Sam's OMAD thread

samgamgee
samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
Well, here we are! I won't introduce myself all over again as I've done it in the intros thread, so let's jump straight in with Day 1!

Day 1 - Tuesday 12th January 2016

I bought a new jar of instant coffee a few days ago, and man am I glad that I did! Not eating in the daytime wasn't too bad - I don't usually eat breakfast so I had a black coffee with 5 ml of vanilla syrup around mid morning, and a coffee with 25 mls of knock-off Baileys mid afternoon (I don't usually have anything in my coffee but I'm using up the Christmas stocks, hehe), and drank plenty of water. I walked on the treadmill a bit, and even ran for two minutes (it wasn't my Couch to 5 K day, but I just felt like it). We went out to Nando's to eat as we were going to see a film (The Hateful Eight, which was great!) at this cool cinema where all of the chairs are super comfy recliners.

My One Meal A Day was a quarter chicken with hot marinade (I left most of the skin), a portion of peri peri salted chips (fries for the Americans), a small portion of creamy mashed potato, a little pot of peri peri mayonnaise, and plenty of hot sauce, and it was accompanied by a large glass of red wine. In the cinema shortly afterwards I had another glass of red, medium this time.

I weighed myself this morning, and you guys, I've dropped a whole pound. Just out of the blue! It's bizarre, my deficit for this week definitely isn't enough to lose that much, and I even went over my calories yesterday. I don't think it's dehydration from the wine as I had that early in the evening and drank plenty of water afterwards, and I don't think it's that I have less food weight in my system, because I consumed about the same mass as I would usually throughout the day. I've been hovering around losing and gaining the same couple of pounds for the last month or so, but in small increments, so maybe this is one of the fabled whooshes. I know it's all about playing the long game and sticking with the programme, but whatever this is, it's a nice confidence boost after the first day.

Today is Week 5 Day 1 of Couch to 5 K, and I think I'm going to time it so I run it (well, jog it in my case) just before my partner gets home from work so I can eat fairly soon afterwards. I think tonight we're having curry but in a fairly calorie controlled portion - shouldn't be more than 1000 so we'll see how I feel after that.

Time to sign off and go to do some housework - just finished my coffee and sipping a pint of water. Cheers and have a great day!

Replies

• Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    I confess I had to look up peri-peri sauce, too. Sounds delicious. I like that we are an international group -- I learned about "Maribou bubbly" from Kitty Gonzalez.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    very good start Sam =) Nev,,, did you find marabou bubbly caramel on google images?? hehe that's the one I have =)
  • Nevadaden
    I did!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Well done Sam, you're doing great.

Was that the Showcase or Everyman Cinema that you went to?
  • samgamgee
    Cheers all! Marabou Bubbly looks gooood.

Craignev, it was the Showcase! First time we'd been there, those chairs are crazy comfy.

Day 2 - Wednesday 13th Jan

Yesterday went pretty well! Coffee in the daytime. I had a couple of brief headaches which went away quickly, and Week 5 Day 1 of Couch to 5 K was good. I didn't notice any extra difficulties from doing it without eating.

My one problem was that dinner was a bit too small. Chicken tikka masala, chicken jalfrezi, pilau rice and a small naan, but in shop bought portions so there wasn't quite enough to fill up my calories. Wouldn't usually mind being under but with doing 10,000 steps a day and Couch to 5 K I feel like I definitely need to hit my calorie goal at the moment! I had a few small chocolate/sweet bars, a 61 calorie Babybel cheese, a few gherkins and 8 grams of crunchy peanut butter (yes, I needed to fill a few extra cals and worked out the exact amount hehe).

Though the chocolate was nice I felt like my body could have done with more 'useful' food (duh) so in the future I'm going to make sure that I add an appropriate extra side to dinner if it's too small - like, I could have had a couple of samosas/bhajis with the curry.

I had a bit of a funny tummy (mild cramps and bloating) both last night and the night before, which is odd because I am used to eating meals of this size. Maybe it's to do with the not eating beforehand?

This morning I hopped on the scales ( I know some prefer to weigh themselves infrequently but for me, seeing the daily fluctuations from sodium intake/hormones etc actually takes away from the power that number could hold, having plenty of data helps me keep things in perspective) and swore in surprise - I haven't been to the loo properly yet so there's definitely food sitting in my system (TMI?) but I'm down another 0.4 of a pound. Interesting!

Tonight's dinner is spicy chicken breast wraps with coleslaw and maybe some chips (fries). It's supposed to start snowing soon but only for a couple of hours so I'm going to make my coffee and keep an eye on the window! Have a good one folks.
  • mittenswillet
    Well done Sam! Keep it up=)
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    I agree, Sam, the weight loss "for no reason at all" is mighty confidence-building!! You're doing great. I'm having samosas tonight, which is a change from my usual run-of-the-mill whatever-I-can-lay-my-hands-on food.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    samgamgee wrote: »
    Cheers all! Marabou Bubbly looks gooood.

Craignev, it was the Showcase! First time we'd been there, those chairs are crazy comfy.

Day 2 - Wednesday 13th Jan

Yesterday went pretty well! Coffee in the daytime. I had a couple of brief headaches which went away quickly, and Week 5 Day 1 of Couch to 5 K was good. I didn't notice any extra difficulties from doing it without eating.

My one problem was that dinner was a bit too small. Chicken tikka masala, chicken jalfrezi, pilau rice and a small naan, but in shop bought portions so there wasn't quite enough to fill up my calories. Wouldn't usually mind being under but with doing 10,000 steps a day and Couch to 5 K I feel like I definitely need to hit my calorie goal at the moment! I had a few small chocolate/sweet bars, a 61 calorie Babybel cheese, a few gherkins and 8 grams of crunchy peanut butter (yes, I needed to fill a few extra cals and worked out the exact amount hehe).

