Diet pills!

So, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but after a scroll I couldn't see anything so...

What's the consensus with diet pills? Are some perscription ones worth getting? What is the science behind them? And with a calorie deficit and exercise, are they likely to contribute positively to weight loss?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Eating less calories works. Spend money on a food scale instead of money on pills with nasty side effects.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    where the heck are these Drs that so easily give out prescriptions? Mine would always tell me I need to lose weight but would NEVER offer up meds for it, not that I wanted them either.

I believe they typically reduce your appetite, so you'll consume less, which really isn't going to teach you anything about eating properly. They are meant to be short term, so once you go off, your appetite will be right back & you'll likely end up in old habits.

...plus nasty side effects

I ballooned up to 230 from 110 in my mid/late 20's...I took over 100# back off with diet & exercise in my late 30's. Surgery is unnecessary, as are pills.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    There are no easy or quick fix solutions to weight loss. Dieting sucks. Exercising sucks. But what you should take away from dieting is better eating habits. For example, while I have pretty much always eaten healthy, I didn't realize until recently I had major issues with portions (ie: eating 2 - 3x what I thought I was). Diet pills won't help with that. When I got a gym membership and could plug in my biometrics into the machine and then workout, I realized how much effort it took to burn off a measly 200 calories. Diet pills won't teach you that, either. I would advise staying away from "quick fix" solutions, as they will allow you to drop the weight quickly, but then once you stop using them, it will likely come rushing back.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    My uncle died due to a side effect of diet pills. Sudden heart failure at 32 years old. They're really not meant for people who are just "over weight" and even then, I feel like they're not necessary.

• LittleDreamer78
    LittleDreamer78 Posts: 2 Member
    I started taking Phentermine this month, it's working and there's not many side effects, for me. But you get used to them and have to stop taking them for a few days every few weeks or so to get them to start working again. They are prescription only. I was also taking Topamax to help with craving sweet foods, but they made me too tired, so I stopped taking them after a few days. I'm not planning to take the medicine for a long period of time, just to get me going. It helps give me energy and makes me not as hungry as normal, but I still eat. And I'm eating healthier now too and only drinking water, no soft drinks.
  • StephaniexWins
    StephaniexWins Posts: 10 Member
    They are basically speed. If you have an unknown heart issue you are going to be in danger. It should be a last resort.

Days I feel like asking for them but honestly they scare me. Unless it's a natural supplement that is just meant to speed your metabolism naturally I wouldn't bother.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Diet pills don't teach you how to eat. As soon as you get off the diet pills you'll gain everything back.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    I hear diet pills are a great way for your bank account to lose some "weight".
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    my old primary care physician (I moved and had to change, *sad face*) always told me that there is no "magic pill" and that the only real way to lose weight, and keep it off, is to change your lifestyle and your mindset about health. There are pills that could probably help give you a boost, but in general any weight you lose is gonna be from your diet and how active you are. In my experience the pills really just keep you super hydrated, and get rid of excess water...after that, the weight will come back unless you change the way you eat. I say skip it and focus on more realistic long terms goals you can stick with. Good luck.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    where the heck are these Drs that so easily give out prescriptions? Mine would always tell me I need to lose weight but would NEVER offer up meds for it, not that I wanted them either.

I believe they typically reduce your appetite, so you'll consume less, which really isn't going to teach you anything about eating properly. They are meant to be short term, so once you go off, your appetite will be right back & you'll likely end up in old habits.

...plus nasty side effects

I ballooned up to 230 from 110 in my mid/late 20's...I took over 100# back off with diet & exercise in my late 30's. Surgery is unnecessary, as are pills.

this
  • Dstamm09
    Dstamm09 Posts: 3 Member
    What about natural supplements? What do people think about taking those. Any good vitamines that we could take for extra boost? Tia..
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Dstamm09 wrote: »
    What about natural supplements? What do people think about taking those. Any good vitamines that we could take for extra boost? Tia..

With weight loss as a goal? No.

