Tips for Kicking Alcohol?

Anybody out there got any tips for kicking alcohol?
That's my biggest vice. Cookies, cake, candy, I can seem to avoid without a problem.

But that glass (or two) of wine at the end of the day....

I used to be a lot thinner before I turned 21. I think there may be some correlation there...

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    A glass of red wine or white wine at the end of the day could help you mentally stay on track, but you should plan on logging that ahead and sticking to what you have logged. If you don't want to do away with it completely and can't fit it in daily you could plan on having a couple of glasses one night per week.
  • I gain weight easily with drinking. So instead I allow myself one night of cheats for drinking. Usually Saturday. If you really want that glass of wine nightly just log it ahead and drink more water. Alcohol makes you bloat, water flushes the bloat. Also do research an find the "healthiest" wine option!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Try cutting it with some kind of diet soda? Get some the taste and volume but with less calories?
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    The way to kick it is to decide each day that you're not going to have any that day. If you feel an urge, then just tell yourself again that you aren't going to have any today. Don't worry about tomorrow, the weekend, or any other day.

I am a major brew hound. I brew beer, I drink a frightening amount of it. But there are times where I just tell myself, "Not today," and it works really well for me. Good luck in your endeavor.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Don't! Decrease Your Intake At Best, But Don't Drop It. Log The Beverages And Be Mindful Of Your Intake. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    if it's not a problem(the drinking), you can just consider it part of your calorie count.
    or just try one day a week w/o, and decrease to an amount you are happy with.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I'm no quitter...I just fit it in. I'd rather have my wine that food most of the time...
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    I'm no quitter...I just fit it in. I'd rather have my wine that food most of the time...

I think we just became best friends.
    I agree though. If it's important enough to you, count it in the morning. Then assess the calories you have left and prioritize.
    Or, if you want just the taste of it (I love red wine and would be happy just sniffing the crap out of it) have a smaller glass and try to make it last an hour or however long and savour the sips a little more.
  • ekfulton
    ekfulton Posts: 24 Member
    I love that glass of wine after work as well. Trouble is it usually turned into 2 - 3 glasses! I just decided to stay away from alcohol until I am at my goal weight and then I will reassess. I set my fitbit alarm to buzz me at 4 PM everyday to remind me I would rather be fit than drink the wine. It works for me. You have to want to be fit more than you want the wine.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    I agree with everyone. If you can fit it in and want it.. fit it in. If you don't want it and can't stop for whatever reason, AA.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    You could try not buying it, except for maybe a small bottle on a Friday so you can look forward to it. You could try having half a glass of wine and mixing it with diet lemonade or soda water. Or just log it and work into your daily allowance.

I think the medical advice is not to give your body a few alcohol-free days a week (or at least it is in the UK) so you may want to find something low calorie a few times a week which sort of replaces alcohol for you (I really like elderflower cordial with soda water).
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Anybody out there got any tips for kicking alcohol?
    That's my biggest vice. Cookies, cake, candy, I can seem to avoid without a problem.

But that glass (or two) of wine at the end of the day....

I used to be a lot thinner before I turned 21. I think there may be some correlation there...

If it is not a problem with alcohol, then you just have to fit it in, like any other calorie source, or cut it out, like any other calorie source taking you over your limits. Just don't open the bottle? You're looking at 70-120 calories per glass, no? If you really want that glass (or two) make it fit. If it's not a problem, it's a habit. Start one night a week, (Wednesday?) As "WINE FREE". See how it goes. See if it works weight wise.

If it is a problem with alcohol, in that you CAN NOT stop, there are several programs you can join.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    What do you drink (apart from the wine you mentioned) , and why do you want to kick it? If you do not have an issue with alcohol then work it into your plan. Low calorie beers, white wine spritzers (my fave is lots of ice cubes and fill it up with sparkling water, I get the taste but half the calories) A large glass of water between each alcoholic drinks. One shot in a glass instead of two. I measure mine out.

