolk
    For nutrition - Yolk
    You have to find your balance somewhere in the middle. Personally, depending on how vigorous I work out determines my yolk vs. no yolk days.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    People get freaked out by the weirdest things. A large egg is 70-80 calories. If you can't balance that into your diet, that's not an egg problem. You're gonna get cholesterol from any other animal product, likely more than in the egg.

Seriously. Chill out.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I'm pro yolk
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited January 2016
    That's the question on my mind. I know that having just the whites are basically better and that the yolks are full of fat. How crucial is it though, is it really going to make a big difference? I've read conflicting articles. The taste is just so much better with the whole egg lol....

Well, see...fat is an essential nutrient so not something to be really scared of...dietary fat doesn't make you fat, eating too many calories makes you fat.

Also, I wouldn't exactly call an egg yolk "full of fat". Beyond that, the yolk has protein and is a substantial source of other micro nutrients. You get none of those nutrients if you're just eating the white.

I eat whole eggs...if I need to bulk them up I will add whites from a carton, but most of the actual nutrition is in the whole egg.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    To yolk! Mmm. Most of the vitamins and minerals are in the yolk. :smile:
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Yolks are the best part. I almost always eat 2 or 3 whole eggs daily.

Sometimes at the end of a day and I'm low on calories I will eat 1 whole egg (have to have at least one yolk cuz otherwise ew) and several egg whites scrambled with some mushrooms and serrano pepper. My German Shepherd gets the yolks then. He loves eggs.