Green Tea

Has anyone had any personal experience with Green Tea actually helping with weight loss? I added Green Tea to my daily drinks to change up the daily water and milk in the morning. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    No. I tried it. Nothing. CICO, plain and simple.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    green tea nor any other "weight loss" food has any magical properties. drink it if you like it or it helps get your water intake up but other than that it wont help with weight loss. if it did I would buy stock in green tea :smile:
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    If you're drinking it in place of milk, then you'll be consuming fewer calories, since it has none (assuming you're not adding milk/sugar/etc). It helps with feeling full like any other 0 calorie liquid, has antioxidants, and improves insulin sensitivity when you drink it with meals. Its definitely a healthy thing to add to your day as long as you don't have caffeine issues. But other than that, it won't affect your weight loss.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    In the past, I used it as a habit replacement where I would make green tea instead of boredom eating. It worked in that sense, but I would have had the same results with any kind of tea, or even something like taking a nap. There's nothing magical about it,but it gave me something to do instead of eating when I wasn't actually hungry.
  • fletchleg13
    fletchleg13 Posts: 23 Member
    I have it to cut down on my coffee intake (I was on 5-6 lattes a day). I'm not a massive fan of the taste but I find when I drank 1 or 2 cups a day with diet and exercise I did lose weight consistently previously. Whether that was due to the tea or not is anyones guess.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    I like it because it has antioxidants. Good life habit. Nice to have water with taste. 2 teas a day.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    There is no magic item to increase weight loss. If you like green tea, drink it, but it has no benefit such as increased weight loss.

The only magic formula is to consume less calories than your body burns to lose weight.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    It won't make you lose weight, but it is good for you! I've been switching out my morning coffee with creamer for green tea with honey and lemon a few days a week.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Think about those countries where people constantly drink green tea. Do they have weight issues? Yes they do, and it's getting worse (in general) compared to their own stats from 100 years ago. So green tea is a good choice of beverage (if you don't add sugar) when there's no underlying health issue, but no, green tea is not a magical weight-loss helper.
  • Graceraeg
    Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
    I drink all kinds of tea. Green tea, black tea, lemon ginger, and chamomile mostly. It can help curb appetite when cravings come. Increased fluid intake does help with weight loss as it makes you feel full and keeps you hydrated. Sipping on green tea is a lot healthier than sipping on soda if you don't use sugar.
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    I've been drinking a pitcher of iced green tea per day for years (brewed with stevia, not the store-bought kind) and nothing special has happened weight wise.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Graceraeg wrote: »
    I drink all kinds of tea. Green tea, black tea, lemon ginger, and chamomile mostly. It can help curb appetite when cravings come. Increased fluid intake does help with weight loss as it makes you feel full and keeps you hydrated. Sipping on green tea is a lot healthier than sipping on soda if you don't use sugar.

You are correct but the question wasn't about increased fluid intake, it was about green tea. Green tea has no magical properties.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Nothing is magic.

People are always SO disappointed when they ask how I lost weight, and I say diet and exercise. Really? Did they really think the weight loss fairy paid several visits to my house at night?
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    I feel like green tea (without sugar) with a slice of fresh lemon boosts my metabolisam and gives me more energy. I also like the taste. I don't know if the green tea alone is helping with weight loss but in combination with balanced diet and exercise it could help. Depend on the person tho, we all react differently to different food.
    If you like to drink it do it, if you can't stand it, don't.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited January 2016
    GsKiki wrote: »
    I feel like green tea (without sugar) with a slice of fresh lemon boosts my metabolisam and gives me more energy. I also like the taste. I don't know if the green tea alone is helping with weight loss but in combination with balanced diet and exercise it could help. Depend on the person tho, we all react differently to different food.
    If you like to drink it do it, if you can't stand it, don't.

I feel like 3 slices of bacon with a side of eggs boosts my metabolism and gives me more energy. I also like the taste. I don't know if bacon and eggs alone are helping with weight loss, but in combination with a balanced diet caloric deficit and exercise, it could will help.

I made a few edits, but the gist is still the same.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I drink 2-4 cups of green tea each morning at work because I like it and get bored with water. I don't drink coffee, so this is my morning hot drink. I have been doing this for a couple of years and it has zero effect on my weight.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    GsKiki wrote: »
    I feel like green tea (without sugar) with a slice of fresh lemon boosts my metabolisam.

I'd like to see the science to prove that one!

Green tea (or any tea) won't help with weight loss. Eating less calories than you burn in a day will.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Does anyone else drink green tea and not enjoy it? haha... I kid, but plain green tea is gross to me. I love flavored! It's refreshing in the morning, and feels lighter than drinking coffee to me, so I drink it. My mind thinks it's making me less hungry in the afternoon before dinner, so I won't tell myself different. The mind is a powerful thing :) As for weight loss, I'd say no. I drink quite a bit of it and have noticed zero change.
  • BrittanyFarrell1
    BrittanyFarrell1 Posts: 25 Member
    I wasn't looking for magical weight loss. I was just wondering if the stories were true. I had already assumed they weren't. I know it's suppose to help with your metabolism. And no I use 1 packet of equal, Splenda, or stevie when I drink it.
  • Short answer is no.
    It's good to change up boring old water, so if you like it, have at it. There's nothing out there that boosts metabolism though.