Did you get to like grains?!

CeeBeeSlim
CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,261 Member
Hello All. My trainer read me the riot act about my nutrition. Too low calories, not quality food. She told me to introduce grains - I thought she meant whole wheat bread - but she said no - quinoa, rye, barley, buckwheat, spelt, oats - other stuff like hemp and chia seeds. Good lord - I'm a meat and potatoes type of gal so this is all new (except oats - oatmeal) but will give this a go. Sigh!! Any tips, recipes? I can do oatmeal but this other stuff?! Is it or can I make it tasty?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i dont eat it cause i dont care for it.

why does your trainer saying you are eating too few calories? what are your stats and weight goals?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited January 2016
    oats, quinoa, brown rice, and corn are my go to grains...and yes, I like them. Barley is good in soup...I've never tried spelt and I don't eat hemp or chia seeds. There are a lot of perfectly good whole grains without diving into stuff like that.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Nothing wrong with trying new foods if you want to, but you can eat bread, meat and potatoes if you like that. Grains are high in calories, so they can help you get in enough, but a lot of foods are high energy density. Are you using your food diary? Can't you spot where you're lacking nutrients? Unless your trainer is a nutritionist/dietician (I can never remember which one is the real deal and which is the trickster), you can disregard their advice.

I have thrown away buckwheat and quinoa, haven't tried chia, but I eat rye, barley and oats - and wheat, corn and rice, all the time.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    I'm 51, 5'3, and 132 lbs. GW - 123-125. Reached GW a couple of times at 1200 calories per day and lots of strength training but since I don't stay there it's not sustainable I'm figuring. Eldercare stress leads to one high calorie meal, then another and then I'm back at 132. This time I hired the trainer who told me 1200 was too low for me given I work out 5 days a week, two of those 5 days I do back to back classes. Because i did reach my goal twice at 1200 the thought of going to 1400 (minimum she says) scares me. But heck somethings not working so I figure I'd try it her way - she says I'm not fueling it enough.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I occasionally use quinoa to replace rice in some recipes (like stuffed bell peppers) or as a base for soaking up liquids just like rice. I also really like wile rice as well. Barley is a good additive for chili because it adds some bulk and has a similar texture to ground meat. I had barley in a soup once I think in Scotland? I'm apparently not very adventurous with my grains...
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    With the exception of oats, I eat none of those things your trainer listed. I've tried them, but don't care for them. If you are keen to try something new, by all means, do so. You may enjoy some of those. Trying new things led me to discovering eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts. I like those. But I'm just not a big eater. Gimme veggies and potatoes, please.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    I've never gone to a trainer, but is it their job to advise you on nutrition? Hmmm....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Nope I don't. I have oatmeal occasionally but that's pretty much it (and I can't eat it before working out or I get massive nausea).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I agree with upping your calories. Perhaps grains are mentioned because they are a relatively cheap way to increase your calories. Since you are a meat and potatoes gal I suggest trying one new grain a week, and keep the recipes you like. No need to buy loads of these grains just to slowly go rancid in your cupboard. Buy small amounts and gradually add more variety to your diet. Bulk Barn is a great source for different grains. Here's how I like my grains:

Rye, like it in a loaf, in a Reuben sandwich.
    whole wheat bread - sounds good!
    quinoa - boil in water 1/2 proportion (one cup grain to two cups water) until water absorbed. You may cook in broth for more flavour. Treat as a side to your meal.
    whole barley - simmered for twenty minutes in a soup. You can get those soup mixes where you boil the whole thing and it usually includes barley, lentils, spices, and bouillion.
    buckwheat - can be prepared like the quinoa or the barley.
    spelt - prepared as described above.
    oats - you recognize.
    hemp - very high calorie, to be eaten more like a nut or seed than a grain. It can usually be found in organic cereal mixes and I wouldn't eat more than a tablespoon at once.
    chia seeds - very high fiber, very high calorie, eaten much like hemp. It absorbs many times it's weight in water or milk.

Look up Dragon's Blend cereal, which will have both hemp and chia in it. You might like it.

