Is there anything you don't track?

I walk to and from work every day. Depending on the weather and my speed, it takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes total. Sometimes, if I'm booking it, it can get my heart rate pumping, especially since my travel TO work is entirely uphill.

I don't log it though because it seems minimal and I don't want it to count as much as, say, my workouts 3-4x a week.

Is there anything you specifically don't track?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    I don't track any exercise because I already spend enough time logging food. I have a pretty good idea of my TDEE and my routine is pretty much constant so there are no fluctuations I need to worry about.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    I don't track walking my dog even though we go for 20-30 minute powerwalks. I only track if I hit the hiking trails with him.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I don't log anything.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I only track exercise that I've done specifically as exercise. I figure that things like walking the dogs, shoveling the driveway etc compensate for inaccuracies I may have logging food etc (I think of them as my insurance calories)

Depending on your weight and the distance you're waling the calorie expenditure might not be that significant either (the fact you used 10 - 20 minutes suggest to me that it's less than one mile each way) Runners World offered the following to calculate net calories expended walking (the uphill portion probably burns a bit more....)

.30 x weight (in lbs) x distance (in miles)

Think of it as your guilt free treat every now and again!

• Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    There's lots through the day I don't track. A lot of my cooking and cleaning, bouncing on my Pilates ball with my baby daughter, or anything that I only do for a few minutes.
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    edited January 2016
    I use a Fitbit to track my steps. I don't add other exercise specifically unless it is something that takes some real effort, and limits the number of steps that would be tracked (like bellydancing or lifting weights).
  • FromAshes2Beast
    FromAshes2Beast Posts: 114 Member
    The only things I log are weights and if I use my elliptical. Other than that, it's just a part of my normal day. Seems to work for me. Depends on what you have set for your activity level as well.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    I log pretty much everything because my calorie goal is based on being sedentary.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Some days I don't track my food
    lazy
    bored. I do watch what I eat on those days.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    I don't really track calories from exercises that much, only longer runs or really long walks. Everything else (like shorter walks, exercises at home, and other similar stuff) I don't write in simply because I don't think it's worth it. I don't plan on eating those extra calories anyways.
  • onespeed2016
    onespeed2016 Posts: 2 Member
    I track any specific CV training that I do such as running or spin biking. Things such as walking to work, sit ups, press ups etc don't get added. As an earlier poster said, it's good to have those calories in reserve so you have less chance of miscalculating something and actually end up putting on weight.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    beamie2687 wrote: »

Resistance training, commute cycling
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    I don't track grocery shopping, or walking back and forth to the photocopier at work, or housework ... or doing a few weights in my bathroom (my bathroom is massive and I've got a collection of light dumbbells in there which I'll use now and then for 5 or 10 min).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    beamie2687 wrote: »
    I walk to and from work every day. Depending on the weather and my speed, it takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes total. Sometimes, if I'm booking it, it can get my heart rate pumping, especially since my travel TO work is entirely uphill.

I don't log it though because it seems minimal and I don't want it to count as much as, say, my workouts 3-4x a week.

You wouldn't want to log this anyway given that your activity level is going to include stuff like this. Even a sedentary activity level accounts for up to 5,000 steps. You would only want to log, for the purpose of eating back calories, deliberate activity that is outside of that which is included in your activity level in order to account for said activity.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Since it seems my calorie counting is usually pretty accurate I track exercising- biking and weights, but not other stuff. I've started to track my music playing as it seems to burn a fair number of calories, but only if it's 1-2 hours or more. Under an hour is just part of life. I'm also set to sedentary, since I don't seem to walk much.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2016
    I log food only a few days every few months. I log exercise only because the friends on my feed like to see it. I use a Fitbit for steps to make sure I keep moving.

This doesn't work for most people but I've lost 127 lbs & still going, this way. It works because I'm consistent in what I eat & how I exercise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I never tracked weight training. I also don't do cardio, so when I do I usually don't log it because I'm not consistent enough to make a difference.