The Red Squad Fanatics

Replies

• happykee
    happykee Posts: 31 Member
    I'm doing well cutting out sugar, but now I am eating too much sodium. Any idea how I can get good flavor?
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    @happykee : garlic. cinnamon. olive oil.

also, reduce processed foods. when you make it yourself, there is almost always less sodium!
  • FitFabJenny
    FitFabJenny Posts: 26 Member
    lcuconley wrote: »
    @happykee : garlic. cinnamon. olive oil.

also, reduce processed foods. when you make it yourself, there is almost always less sodium!

In addition to the inherent benefit of less sodium in your home cooking, I feel like when you cut back on processed foods anything that has loads of sodium tastes WAY TOO SALTY. Your palate changes in a way. Same with sugar (IMHO). Keep up the good work everyone!!
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    We have been doing reduced sodium. I agree with the less processed stuff. It is amazing how much salt is in something like Campbell's soup! Once you have cut it out for a while (even a week or so), things will start tasting better again, and the foods that you once that were good, will taste very salty!!
  • happykee
    That makes sense. My favorite salad dressings are loaded with sodium. I haven't made any that taste nearly as good, but I'll keep trying.
  • lcuconley
    happykee wrote: »
    That makes sense. My favorite salad dressings are loaded with sodium. I haven't made any that taste nearly as good, but I'll keep trying.

make sure you take advantage of tangy: balsalmic vinegar, lemon, etc.
  • jw574
    jw574 Posts: 29 Member
    edited January 2016
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    Here is the recipe for the soup. I haven't made it before. I'm thinking of adding a little sausage too.

http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/crockpot-italian-chicken-quinoa-and-vegetable-soup/

Sam, here's a protein bar rector I'm going to try today. I'll let you know hour it turns out.

http://www.runningwithspoons.com/2014/01/07/soft-and-chewy-protein-granola-bars/

I made this soup today. It was wonderful! Definitely a keeper! Thank you Mrscanmore for sharing it!
  • lcuconley
    Good morning red team! I am excited to report that I had a 0.8 pound loss this am! looking forward to yoga and soccer today...but, what to eat...?
  • FitFabJenny
    @lcuconley congrats on your loss! I have been keeping up with you on my news feed and you are a machine!! :) Have fun burning those cals and make something yummy and nourishing!!!
  • FitFabJenny
    I haven't weighed myself in a few days so I didn't psych myself out for my "official" weigh-in tomorrow. I am hoping to be down between 2.5 and 3 lbs since last Friday but we will see! GOOOOO RED TEAM.
  • Mrscanmore
    edited January 2016
    I've been doing really well with my steps, and getting my runs in, but not so great with eating choices the last few days! I've just been sooooo hungry! Which leads me to dreaming about the food I could be eating!

Glad you liked the soup :smile: Here's what we had tonight. It was really good too. I wish it would have thickened up a bit more, it was pretty runny. Maybe I didn't cook it long enough after adding the corn starch.

http://lecremedelacrumb.com/2015/04/slow-cooker-curry-cashew-chicken.html
  • lcuconley
    @FitFabJenny I totally forgot that tomorrow is weigh in day! Good luck tomorrow!

@Mrscanmore Well, you have half figured out...just remember, "you can't out-train a bad diet".
  • Mrscanmore
    I know @icuconley! But somedays it is easier said than done :wink: Such a hard habit to break!
  • happykee
    ["out-train"] I am trying to "de-rail" my brain. If I don't visualize it, I don't crave it. My problem is thatthere are temptations everywhere and I don't have will power.
  • lcuconley
    Hi all - just recorded my weigh in for the week. Down two pounds! Unfortunately, I had a little party last night and went a bit overboard on the food and drink...I will work hard to undo that slip!
  • cathyd1000
    cathyd1000 Posts: 60 Member
    lcuconley wrote: »
    Hi all - just recorded my weigh in for the week. Down two pounds! Unfortunately, I had a little party last night and went a bit overboard on the food and drink...I will work hard to undo that slip!

Down 2 lbs is great :smile:
  • cathyd1000
    So my weight has remained the same this week despite averaging 15000 steps per day, and being slightly under on my calories every single day. I am a bit discouraged, but am not going to let it derail me.
  • Mrscanmore
    cathyd1000 wrote: »
    So my weight has remained the same this week despite averaging 15000 steps per day, and being slightly under on my calories every single day. I am a bit discouraged, but am not going to let it derail me.

Great job on the steps! Eventually your good habits will catch up and you will see a loss!
  • Mrscanmore
    Here's my food plan for the week :smile:

Monday - eating at friends, celebrating Robbie Burns day. So that means haggis :neutral: , and mashed potatoes
    Tuesday - Italian sausage and potato chowder, with cauliflower cheese sticks
    Wednesday - chicken tacos with grilled pineapple salsa
    Thursday - chicken salad
    Friday -heading to the city for my daughter's soccer tournament
  • cathyd1000
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    cathyd1000 wrote: »

Great job on the steps! Eventually your good habits will catch up and you will see a loss!

Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.