Others have mentioned corn and rice; also very good grain choices.

There's a fancy way of preparing grains for a tasty side dish. My meat-and-potatoes man likes when I do this. What you do is heat the grains in a pan in oil until well toasted, with or without onion. Then you add water to the pan and cook until the water is absorbed. The grain when cooked this way has a nice texture. Here's a rather (complicated) example.

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/cook/recipe/braised-buckwheat-with-roast-beetroot-and-eggplant-20130725-2qlf5.html
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Nothing wrong with trying new foods if you want to, but you can eat bread, meat and potatoes if you like that. Grains are high in calories, so they can help you get in enough, but a lot of foods are high energy density. Are you using your food diary? Can't you spot where you're lacking nutrients? Unless your trainer is a nutritionist/dietician (I can never remember which one is the real deal and which is the trickster), you can disregard their advice.

Exactly this.

I don't eat a ton of grains because I don't like them enough to spend a lots of calories on, and prefer to get my nutrients from other foods, like tubers, legumes, and of course vegetables. I do eat quinoa, barley, and oats, as well as some whole wheat based foods, and don't mind buckwheat but don't go out of my way to have it. I have zero interest in hemp and chia seeds--I think they are just trendy now, and I think I can get what they offer through my normal diet.

I eat corn a lot in the summer when it's in season here and quite available from local farms (fresh corn is the most delicious grain IMO).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    This time I hired the trainer who told me 1200 was too low for me given I work out 5 days a week, two of those 5 days I do back to back classes. Because i did reach my goal twice at 1200 the thought of going to 1400 (minimum she says) scares me. But heck somethings not working so I figure I'd try it her way - she says I'm not fueling it enough.

This, on the other hand, seems like good advice from the trainer. I'm 5'3, 46, and 125, and no way would 1200 be enough for me when working out hard like that. I last lost weight with a goal of around 1650 (I've been taking a break for a while).
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    If you're a meat and potatoes type of gal, then throw some meat and potatoes on top of them oats and call it a meal.
    You don't have to eat those things by themselves
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Corn and rice and oatmeal and wheat count as grains.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Thank you all! Geez, it's probably because I live in Nyc but an organic bag of quinoa was close to $13.00?!?! I lost my seven pounds after I wrestled the grocer to the floor! Haha! I bought a cheaper quinoa and will start with that. Great advice all and thanks for the recipe ideas. I won't do my usual and buy 18 bags of every grain - to only stare at it in my pantry. My trainer is NOT a nutritionist and I like the idea of trying new veggies. I'll get my brain around upping my calories. "Comforting hemp!" LOL!! (I'll have to figure out how to reply directly to by embedding the original quote.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited January 2016
    Variety is the spice of life! Why not try one new recipe per week?

I use chia seeds all the time in smoothies. They are the secret ingredient for keeping me fuller longer.

For buckwheat, I make Kasha Varnishkes - Jewish Buckwheat Groats With Noodles. The recipe I use is from the Joy of Cooking and includes mushrooms sauteed with the onions. I was actually going to make meatloaf and potatoes Friday but maybe I will make this instead, cooking the hamburger with the mushrooms and onions.

Barley is great in stews, especially Beef & Barley Soup: http://www.garnishwithlemon.com/beef-barley-soup/
    My Joy calls for 3/4 C rather than the 1 C in this adaptation.

I make a Three Grain Pilaf with quinoa, millet, and rice. You'll want to shop around for quinoa - now that it's trendy, demand has outstripped supply and prices have skyrocketed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Who grew up eating tasty plates of comforting hemp, quinoa, buckwheat or spelt? I think you'll really be ok not eating this.

I tasted things only as an adult - like pastrami, shrimp, pasta fagioli soup, artichoke hearts, eggplant, peppers, and apricot custard danishes and fell in undying culinary love. But this stuff actually tastes good and has a long history of being hotly in demand for tasting good.

When I was a kid, there weren't any local options for alternative grains so my mother cofounded a natural foods coop in our town so we'd be able to get that and other foods.