Daily Healthy Habits Challenge-JANUARY

Replies

• Julipax
    Julipax Posts: 47 Member
    Date: 1/17
    Vitamin: Yes
    Water (8+): doubt it, but Diet Cokes still reduced.
    Exercise calories burned: Rest day
    Stayed under calorie goal: No, but we went out to eat and I wasn't hungry so had 1 street taco and a veggie boat from BWW. I made up for that after dinner!

Goal weight for 2/1: 160
    Current weight week of 1/18: Thinking it was Sunday, forgot to weigh this morning.
    Gain/loss vs last week: ???

Current struggles: H2O

Current strengths: Honest logging. Stopping eating once full.
  • Julipax
    I'm aware. They are correct. However, with my activity and a med I take, I need more like 9-12 glasses. I have learned to ignore thirst until I get tired. Diet Coke cannot/should not be where I get half my fluid, and it is. Please no one send me those articles. I've read them and the info graphics. I'm aware of what I'm doing to my body and the disappearing enamel on my teeth:-)
  • Julipax
    Date: 1/18
    Water (8+): nope
    Exercise calories burned: Unplanned rest day due to crick in neck
    Stayed under calorie goal: No, but I needed a splurge for my

Current weight week of 1/18: 160.4
    Gain/loss vs last week: -2!!! Well hello! Wasn't expecting that after last night's pizza and peppermint bark!

Current struggles: H2O

Sometimes, I lose sight of the progress I'm making. I've lost 10 lbs. since 11/22. I notice when I focus on what it takes to make the scale move vs. focusing on the number on the scale, my progress feels effortless. I am also trying to prevent a weight plateau. I hate those and they normally happen to me when I want that 3rd digit to change from a zero to a 9 just so I can say good-bye to that decade. I know if I keep doing what I'm doing, I'll continue to lose, but this time, I'm instead making small changes every 2 weeks. I've increased my level on the elliptical every 2 weeks. I'm swimming harder more frequently during practice. I love shattering goals. I can't decide to make February's scale goal more like 8 lbs instead of 5 lbs. hmmm. We'll see.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    edited January 2016
    Honest logging! My God twice this week I just gave up logging towards the end of the day because I knew I'd be over.

I appreciate all the posts!
  • newbie2143
    newbie2143 Posts: 328 Member
    Date: 1/18:
    1. Exercised (yes) : No -snowstorm... Not an excuse, but felt like it yesterday! Gym tonight for indoor activity.
    2. Completed food diary (yes) : Yes, under calorie goal
    3. Avoid late afternoon snack : Yes

Goal wt. 2/1: 144.5 (1.5 lbs/wk)
    This week's wt.: 147.5

Struggles: Being active on work days when the weather is poor. Finding a buddy to go to the gym with me helps!
    Success: Got back on track with my eating yesterday.

@Julipax - Sorry for the article send... I just thought of you when I read it, but I get it that your situation is different.
  • newbie2143
    Date: 1/19:
    1. Exercised (yes): yes! Got to the gym, and was so glad I did!

This week's wt.: tbd Friday
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Date: 1/20
    Exercise calories burned: Around 300
    Stayed under calorie goal: I think so

Goal weight for 2/1: 124
    Current weight week of 1/18: 122
    Gain/loss vs last week: -1
    struggles: H2O

Successes: I bought a scooter to reduce the walking I do so my hip can heal. Reduced the steps I take by 30%
  • Julipax
    Date: 1/19
    Exercise calories burned: Have I said I hate Girl Scout cookie season as a leader/cookie mom?
    Stayed under calorie goal: yes, but ate more than I should.

Gain/loss vs last week: -2!!!

Current struggles: Apparently cookie season and giving up a bad habit like Diet Coke are not copacetic.

Current strengths: Honest logging.

Welcome @lemonychild @47Jacqueline !! @lemonychild if you bite it, then you write it, but don't give up. Just don't dig the hole deeper!
  • newbie2143
    Date: 1/19:
    1. Exercised (yes): yes, 6km run

This week's wt.: tbd Friday

Struggles: Still thinking about that "after work food treat" I eliminated....I hope eventually it won't be a daily exercise in distracting myself to resist it. Is it true it takes 100 days to establish a new habit?

Strengths: Hhonest logging, Happy I am finding ways to be active daily. Know. Have learned my lesson about weekends :)
  • Julipax
    Exercise calories burned: 617 That 3,200 swim felt terrible though. Not a fan of those days.
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes

Current struggles: Bad habit

Current strengths: Honest logging. Frustration is feedback. It means I'm motivated even if it also means I'm discouraged. It's up to me to kick the determination in gear when that happens.
  • newbie2143
    1. Exercised (yes) : back to the gym, mostly weights
    3. Avoid late afternoon snack : NO. I think I actually WAS hungry by the time I got home from work, but if I'm honest, there was also that same old need to "treat" myself after a very hectic day at work. I will make sure I eat enough at lunch today to see me through to supper.