I do not drink every day, but if I want a drink i have enough in my allowance to have a drink.
  • boegeholda
    boegeholda Posts: 18 Member
    I am having the same issue! At home, it's way easier because I always have a cup of tea or some soda water with lemon near me and I'm content drinking that instead of booze! Social situations kill me because I want to drink if everyone else is, especially if there's a new beer or cocktail to try. I'm trying to reduce the amount I drink at a time, and also having dry days in the week helps cut back on alcohol and calories. My advice to you is find another fun drink to treat yourself with at the end of the day, and save your alcohol calories for social events or Friday night. Now...how to drink less when I'm with my friends...
  • bigplantnerd
    bigplantnerd Posts: 31 Member
    I feel ya on that. I'm 7 days quit and it's tough, I'm just gritting my teeth through it, honestly. I realized I would never peel off the last 15 pounds drinking like I was, which is daily and heavily for the last 13 years excluding my pregnancy. Basically the way the math came out is I could drink and eat nothing, absolutely nothing, or quit and be able to have food. It's a choice I'm still grating against. I have gone from the original party animal to a piece of dry, bland toast.

Just keep going. If you are able maybe reward yourself with a drink or two a few nights a week, but just be sure to build it into your calorie count. And for mixed drinks, seriously measure it! I thought I was on track with vodka and diet tonic water, 70 cal per ounce of vodka, easy right? Not really, because I soon realized that if I free poured I was putting 3-4 ounces into a drink. And boom, that's where my chunk came from.

If I can do it, I swear anyone can!
  • lovelymusiclady
    lovelymusiclady Posts: 25 Member
    Thanks for the advice everybody!
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Speaking from experience, cutting out alcohol completely means a lifestyle change. If you really don't want to drink at all anymore, get it out of the house, and stay away from social drinking situations for a while. Don't go to bars. If you routinely do anything like dinner with friends and have a glass or two, you'll need to stop that as well until you've adapted to new habits. It doesn't mean no socializing, but it will be easier to have friends come to your (alcohol-free) house. I'll also warn you that going without alcohol for long periods of time can make you adverse to it - even the smell might make you cringe, and dishes cooked with alcohols may become incredibly unappetizing even though the actual alcohol gets cooked off. If you felt like you had a drinking problem, and it doesn't sound like you do, the effort would be absolutely worth it, but from what I'm reading in your posts, it's probably better to just cut down and work the rest of your calories around it.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Give this a try. Go to party where everyone is drinking. This is easier during the end of year holiday season, but there are parties year round.

STAY SOBER. Drink nothing alcoholic. NOTHING! Have a club soda, a plain coke, water, iced tea. Observe your friends and other attendees as the night wears on and they slowly slide down alcohol chute, slowly, but surely, making fools of themselves. You act the same way when drunk. This and DWI's can kill you, your friends or, at best, severely crimp your future social/work future if caught.
  • Katieweso
    Katieweso Posts: 6 Member
    ekfulton wrote: »
    I love that glass of wine after work as well. Trouble is it usually turned into 2 - 3 glasses! I just decided to stay away from alcohol until I am at my goal weight and then I will reassess. I set my fitbit alarm to buzz me at 4 PM everyday to remind me I would rather be fit than drink the wine. It works for me. You have to want to be fit more than you want the wine.

Why didn't I think about doing this with my fitbit?! That one glass after work usually turns into a whole bottle.
  • mgodfrey0202
    mgodfrey0202 Posts: 35 Member
    If you only drink a glass of wine, I see no problem as long as you consider it as a part of your regular diet, meaning, you plan for it just like a meal plan. But...

1. If you have other munches along with it other than dinner, then you may want to consider some low-calorie snacks like cucumber, celery, carrot, tomato, etc. (You get the idea.)

Or

2. If you can't stop at the first glass and have another one often, then you may want to exercise your will power a bit more. If it is an addiction problem, then that's a whole another issue. You may need to find a proper support channel.

Keep in mind that alcohol is absorbed much faster than other nutrients and used as an energy source first before our body uses other macro-nutrients. So, if you had about 100 calories in wine and about 100 calories in munches, your body will use 100 calories from alcohol first before it even reaches for other calories from the munches.

Hope you can incorporate your favorite part of the day safely into your fitness goal. :smile: