I give up :(

It's been about 2 weeks now since I started trying to actually lose weight. I am 155lbs and I'm down to 153 now but it goes up and down. I've been working out but I pulled a muscle a few days ago and now I can't work out. So now I'm trying to eat less calories than I burn. I LOVE food so this is like the hardest thing ever. I feel like I'm always starving myself. Today I ate a little bit of spaghetti and went to work, while I was at work I was starving so I ate like 3 cookies, hot chips, and Pringles. Even after all that I felt like I was starving so when I came home I got a big bowl of spaghetti and ate it all. I don't think I can do this anymore, I should just give up! Hmmm being fat isn't all that bad right.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I'm not surprised your starving if you are trying to eat such high calorie food.

Have you tried eating lean protein and low calorie veggies to fill you up?

You really have two choices, stay fat and maybe get even fatter or cut back on the calories. Only you can decide.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    It's been about 2 weeks now since I started trying to actually lose weight. I am 155lbs and I'm down to 153 now but it goes up and down. I've been working out but I pulled a muscle a few days ago and now I can't work out. So now I'm trying to eat less calories than I burn. I LOVE food so this is like the hardest thing ever. I feel like I'm always starving myself. Today I ate a little bit of spaghetti and went to work, while I was at work I was starving so I ate like 3 cookies, hot chips, and Pringles. Even after all that I felt like I was starving so when I came home I got a big bowl of spaghetti and ate it all. I don't think I can do this anymore, I should just give up! Hmmm being fat isn't all that bad right.

plan your day. Plan your calories to fit into the day. Plan so you don't have moments where you eat cookies chips and pringles, but eat satisfying filling meals.

you've been at this a couple of weeks and have seen some progress, weight loss is never linear, but if you walk away after just two weeks you're only disappointing yourself. You can do it. Weight loss IS made in the kitchen so think about what you eat. Protein can make you feel fuller so balance your carbs and protein better. You may not have that much to lose in which case the weight loss will be slower. A couple of pounds is still a couple of pounds?
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Sounds like you are looking for any reason to give up. If you're serious about losing weight you need to buckle down and actually count, and log, your calories. You can figure out a way to stay full all day without resorting to a binge. You can figure out a way to burn calories even with a pulled muscle.

If you're not happy about your weight, do something about it.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    You're giving up after 2 weeks??!?! Really?

Anyway, you don't have to work out to lose weight. Weight loss is all about HOW much you're eating and exercise is for fitness. You should use a food scale to figure out just how much you're eating. Also, I'd suggest reading the stickies in this forum to educate yourself on a realistic, sustainable weight loss plan.
  • zaynesmommy2015
    zaynesmommy2015 Posts: 20 Member
    I don't eat sweets like that. It was just last night, except the Pringles though. I work overnight so I don't know when it's a good time to eat, and umm I don't really know how to cook so I just eat what my husband cooks. It's usually not healthy food, or I just eat out.
    It's not easy to cut back on calories, maybe it is for you guys but not me
  • runrascal
    runrascal Posts: 53 Member
    Okay so two weeks is nothing - don't give up before you have given yourself a chance to succeed. Weigh your food, log it onto MFP and check out the calories. Yup - you get bugger all pasta/cookie/chip per calorie. Now have a look at what you get if you choose the same amount of calories but in some protein? and how vast an amount of veggies you get. Then start to make some choices. Choose to succeed and give yourself a break - two weeks is nowhere.
  • zaynesmommy2015
    zaynesmommy2015 Posts: 20 Member
    I don't exactly know how to reply back to people.

I don't know what a food scale is and most of the time I don't know how many calories of food I'm eating. Like the spaghetti I just ate, how I'm I supposed to know how many calories that it has?
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    2 weeks is not enough time. I agree that it seems like you are looking for a way out. Pasta is fine if it fits in your deficit plan. Does it? It's calorie dense food. In other words, lots of calories for not a lot of food. Same thing with chips and sweets. Try to make better choices like getting enough protein and vegetables which will make you feel more full. I've heard it said that it takes 30 days to create new habits. You will need to plan ahead for food so you don't make last minute, poor choices that derail your plan.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I don't eat sweets like that. It was just last night, except the Pringles though. I work overnight so I don't know when it's a good time to eat, and umm I don't really know how to cook so I just eat what my husband cooks. It's usually not healthy food, or I just eat out.

Honestly, its not about eating/not eating sweets. It's not even about what time you eat or eating "healthy". It's all about eating a little less and moving a little more. My husband cooks 90% of the time, not super "healthy" and I've still lost weight. Get yourself a food scale, measure/weigh all your portions, try to stay at or under your calorie goal, have realistic expectations, realize weight loss isn't linear. Be consistent. It's really not that hard.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    You had 1 bad day and you want to give up? ooook.

Sorry but if one day is going to make you stop trying then you really don't want to change yourself at all.

Change is hard and you need to constantly push and fight.Bad days will happen...but its what you do after those bad days that define if you will succeed or not.

Being fat or not is your choice alone so make it and commit.

Sorry if this seems harsh but its the truth
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member

Well I'm sorry to have to say this OP. You either really want to lose weight or you don't. Sounds like a lot of excuses here. Your a mom (from your username) and unless you have a furbaby you need to learn how to cook the basics.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

I'm assuming if there were meatballs or other protein with the spaghetti you would have mentioned it.

Sure, when I eat a lot of carbs and insufficient protein I will want to eat and eat and eat. My body is looking for the protein. Moving forward, try making sure you get protein with every meal or snack and see how that effects your appetite. I strive for about 30% protein to 40% carbs. I don't obsess about the numbers, I just look to see if there is almost as much protein as carbs.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    The first 2 weeks IS hard, you are trying to go against a tidal wave of eating habits that you are used to: stick with it! I found eating more protein helped stave off hunger (hard boiled eggs, sardines, chicken tenderloin), but it's really about finding what works for you. :) CHIN UP. Set a tiny goal and meet it, so if that means you increase your water for that day: do it. If that means drinking crystal light instead of a soda: do it. Swapping out a fast food meal for one you made at home: do it. Tiny steps toward a healthier you add up and make a difference...and if it helps: friend some motivational people. Every single person here has a day where they struggle. Sometimes knowing you are not alone is huge!
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    You have to start from the beginning and take more control. Buy a food scale, it costs no more than 10-15 bucks. You can get it on amazon. Weigh your pasta and look up how much calories it has. You should eat regularly - try to include protein veggies, and some carbs. If you do not cook, you need to talk to your husband about it who does and do this together. Kitchen is 80% of your success - I am the proof, I love exercising, I always have and I still have gotten heavy b/c I ate 2-3 times as much as I burn. Feel free to add me as a friend and ask me anything. You can totally do it but you have to invest the time and energy.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Plan your day the night before. Prelog everything and make changes if you have to. Add in some fruit, veg and protein. Figure out your calorie goals with an online calculator or the mfp one and stick in that range. You don't have to have hardcore workouts, stick to walking or something easter until you are healed. We all have bad days. I have had to log 12 chocolate chip cookies in the past. But we get past it and we succeed! Give yourself a kick in the pants and you can do it too!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Use the MFP database to search for what you are eating. If you're not ready to calculate each food based on your cooking, you can guesstimate using what others have put in. "Homemade spaghetti" will give you a close estimate of what you ate. A food scale (which you can buy at walmart/grocery stores) literally weighs your food so you know exactly how much you are eating. Without a scale, you can guess using measuring cups (but best to overestimate your number if you do it this way).

Every time you eat, log it. Eat a medium-sized apple, log a medium-sized apple. Eat 14 Pringles, log 14 Pringles. Stay as close to your calorie goal for the day as you can.

Saying you don't cook is another excuse. You didn't cook the cookies or chips. You can open a bag of lettuce to eat with your spaghetti. Or a can of green beans.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited January 2016
    People here are giving you good responses, but you're not listening. If you wanna give up, give up. It's your life, your responsibility. You don't know what a food scale is? Really? Look it up? You don't wanna count calories or exercise or spend effort learning how to cook nutrient dense food? Then you're in the wrong place. People here will help and support you, but no one else can do the work for you.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    A food scale will be found in the kitchen section of any big box store. $10-20. You can weigh your food in grams and get a far more acute picture of what you are eating. It is very eye opening. Pasta servings are not worth it to me but I found I could have more nut butter than I expected. They are so worth the cost, the only gadget you really need to lose weight.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    3AAnn3 wrote: »
    People here are giving you good responses, but you're not listening. If you wanna give up, give up. It's your life, your responsibility. You don't know what a food scale is? Really? Look it up? You don't wanna count calories or exercise or spend effort learning how to cook nutrient dense food? Then you're in the wrong place. People here will help and support you, but no one else can do the work for you.

QFT.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    It really sounds like you are not ready to make the commitment to lose weight. When you are really ready, all of those excuses will just go away. But right now, they seem to be what is driving you. I do not mean any disrespect. I too, had those excuses - no time to work out, health issues so I could not work out, not knowing what/how to cook, etc.