Current wt.: 147.0
    vs. last week: -0.5 :(
    (Bummer, but not unexpected after getting off track last weekend. The scale is still moving in the right direction at least. Might be tough to get to my 2/1 goal with only 10 days left, but I hope to be close).

Struggles: apparently, I'm not done with the afternoon eating struggle quite yet!
    Success: went to the gym last night, even though I had a super long day at work

• Julipax
    Date: 1/21
    Exercise calories burned: 596
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes

Current struggles: Bad habit

Current strengths: Determination! I just joined a 12-week Biggest Loser Challenge in my city. That will keep me motivated! Weighing clothed on another person's scale doesn't thrill me, because that extra 2 lbs. difference ticks me off, but it'll be fine. I would love to be 146 by 3/5, but that's not realistic. 150 might be.
  • newbie2143
    Date: 1/22 (just noticed I have been mis-dating these for a few days... Both yesterday and the day before should have been dated one day later).
    1. Exercised (yes) : swam, 1150m
    3. Avoid late afternoon snack : Yes.

Struggles: it's the weekend. I know I am more likely to get off track with my eating today and tomorrow, but I don't want another disappointment next Friday.

Success: commitment to logging. Usually by the end of the second week, I am getting sick of logging and the slow to minimal progress on weight loss. I have been logging for 3 weeks now, and for some reason this time it is different. I feel committed and patient with myself. I think it may have something to do with this board, so thank you, @Julipax for setting it up. Daily reflection on behavioural goals, struggles, and successes is, for me anyway, a really great way to stay focused on the big picture. Breaking down the long-term weight goal into weekly and monthly targets makes the slow progress that is normal and healthy seem more do-able. Grateful for all I have learned this month.
  • newbie2143
    Date: 1/23
    1. Exercised (yes) : 7.5 k run

Struggles: Eating properly on the weekend. Not just quantity (I did stick to my calorie goal yesterday), but quality.
    Success: I didn't eat any of my husband's popcorn at the movies last night!! :)
  • Julipax
    Date: 1/22-23
    Exercise calories burned: 871! 90 min swim/rest day
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes/no

Current struggles: Let my weekend lose a tad bit of calorie control

Current strengths: Well! Friday was awesome, but Saturday and today from a calorie stand point were enjoyable, but not within limits of a person who wants to lose weight. Oh well, it's all feedback and tomorrow I'm back at it including a 60 minute swim for maximum distance/speed. I've never done that before. That will be feedback, too.
  • newbie2143
    ^ Holy smokes - 871 calories... That's one heck of a workout!

Date: 1/24
    1. Exercised (yes) : gym for mostly weights

• Julipax
    newbie2143 wrote: »
    ^ Holy smokes - 871 calories... That's one heck of a workout!

Thanks! 90 minute swim. I was trying to prepare for tonight's ePostal swim: 60 minutes for distance. My goggles were causing a compression headache and I only got 2.5 hours of sleep, so tonight was terrible, only 3,700 in 60 minutes. Plus, this weekend's inefficient calorie consumption did not help.
  • Julipax
    Date: 1/24
    Exercise calories burned: rest
    Stayed under calorie goal: No, but kicked it in gear today

Current weight week of 1/25: 160
    Gain/loss vs last week: -.4 (Hey, it's the right direction.)

Current struggles: Let my busy weekend dictate my menu

Current strengths: Goal setting. Two months ago I set a goal to log for 30 days and then 60 and then 100. I'm currently up over 60 days. It's that whole don't quit thing. I'm also doing things differently to keep from getting bored, like starting this challenge, joining the Biggest Loser group in my city, and signing up for swim meets, not just swim practice. Believe me, I loathe logging, but I'm trying to tie it in with my goals, and vary what I do, so that I have more data points to process and gain feedback on what works/doesn't work for me. This week, I wasn't as diligent with my dairy and oil servings, and the scale showed it. Using logging as just a tool for feedback rather than a chore to keep me accountable really helps my attitude.

• newbie2143
    Date: 1/25
    1. Exercised (yes) : no, took a day off

Current wt.: tbd Friday

Struggle/success: forgot my "go home apple", so was hungry after work. Didn't want to snack with supper so close, so solved my problem by moving supper up by 1/2 hr.