Dr. said not to get pregnant at this weight

Options
I went to my Drs today - we both are disappointed my weight is back up again. 2 years ago I lost 30lbs, kept it off, and was headed in the right direction. Last year, my mom passed away and I was stressed to the max planning my wedding. Needless to say, my health went on the back burner and now I'm right where I started again. Even after 2+ weeks of sticking to the "new year, new me" resolution and have been back exercising and eating better(ish) again.

I'm 4' 11" and 206lbs on the scale today. I am so frustrated and disappointed. This was the first time that she has told me that it isn't advisable to get pregnant at my weight, and should lose at least 40lbs before thinking of conceiving. A baby is not in the works for a few years (I'm 27), but it makes me sad that even if the want and ability was there, I shouldn't do it.

It took me a year to lose 30lbs. It just seems like a mountainous task to not only get back to where I was, but lose MORE weight, ironically, just to gain weight back from pregnancy.

My Dr hooked me up with a nutritionist, who I'll be seeing in the future. Anyone have any similar stories or support?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    40lbs really isn't that much. It took me about 6 months to lose that, but I had really solid goals and put in the work. What approach did you use last time to lose the weight? It sounds like if you struggled there are some things you could adjust to make it easy. Starting is the hardest part, the rest should be pretty easy.
  • amdi1020
    amdi1020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that you can lose the weight just to get the option back of getting pregnant. It's just one of those things that you have to buckle down and do what you know you need to do. Eat this not that sort of thing. I know that I am going through the same sort of thing, but my doctor didn't tell me not to conceive. In about 6 months last year, I lost 47 lbs (so it can be done). Gained 23 of it back and now I feel like I am starting all over again. I'm currently 5'6 and 250 and my husband and I are looking to conceive soon. I don't want it to be my fault that we can't so I've really been going strong with sticking to diet and my exercise. If you need anyone to talk to, there are so many of us here for ya! We know what you are going through!
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just do your best! Make healthier choices and exercise. I'm 4'8 so I know the struggle of losing weight when you're short...
  • jlchedister
    jlchedister Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and weighed 203 lbs when I got pregnant with my 2nd son. I had a healthy pregnancy and a beautiful perfect little boy. Yes it would be best to be at a healthy weight for your pregnancy, but don't put off living just because you haven't reached your fitness goals. Plus a new little one is great motivation for getting healthy. I've lost 40 lbs since my little guy was born 7 months ago. You can do it!
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I haven't been told specifically that it would be unhealthy to conceive at this point, but I ended up with Gestational Diabetes that required insulin during my last pregnancy and I'm heavier now than I was then. Part of the reason I'm motivated to lose weight is because I want to have more kids, and I want any future pregnancies to be healthier.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good for your doctor for having such a frank conversation with you and good for you for listening to such important advice. Getting in shape first really is MUCH better for your child. You don't necessarily need to gain a lot of weight when you are pregnant--there is a lot of new data out there about this and is is something to discuss with your GYN and maybe a nutritionist when you are ready.

Don't be sad--use this as motivation!

Start tracking, start moving and slowly increase your goals as you progress. You can DO this.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are having this conversation. There is a huge body of scientific evidence showing that children conceived in overweight moms grow up to have metabolic dysfunction themselves, even if they are not big. Dropping to a normal BMI helps a lot. Being overweight is not simply an issue for conception and having a healthy pregnancy, but the long term health of your kids is involved. By the way - not enough info is yet available, but it sure looks like fat dads also have kids that have health problems as adults.