period and weight loss?

Hi
Can you gain weight while on your period but lose it as soon as your period is done? If so about how long does it take before your body loses the extra weight gained from your period? Please and thank you for posting.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    It's water weight fluctuations.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Water weight fluctuations, its totally normal and usually goes away soon after your period is over.

There are a million and one threads on mfp regarding this, you could always do a search for those threads for more answers.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Totally normal. I'm usually up 2ish lbs during TOM, then it's gone by the next week, usually plus a lb.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Yes. I gained about two pounds last week when it was about to start, and lost it this week when it was finishing up.

However, I have had the water weight stick around for a week or two. So don't stress about it. As long as you're sticking to your deficit, the water weight will come off when it decides to.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Yes, although it's always been very variable for me. Sometimes I am able to see loses during that time, other times nothing changes. It is rare that I gain more than a pound, but I think that is a little on the abnormal side.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Yes this is a common pattern for many women. As stated above, it's just water retention. It seems to vary from woman to woman as to how long it lasts. Some women see a drop on the scale immediately after their period ends. Others see it up to a week later. The best thing to do is track your own cycle and see what happens in your own body.
  • mcconnelllkelly
    mcconnelllkelly Posts: 8 Member
    My weight always fluctuates when I'm pmsing, not by a lot, but I go back to normal when I get my period. My roommate on the other hand says she gains up to 10 lbs while pmsing (I'm not sure why it's different, assuming it's because we're two totally different body types and I'm on the pill).

“Weight gain happens five days before your period, but you'll be back to normal once you start,” she explains. (Find out What Your Period Means for Your Workout Schedule.) Pre-period water weight can range from half of a pound to 10 pounds, usually averaging around five for most women, Dardik explains." http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/why-you-gain-weight-your-period
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Thank you. I will wait a week before I start to worry then.
  • MajesticBlondee25
    MajesticBlondee25 Posts: 24 Member
    I lose the instant I start my period. I tend to weigh more the week before my period by as much as 5-7lbs and then when my period hits I am back to my Normal weight.. However I don't see any drops beyond that until the bleeding has stopped. I'm on mine now and I'm actually up for once despite only eating maintenance calories ( since my period really was killing me on a deficit)... But I know as soon as it ends in about 2 days I will be down a pound or two. It *kitten* with all of us.. Don't let it get to you :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Yup. Was really tempted not to do my weigh-in this morning! LOL
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I start gaining weight a few days before my period starts and exactly a week after it starts it all comes off in a whoosh.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    I fluctuate an average of 5 pounds. Sometimes up, sometimes down...if you can believe it. For me it is either before or during. But as soon as its over my weight goes back to normal.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Yup water retention as others have said I am up minimum of 7lbs and 3 inches on my abdomen a 5-7 days before my period then it just vanishes a day or so in to it. Joy of being a woman right there lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Yep. I'm a week from my period and I usually stop weighing in right around now and won't weigh again until it's well over. There's no need for me to see that gain when I know it's there and it's just going to drive me bonkers anyway.