If you're not meeting minimum amounts of certain nutrients, then perhaps a vitamin supplement would be appropriate. But that has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Dstamm09 wrote: »

Nope. Sorry no easy way out. Calorie deficit and that's it.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited January 2016
    I fell for the garcinia cambodia or whatever it is back in the day. It was a stupid waste of money that did nothing for me and lord knows what I was putting in my body. The magic pill that finally worked for me? Watching what I ate and logging everything. If there was a magical diet pill that worked, I'd assume everyone would be taking it and not on here still logging their food :)
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Diet pills terrible and all in your head with bad side effects
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Diet pills can be dangerous to your health and have long-term side effects. Proper food intake, sleep, and exercise will accomplish the same goal, for longer, and with great side effects!
  • Veg_count
    Veg_count Posts: 6 Member
    People on this thread are so rude.
    I have pcos and Im borderline diabetic. I have tried dieting on my own and the same thing happens every time: normal diet+exercise doesnt work and I gain/stay the same weight or I have to go to extremes, ill loose about 0.5kg per fortnight then gain it back as soon as i eat a Normal human amount or dont go to the gym 7xpw (1600cals is a normal amount btw)
    Saying that diet pills are weight loss surgery is a big hoax, that those people are lazy and "its all in our head" and were basically taking 'speed' is highly offensive. Im sorry my metabolism is fu*ked and so are my hormones. Way to go to make people who need weight loss surgery because they have an addiction to food feel like *kitten* for it and way to go to make people with medical issues feel like *kitten* for needing help too.

If your looking into diet pills go to your doctor and ask them for advice. Dont buy anything online and make sure you have tried proper dieting and exercise beforehand and maybe ask for an appointment with a dietician to help you while on or before u start taking the medication. And be sure to drink plenty of water aswell. Ive heard duromine 15mg is usually good with few side effects but it is slow to aid weightloss and metaformin can help if you have insulin issues. But these are prescription only.

A daily multivitamin is good for general wellbeing. :)
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    People with medical issues are an entirely different story.

Nobody needs weight loss surgery for food addiction, that's total nonsense.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    There are no easy or quick fix solutions to weight loss. Dieting sucks. Exercising sucks. But what you should take away from dieting is better eating habits. For example, while I have pretty much always eaten healthy, I didn't realize until recently I had major issues with portions (ie: eating 2 - 3x what I thought I was). Diet pills won't help with that. When I got a gym membership and could plug in my biometrics into the machine and then workout, I realized how much effort it took to burn off a measly 200 calories. Diet pills won't teach you that, either. I would advise staying away from "quick fix" solutions, as they will allow you to drop the weight quickly, but then once you stop using them, it will likely come rushing back.

This
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Veg_count wrote: »
    People on this thread are so rude.
    I have pcos and Im borderline diabetic. I have tried dieting on my own and the same thing happens every time: normal diet+exercise doesnt work and I gain/stay the same weight or I have to go to extremes, ill loose about 0.5kg per fortnight then gain it back as soon as i eat a Normal human amount or dont go to the gym 7xpw (1600cals is a normal amount btw)
    Saying that diet pills are weight loss surgery is a big hoax, that those people are lazy and "its all in our head" and were basically taking 'speed' is highly offensive. Im sorry my metabolism is fu*ked and so are my hormones. Way to go to make people who need weight loss surgery because they have an addiction to food feel like *kitten* for it and way to go to make people with medical issues feel like *kitten* for needing help too.

If your looking into diet pills go to your doctor and ask them for advice. Dont buy anything online and make sure you have tried proper dieting and exercise beforehand and maybe ask for an appointment with a dietician to help you while on or before u start taking the medication. And be sure to drink plenty of water aswell. Ive heard duromine 15mg is usually good with few side effects but it is slow to aid weightloss and metaformin can help if you have insulin issues. But these are prescription only.

A daily multivitamin is good for general wellbeing. :)

hitting the LIKE button. Most diet pills basically ARE speed... My endocrinologist recommended them and I put him off for half a year.. when I realized I am no longer able to control my night time snacking on my own, I gave in. I'm using them as a necessary tool to get back on track and break some bad habits. for the record I had a 4 year log-in history... lost about 30 pounds, screwed up my metabolism and thyroid levels, gained some weight back hoping to re-set and am now, after holding everything that entered my mouth in extra weight, am now able to lose again when I log carefully. for a while I was eating 1200 calories just to maintain. I think I'm on the right track and the diet pills (which I don't take every day) are helping.