Does anybody ever manage to get there daily recommended amount of potassium? ??.

Hi I'm Anna

I'm dare I say it enjoying using this app and even more surprisingly enjoying healthy eating 'who'd know'!!!!
My daughter had just gone veditarian but eat fish also so. So this whole new eating lifestyle has been quiet exciting. I love cooking and I love a chalange.
I'd love to hear from others swap receipt ideas and if it's possible to manage to fill up my potassium line. I also don't like pototoes which I guess doesn't help...
I am now obsessed with potassium! !!! Ha ha ha
anyway looking forward to meeting equally boncers people...

Replies

• annavpayne
    annavpayne Posts: 10 Member
    annavpayne wrote: »
    Hi I'm Anna

I'm dare I say it enjoying using this app and even more surprisingly enjoying healthy eating 'who'd know'!!!!
    My daughter had just gone veditarian but eats fish also this whole new eating lifestyle has been quiet exciting. I love cooking and I love a chalange.
    I'd love to hear from others swap ideas and if it's possible to manage to fill up my potassium line. I also don't like pototoes which I guess doesn't help...
    I am now obsessed with potassium! !!! Ha ha ha
    anyway looking forward to meeting equally boncers people...

Ps I am dyslexic so please excuse the errors
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    beans, dark leafy greens, coconut water, squash/gourd, yogurt (but not greek style yogurt according to labels I've looked at), bananas, fish, avocado
  • annavpayne
    Thank you I'm eating a lot of butternut squash fish and spinach.
    I'd never thought of coconut water and I didn't know that Greek hogarth wasn't good.
    Thanks for your help.
    I'm trying very hard to get a balanced diet and potassium was the one thing I always seem low on.
    Thanks you
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    There is no need to meet a recommendation on potassium - in reality, the body needs are more based on a potassium / salt balance and unless you are overeating salt SIGNIFICANTLY or have a blood tested potassium deficiency, are in extreme endurance training you do not need to track or meet potassium dietary levels.

No RDA.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Greek yogurt is great stuff imo, but it just doesn't seem to have any potassium. I wouldn't use it as a potassium source
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Potassium is not a label requirement so many if not most products don't list how much potassium is in a serving. Chances are very high that you're not nearly as deficient as you think you are.
  • PhotoSam
    PhotoSam Posts: 10 Member
    Bananas can quickly meet your potassium requirement. Just be careful of the sugar intake. Although naturally occurring sugars are better than added, and have fiber to help control absorption, too much of any sugar can be detrimental.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    Phrick wrote: »
    Potassium is not a label requirement so many if not most products don't list how much potassium is in a serving. Chances are very high that you're not nearly as deficient as you think you are.

Yup, many people will find that they're eating far more than MFP or other trackers might suggest, as food labels will not list potassium, so it doesn't get entered into the tracker and doesn't end up in your totals.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    How about potatoes? Even white ones are highly nutritious and contain potassium. Sweet potatoes and other tubers have some too. :smiley:
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    I actually tracked potassium on paper for 2 weeks. MFP does not do a good job. I was consuming double.
    V-8 low sodium has a lot of potassium.
    My skim milk had a lot of potassium that MFP was not tracking.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Phrick wrote: »

This!
  • jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2016
    Just a guess on my part, but I don't see potassium as a goal to meet. Potassium chloride is used as a salt substitute in many products to lower their sodium content. I view the tracking of potassium in that regard. In how it contributes overall to my salt intake.

Similar, to ignoring fruits as part of my sugar totals, I view a combo of sodium and potassium as my salt content, not a goal to meet, but a line to stay below. This would obviously apply to foods substituting potassium for sodium, not natural products like bananas and potatoes.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Potassium is extremely hard to actually be deficient in. The recommendation of 4700 mg (which is not actually an RDA) are because in hypertensive individuals there is a benefit to greater potassium and lower sodium intake. In individuals with a healthy blood pressure and good kidneys, there is no benefit to actually getting anywhere near that much potassium.
  • annavpayne
    Phew thanks in have been trying so hard to reach the limits set and I've got about half way...
    I am the only person ever it feels like who doesn't like potatoes. ..
    My bp us good.
    Thanks foe your time.
    X
  • annavpayne
    jnunez1963 wrote: »
    Just a guess on my part, but I don't see potassium as a goal to meet. Potassium chloride is used as a salt substitute in many products to lower their sodium content. I view the tracking of potassium in that regard. In how it contributes overall to my salt intake.

Similar, to ignoring fruits as part of my sugar totals, I view a combo of sodium and potassium as my salt content, not a goal to meet, but a line to stay below. This would obviously apply to foods substituting potassium for sodium, not natural products like bananas and potatoes.

• annavpayne
    annavpayne wrote: »

• annavpayne
    I actually tracked potassium on paper for 2 weeks. MFP does not do a good job. I was consuming double.
    V-8 low sodium has a lot of potassium.
    My skim milk had a lot of potassium that MFP was not tracking.
    There is no need to meet a recommendation on potassium - in reality, the body needs are more based on a potassium / salt balance and unless you are overeating salt SIGNIFICANTLY or have a blood tested potassium deficiency, are in extreme endurance training you do not need to track or meet potassium dietary levels.

No RDA.

• annavpayne
    Thanks I drink skimmed milk every day so that's a relief.
    My BP is normal most of the time but sometime spikes and I pass out. The opposit to most people. So I was hoping that if improved my diet and weight it would improve. The only nutrient I'm low on was potassium, which also regulates BP.
    Thanks for your help.
  • annavpayne

• annavpayne
    Hey thanks guys for all your replies they've been really helpful.

I love this app I think it's better than any other diet I've been on.

Best thing it's free....