Though the chocolate was nice I felt like my body could have done with more 'useful' food (duh) so in the future I'm going to make sure that I add an appropriate extra side to dinner if it's too small - like, I could have had a couple of samosas/bhajis with the curry.

I had a bit of a funny tummy (mild cramps and bloating) both last night and the night before, which is odd because I am used to eating meals of this size. Maybe it's to do with the not eating beforehand?

This morning I hopped on the scales ( I know some prefer to weigh themselves infrequently but for me, seeing the daily fluctuations from sodium intake/hormones etc actually takes away from the power that number could hold, having plenty of data helps me keep things in perspective) and swore in surprise - I haven't been to the loo properly yet so there's definitely food sitting in my system (TMI?) but I'm down another 0.4 of a pound. Interesting!

Tonight's dinner is spicy chicken breast wraps with coleslaw and maybe some chips (fries). It's supposed to start snowing soon but only for a couple of hours so I'm going to make my coffee and keep an eye on the window! Have a good one folks.

For some good nutrition that is satisfying, easy to make and isn't a lot of calories, I make a fruit-yoghurt smoothie most nights. I use a frozen banana, milk, couple of scoops of plain yoghurt and whatever else I have in the freezer which right now is frozen blackberries, strawberries, peaches, and cherries. I mix all that up and drink er down. It feels satisfying and isn't a ton of calories for the amount you get to take in.
  • samgamgee
    Thanks all! Blambo, that sounds like a great idea.

Day 3 - Thurs 14th Jan

Day 3 was the toughest so far, probably because my meal the night before wasn't quite as filling, but I made it. I also had fewer calorific additions to my coffee during the day, which might have made a difference. My stomach was growling loudly around lunch time, and a headache hit me around 3.30 which took a while to fade.

At 4.15 I was feeling really light headed and useless, so I had an 85 calorie tomato and basil cup soup which really helped. Dinner was spicy chicken wraps with coleslaw and chips, followed up with a 3 slice pack of apple and sultana Go Ahead slices. Felt nice and full, came in just under my calorie goal for the day.

Brief tummy troubles again last night, hoping I'm over the worst of it! Today I have some work to do, hopefully the majority of the writing will be fine fuelled by coffee. Couch to 5 K W5D2 later, looking forward to it! Have a good day.

(Oh, and I'm 0.2 lbs down this morning. 18.2 left to go!)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Day 4 is the height of the worst. After that, you should see a bit more relief. But hey, anything worth doing requires sacrifice.
  • samgamgee
    Funnily enough, yesterday was pretty great! Maybe because I've eaten this way at various times in my life before it's taken my body a little less time to get into the swing of things.

Day 4 - Friday 15th Jan. Not that hungry, only had one black coffee. Had a beer before dinner, which was a fried chicken wrap with cheesy chips. Didn't have time to do my Couch to 5 K session before dinner like I usually do so I waited 5 hours til I felt less full, and did it just before bed. Week 5 Day 2 is two 8 minute blocks of running, and it went really well. I'm down another 0.2 lbs this morning (actually maybe more as I weighed myself earlier in the day than I usually do. 22 down, 18 left to go).

Today I'm going home to have a belated Xmas celebration with my side of the family (for various reasons we didn't make it down there in December) so dinner will be at an Italian restaurant with red wine and good beer. The beer part will start before the meal so I think I will be having a late lunch today to line my stomach before the drinking starts!

Cheers all, have a great Saturday.
  • mittenswillet
    Sounds like your doing awesome Sam =0)
  • samgamgee
    Thanks Kitty!

This weekend was spent back home with family, eating and drinking lots. Had two meals a day which was interesting as I felt a bit sluggish and bloated from eating so much. Back on the horse today. The other half is home from work today and has just made himself some noodles for lunch, I must admit that I had to make myself scarce while he ate it! I shall have another black coffee in a bit, and tonight's dinner will be filled Yorkshires. Hope everyone had a good weekend.
  • Nevadaden
    I have the same issue, Sam. My significant other eats breakfast every day -- I've never been a breakfast eater so that doesn't bother me. But on the weekends if I'm home when he's eating lunch, that can be a trial, if it is something I like. I generally try to make myself scarce if that's the case.
  • samgamgee
    Hope everyone's well! Hello from the Pit of Death aka the house where we both have a cold. He's got it worse than me, but I'm pretty exhausted and under the weather. I've had a snack in the late afternoon and in the evening for the last couple of days because I've felt weak and fuzzy headed, didn't want to push my body too much while I'm not on top form.

Dinner last night was a red pesto pasta bake full of peas and onion - I love pasta! Dropped most of the big weekend's water weight. Dinner tonight is burgers so I am looking forward to loading mine up with cheese, coleslaw, gherkins and jalapeños. Yum!
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Feel better soon, Sam!
  • mittenswillet
    feel better soon Sam 0)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Feel better. I'm now just about over mine.
  • samgamgee
    Thanks all! I'm pretty much over it, got a bit of a sore throat still but it's not too bad. Yesterday went well, I got in my 10,000 steps, had some great burgers and stayed within my calories. Down 1.2 lbs this morning, that's the remainder of the weekend's water weight plus some of the half pound of actual fat I reckon I put on. Was 138 on Saturday morning, 141.6 on Monday morning and down to 138.4 now, should be back to 138 by Monday. It's great to be able to go to a big family event and know that any weight gain is totally manageable.

I'm really loving doing OMAD, not having to worry about restricting my dinner calories just makes everything in my life run so much more smoothly!
  • mittenswillet
    oh wow congrats on the loss!!!!