Ladies...how many inches did you lose off your calves?

MrsGreco
MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
Hey ladies! (and gentleman if they would like to participate also :) )

I was wonder how many inches did you lose off your calves and how much weight have you lost?

I'm on my journey, currently weighing in at 273 with a 19" calf (I'm 5'7") My goal weight it 165 and hopefully 17" calf or smaller. I've been told my calve will probably not shrink much.

Replies

• G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    I forgot to measure them before weight loss :cry:

But based on high calf boots, I would guess at least an inch at their widest, even more nearer the ankle. My calf actually has that muscle shape now :smile:

32 lbs lost, 1 year weight lifting.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    I hate to say it, but....

This isn't so much about how many inches I lost, but gained. Right now I'm in about a size 16 pants and I have a 19.5 inch calf. Obviously I can't buy boots off the shelf (I'm sure you know my pain!!); I do have a few pairs but I had to special order super extra wide calf boots :lol:. But, before I had kids, I was a size 8/10 in pants...heavier than I wanted to be but overall very average-sized, and I STILL couldn't buy boots off the shelf. Not by a long shot. Not even if I went to Lane Bryant and tried on their widest calf versions. I never did get a pair that fit me (I wasn't as savvy with internet shopping back then in 2006, lol), but anything I tried on in a shoe store wouldn't even zip past my ankle, which is pretty similar results to right now. So, I can surmise that my calf measurement didn't go down more than maybe an inch at best, even being 4 sizes and about 50lbs lighter. On the other hand, I know a woman who is probably a size 22 and she has some of the slimmest calves I've ever seen and can wear any boot there is.

I think some people are just predisposed to have bigger calves no matter what their weight or body fat is - of course you can improve it, but there's only so much you can do. For me, I carry almost all of my weight in my lower body, and even my upper arms are way huge, so I think it's just how I'm made. Dropping down to a 17" calf seems pretty reasonable for you with your stats, though, to be honest - that would be a good goal for me, too. Good luck!!!
  • ccobra
    ccobra Posts: 24 Member
    I can't tell you exactly how many inches I've lost because MFP only lets you look back at measurements over the past year, but I went from being unable to zip boots around my calf (in 2013) to having all boots be too big on my calf (since 2014). My calves are now about 13 inches.
  • MrsGreco
    Thank you!! Yes the pain of having to custom order all your tall boots. Ugh, I hate it.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    It's really hard to know where you'll lose weight and inches but it's likely your calves will shrink some and possible you will lose 2 inches but a lot of it comes down to genetics. My calves definitely got smaller after losing weight as I could not fit into normal width boots early on but could as I got closer to goal weight. Even though I run and do a lot of other cardio and strength that involves legs and calves, I find they toned up more than they got bigger. Your calves may also be the most muscular when you're heavier because they are carrying more weight, which is another reason they slim down after weight loss.

Anyway, all that to say- too early to really know, but good luck!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited January 2016
    In my 80 pound loss I went from 19 inch to 13.5 inch calves. I do lots and lots of walking and lifting.

It was frustrating barely being able into wide calf boots. Now my calves are too small for some tall boots and hard to stay up! Grr.

Good luck to you!
  • MrsGreco
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    In my 80 pound loss I went from 19 inch to 13.5 inch calves. I do lots and lots of walking and lifting.

It was frustrating barely being able into wide calf boots. Now my calves are too small for some tall boots and hard to stay up! Grr.

Good luck to you!

Wow! That's amazing. Congrats on your success. Thank you, I have a long road ahead of me...just taking it one day at a time.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I don't believe my calves changed more than an half inch with 100lbs lost
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Forgot to put bells on them - oops those are not the same calves :wink:
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    This time last year 18.5, now 17.5. So 1 inch after a 67 lb. loss. I am 5 7.5 and 208 lbs. But even when I was 145-150 lbs, I still had a hard time finding boots... and I really like boots.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    edited January 2016
    I've lost about an inch or 1.5 off the widest part but more closer to my knee--not sure how much as I didn't think to measure there. I've lost almost 60 lbs. But they are still pretty big--I can squeeze into some normal boots if they have elastic.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited January 2016
    11 kg/ 22 lb down and about 1 cm lost on each side. We have skinny calves running in the family (female cousins love it, male cousins hate it). So not much change since I started with 33.5-34 cm.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    I was 260.6 lbs October 2014
    With calves of 21 and 23 inch ( have a leg injury at one leg so that one was always much thicker than the other).

Now between 144 lbs to 150 lbs ( average is 145 lbs) and calves are both around the 16 inch

95069916.png

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    287 in May 2014 with an 18" L. and 18.5" R. calves at largest point.

159 now meausuring 14" calves at largest point. So 4 or so inches lost.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    At 165 my calves were 16.5 inches. At 128 they were 15. Mmmmmaybe 14.5 but I don't think so. Big calves for life.
  • kfdcem
    kfdcem Posts: 17 Member
    At my highest (above 275) they were about 19-19.5. I'm nearing 160 now and they're 15.5. I'm 5'4", for reference.

I'm hoping for a smidge more before I hit goal, but big ol' calves are kinda my thing, so I'm not holding my breath.
  • mimigingerbread
    mimigingerbread Posts: 43 Member
    Didn't measure but couldn't wear boots before my weight loss and can now. (50lb loss).
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    268lbs to 142lbs so far. Calves were 18", now 12.5". Got boots for Christmas that are over the calves and wearing them everyday for the first time in my life :)
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    MrsGreco wrote: »
    rainbow198 wrote: »

Good luck to you!

Wow! That's amazing. Congrats on your success. Thank you, I have a long road ahead of me...just taking it one day at a time.

Thanks so much! You are right...one day at a time. It didn't happen overnight, but I had/have to work at it everyday.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I actually stopped training calves at the gym too. My program calls for it twice per week, muscle or not-I don't need them to ever be any bigger.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!